Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This worked on my '04 Pilot, but any Honda with the 3.5L V-6 VTEC engine (Odyssey, Ridgeline), this should help. First recognize that this valve cannot be easily accessed from above or below the engine. I will break it down step-by-step as best I can.

.1) Take off passenger front wheel and turn it all the way LEFT. No need to take off any body panels.

2) Drop your trouble light down from the top of the engine bay into the general area.This is important. You will not have room for it from here on and it will illuminate the valve. Your first landmark will be the blue\green oil sensor thingy. I could not disconnect it because the release tabs face the engine. If YOU can,access will be super easy. Be careful! Notice the oil filter in the lower right corner. Keep this in mind for your next oil change.

3) Stick your head in the wheel well (really). Look up and slightly to the left of the thingy and here is the valve:

4) This is a bleeder-type valve. Only the top nut (12mm) needs to be loosened. Use only a six-sided flare wrench or a six-sided socket. DO NOT USE ANY TWELVE-POINT TOOL! You will booger the nut for sure. If you have a flare wrench, you can put a piece of tubing over the nipple and direct the coolant into the catch pan. I used a socket with a small 3" extension. No need to daisy-chain extensions and wobblers.
5) Here is an inexpensive tool I found indispensable. Amazon $15

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts