Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would doing (power washing-water) this cause problems in Honda Pilots ? * ignore the foam in the video

What needs to be "covered"(wrapped) before spraying water in the engine bay ?
Generation 1 Pilot
Generation 2 Pilot
Generation 3 Pilot

·
Registered
74 Posts
Steam clean my Gen. 3. Disconnect the battery (remove it optionally, so you can clean inside it. Before I steam mine, I vacuum any visible debris, dust, etc. The spray degreaser (purple power brand, is my choice), and steam. Avoid the alternator, and related areas, don’t really need to wrap anything as long as your mildly careful.
Keep in mind, most of the engine bay gets “wet”....to varying degrees from normal driving say during winter or rainy weather anyway...

For my money invested in my Pilot, only will steam my engine bay. Best of luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Cool engine. Gunk citrus engine cleaner. Let it sit about 10 mins. The use the jet option on the nozzle. Let it dry then use gunk engine shine. Wipe off excess. Wash the car after to get the grease and degreaser off my paint.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I get a wet rag and wipe down the engine bay after each wash. I’ll probably do a light mist of water every year or so and wipe that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Would doing (power washing-water) this cause problems in Honda Pilots ? * ignore the foam in the video................What needs to be "covered"(wrapped) before spraying water in the engine bay ?
Generation 1 Pilot
Generation 2 Pilot
Generation 3 Pilot
That is absolutely, positively the last thing I would do to a modern engine with all the electrical connectors and sensors everywhere. You will be amazed what a roll of paper towels, glass cleaner and about 30 minutes of elbow grease will do. I cringed watching that high pressure sprayer in the video. 🤦‍♂️ That's just being lazy and taking unnecessary chances, IMO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
... that's my concerns.... how many different "sensors" is inside a modern day Pilot engine bay....
Disconnecting your battery de-energizes them. Then wiping and being careful where you clean, and you’ll be fine. This is a big reason I like to clean in “12 in x 12 in” areas, if that makes sense that way it forces me to pay extra attention to what I am cleaning. 10 years with my Accord and 1 year with my Pilot and no issues.

·
Registered
99 Posts
How far is pressurized water forced into hundreds of nook/crannies crack/crevices, battery disconnected or not? That doesn't happen with paper towels/glass cleaner/elbow grease.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Really not that far (or better as far as you’d need it to), as you can greatly adjust the pressure. Sure, could someone that’s never used one and has the pressure jacked way up, yea definitely. Keep in mind, atleast when I used my steamer, it’s in addition to the cleaner sprayed (which do note can spray / leak into many nooks and crannies).
Frankly, at the end of the day I’m more worried about the road salt and grime that splashes up into the engine (and the same nooks and crannies), and getting these.

Definitely no short cuts for elbow grease and a good cleaner for sure....also a good detailing brush Has definitely had help really get into tight spots get the crud out.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I prefer the longer but more controlled method of wiping with a wet rag, maybe some localized degreaser if needed. I control how much water is on the rag and where the wet rag touches.

Reactions: PLT383

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Name brand engine cleaner, and a hose.

No real good reason to do it, but it does not hurt.

Some people talk about not getting water on the electrical parts, but don't worry, they get plenty wet in a hard rain.
Thirty years ago a car magazine did a test and had a low pressure fire hose poor water on to a number of cars engines.

They all started. The water was hi volume low pressure to ensure that the electrics stayed in one piece.
No issues either with washing an engine, however, I would be very cautious of the product you'll be using. As a former Army Blackhawk mechanic I can tell you that the Army has a banned the use of simple green in helicopter cleaning because of one simple reason. It causes corrosion if not rinsed completely. I would be very difficult for you to completely rinse an engine with all the little spaces that water can/will be trapped after washing. While we enjoyed the grease cutting capabilities of simple green it had its side effect on our hydraulic deck and other areas where water will remain after washing.

There are a number of other degreasers out there without the corrosive properties, just pick one and wash your engine. I would also recommend you let water pour out of the hose instead of spraying (with force).

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Never in my whole life.

In my mind it would be a close second to this. Yes, this again. It's kind of mesmerizing. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts