Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Honda Pilot ex, it’s got 44,250 miles. I bought it from Honda as a used vehicle in 2018. I had my pilot serviced at jiffy lube one week prior to a trip to Las Vegas, I noticed the engine loosing power and immediately the low oil level warming came on, I began pull over the I-15 N shoulder bit did not make it, as the pilot started making loud clanking noises followed by the engine shitting off. I was stranded in the middle of the highway. I’m at the point where I’m going to file a claim to Honda and look into the lemon law and see if it applies here.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don’t think lemon laws apply a used vehicle you purchased 2-3 years ago. If there’s an internal engine failure NOT caused by lack of engine oil it should be covered by the 5/60K warranty or if you purchased it as a certified vehicle it will covered by the CPO warranty. If Jiffy Lube screwed up you’ll have to try to get $ from Jiffy Lube.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Sounds to me that you should be going after Jiffy lube and check into what they did. Maybe the oil drain plug wasn't tightened or the oil filter used was not spec'd for the V6. If you got the low oil level/ pressure warning, that would indicate a massive oil loss. The vehicle may still be covered under the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty depending on when it was purchased by the original owner.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I have a 2016 Honda Pilot ex, it’s got 44,250 miles. I bought it from Honda as a used vehicle in 2018. I had my pilot serviced at jiffy lube one week prior to a trip to Las Vegas, I noticed the engine loosing power and immediately the low oil level warming came on, ...
Did you check the oil level before starting out on the trip?

·
Registered
303 Posts
The car is 5 years old -- not a lemon. You mentioned Jiffy Lube did the service. Why wouldn't you assume that they either didn't put oil back in the vehicle or the drain plug wasn't secured?

This almost surely isn't a Honda problem. I'm just amazed anyone still goes to Jiffy Lube.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I have a 2016 Honda Pilot ex, it’s got 44,250 miles. I bought it from Honda as a used vehicle in 2018. I had my pilot serviced at jiffy lube one week prior to a trip to Las Vegas, I noticed the engine loosing power and immediately the low oil level warming came on, I began pull over the I-15 N shoulder bit did not make it, as the pilot started making loud clanking noises followed by the engine shitting off. I was stranded in the middle of the highway. I’m at the point where I’m going to file a claim to Honda and look into the lemon law and see if it applies here.
Sorry to hear about your engine. Maintaining the proper engine oil level is the owner's responsibility. Low engine oil level is not a warranty item unless a gasket or seal with a manufacturing defect allowed a sudden and complete draining of all or enough oil to cause the engine to make loud clanking noises and shut off. Such failures are very rare if unheard of, especially after 44,250 miles. You probably don't have more than a slim chance of success under the lemon law or a claim to Honda unless this has happened twice before to the same engine and reported to and unsuccessfully repaired by a Honda dealer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sounds like Jiffy Lube to me. They are notorious for over tightening oil drain bolts, and even leaving loose bolts. My previous neighbors civic had a massive leak as he drove home from an oil change a few years ago.

I don’t recommend Oil Changers 3000, as they put windshield wiper fluid in my radiator reservoir and radiator fluid in my wiper fluid reservoir on my Datsun 280zx back in 1993 when I was back in high school. (Too lazy to do it myself as a teen; learned my lesson to just do everything “maintenance” myself from then on)

I’d take the advice from everyone earlier to inquire about your warranty and also seek action from Jiffy Lube for negligence, if in fact they are liable for damages.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agree with everyone you cant go after honda for what you paid Jiffy lube did or not do during the oil change. Should express your lost to that location that did your service.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Im to hear about your car. I’ll say talk to Jiffy Lube and document all your conversations. Good luck with them. I would have a mechanic look at the car and document what they find - loose filter, stripped drain plug, etc. that may get you something from Jiffy Lube. Years ago my brother got his car serviced there. On the way back to work one of his wheels fell off. It took a few months for them to admit any wrongdoing

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Does a 2016 Pilot have a low oil level warning? Raise those hoods once a week and have a look.😉

·
Registered
753 Posts
While I’m no fan of Jiffy Lube, really need to get the facts together before assigning blame. I’d be tempted to get an independent mechanic who specializes in Honda’s to look it over and document what they see. If they see evidence of neglect by Jiffy Lube then you go after them. Otherwise let Honda fix it under warranty. Shouldn’t cost too much, prob an hour or two of labor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FWIW: I had a 2009 Sienna. In 2017, no warning lights on, exited the expressway and oil all over back window. Lifters clicking when I came to a stop. I had changed the oil and filters the whole life of the vehicle. I felt sick, thought it was something I had done wrong inadvertently. Inspected the underside and filter and oil plug intact. Entire bottom is soaked in oil dripping all over. Towed it about 65 miles to my trusted shop. What'd they find? Blown oil cooler line. Toyota actually had issued an extended warranty to cover it and I only had to pay for the tow. Get it checked out and reserve judgement til you have the cause determined. Good luck!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,568 Posts
Not enough info to assign blame, but don’t hate on JiffyLube...lol. There’s one close to me that does great work. Mechanics have to start somewhere and it can be a good place to start.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not enough info to assign blame, but don’t hate on JiffyLube...lol. There’s one close to me that does great work. Mechanics have to start somewhere and it can be a good place to start.
That is kind of you but let these idiots learn on someone else’s vehicle. They have screwed several people I know.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Not enough info to assign blame,
Correct,
Just because the oil light comes on and then sudden engine failure, doesn't give reason to blame Jiffy Lube. I would think if the oil plug was loose or the oil filter was leaking, there would be some signs of it where you park at night. Would I be suspicious, yes. More info needed. Take pictures of dain plug and oil filter if installed incorrectly.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Correct,
Just because the oil light comes on and then sudden engine failure, doesn't give reason to blame Jiffy Lube. I would think if the oil plug was loose or the oil filter was leaking, there would be some signs of it where you park at night. Would I be suspicious, yes. More info needed. Take pictures of dain plug and oil filter if installed incorrectly.
Do Pilots come with OEM oil coolers? I've heard of aftermarket ones but I'm not aware of one on mine (yes, I only have one).

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Do Pilots come with OEM oil coolers? I've heard of aftermarket ones but I'm not aware of one on mine (yes, I only have one).
No oil cooler.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Two most common reasons for this to happen:
1, Lost oil drain plug.
2, Low quality oli filter used. Honda usually have much higher flow through the oil filter compared to other car manufacturers, so using OEM oil filter is non negotiable if you want to stay safe. I have seen several examples of collapsed oil filters blocking oil flow and ruining Honda engines. Always some no name filter or even quality filters not built for the high flow. I don't know if this is a fact for J35 engines, but it's a fact for the smalles high RPM engines Honda have produced (B16, B18, K20, K24 etc).

1 - 20 of 97 Posts