Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK......here's a new one.

There have numerous errant noise posts but I haven't seen this one. Vegasdude had the tic-tic-tic......syndrome which was cured with a new idler pulley. Mine is not a tic-tic-tic........but more of a buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I kinda discovered this buzzing by accident and was wondering if everyone elses did this. While driving everything is fine. With the Pilot in park, rev the engine to at least 2,000 rpm, and then release the gas. The engine slows down but it's as if one component is not slowing down as fast as the rest of the engine and this one compenent spools down going "buzzzzzzzzzzzzz". It can be easily heard from the drivers seat but while standing over the engine and having my wife gas it and let off I hear nothing. I can't tell if this is normal or not.

I know, I know, you're wondering how I discovered this. After backing out the the driveway I didn't shift far enough and only got to "N". Oops.

Does everyone's do this?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is it something I said? :( ;)

Lots of views but no replys. Not even one smart comment. I expected more from all of you.

Well, I think I figured this one out. Straight down from the radio under the vehicle is the catalytic converter. As was the case with my '96 Integra GS-R, and something Honda is nototrious for, the heat shield around the converter is resonating and making a buzzing sound.

Having this fixed in a few weeks. Hope this helps should yours do the same.

Cheese ;)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sorry to leave ya' hangin on this one, buddy. Couldn't relate to the problem so I didn't comment. I am thankful that you posted the resolution so others can identify the source of the problem quickly should they hear the same buzz.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oh yes...

The old Honda heat shield syndrome. Every Honda / Acura I've ever owned (5) has had heat shield rattles except the '02 Civic with 5000 miles. Can't wait for my next one! :4:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ok, now I know that I was right about that weird noise.I found it out not long after my Pilot got to the house.By a habit,always press the gas couple of times to warm it up before shifting.,I noticed that there is a strange noise right after the engine rev sound goes down,it sounds like something was dry, loosing.Wonder all Pilots do that.Would it hurt anything?Anybodyelse's have this .....(not sure if it is a problem) Please share.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
N_Jay,

My bet is that it is. Mine only does it (for now) when gassing it in Park. However, my Integra buzzed only while accelerating at about 3,000 RPM's. From 0-2,900 and 3,100-8,200 RPM's there was no buzz. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Will see

Dealer looked at it at 4000 Miles, and could not find teh problem.
I take it back at 5000 miles for oil and such, and he gets another crack at it. (Should be about 2 weeks)
After that it will be calls to Honda customer service.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Shot in the dark here, but for the 3k RPM rattle under accel/load, you might check the throttle cable position bracket. It's too close to the shock tower on the X, and needs to be bent away a bit. There's a TSB for the X. Check www.acuramdx.org and do a search for "throttle cable" for a better description and pics.

Worth a shot and might save a trip.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Did a little duct tape work on the bracket and cable shown in the MDX post.
I will know tomorrow if it fixes it.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
No BUZZZZ!!!!!!!!!

Just got the word from my wife.
No Buzz! She is very happy with my temp fix.
I did the look up on ACURAMDX.ORG for "throttle cable" and found a picture of the bracket that was causeing the buzz on MDXs.
My test fix was to put sone duct tape over the bracket and to teh body to act as a dampener.
Now I just have to fnd exactly where the cable is touching that causes the buzz, and adjust the bracket to eliminate it.
:2: :2: :2:

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Re: No BUZZZZ!!!!!!!!!

N_Jay said:
Just got the word from my wife.
No Buzz! She is very happy with my temp fix.
I did the look up on ACURAMDX.ORG for "throttle cable" and found a picture of the bracket that was causeing the buzz on MDXs.
My test fix was to put sone duct tape over the bracket and to teh body to act as a dampener.
Now I just have to fnd exactly where the cable is touching that causes the buzz, and adjust the bracket to eliminate it.
:2: :2: :2:
Yay! The fix is to just bend the bracket away from the damper tower. Recheck the bolt, too, to make sure it's tight. An extra 1/4" clearance ought to do it. Be gentle (tho none of us have broken anything).

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Was there a MDX TSB on the Buzz fix?

Was there a MDX TSB on the Buzz fix, or was that a rumor?
I would like to give a copy to my Honda dealer.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Re: Was there a MDX TSB on the Buzz fix?

N_Jay said:
Was there a MDX TSB on the Buzz fix, or was that a rumor?
I would like to give a copy to my Honda dealer.
From the NHTSA site. Sorry, we don't have the actual bulletin. Typos and sentence fragments are due to the way NHTSA codes and uploads partial sentences/subjects, but you get the idea:

Acura Service Bulletin #010601
AN UNDERHOOD BUZZING, RATTLING NOISE THAT OCCURS WHILE ACCELERATING CAN BE INFORMATION REGARDING UNDERHOOD BUZZ NOISE BETWEEN 2500 AND 4000 RPM. *YD CAUSED BY THE THROTTLE CABLE BRACKET ATTACHED TO THE LEFT FRONT DAMPER TOWER.IF THE BRACKET IS CAUSING THE NOISE, MAKE SURE THE BOLT IS OK, BEND THE BRACKET UNTIL IT IS 10MM AWAY FROM THE DAMPER TOWER. *YD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts