Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Touring
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have "Emissions System Problem" on my 2017 touring which started today. 3 months ago the dealer inspected it for DTC errors and found P0430 "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold B2" but i didn't have system check on the dashboard at that time.
Any directions? Could it be injectors?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Most likely the fuel injectors. Good thing though, they should be covered under the extended warranty.

Reactions: Honda7

·
Registered
2017 Touring
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hmm, from what i remember we shouldn't use injector cleaner for this engine. Am I correct? I use 95 octane fuel here but the number is not the same as in N. America.

P. S. I installed S-VCM when i bought it (6000km+)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmm, from what i remember we shouldn't use injector cleaner for this engine. Am I correct? I use 95 octane fuel here but the number is not the same as in N. America.

P. S. I installed S-VCM when i bought it (6000km+)
never used the s-vcm and 95 octane is so good so that defiantly is not your issue. not sure how much fuel injector cleaner would help like you said might not do much for newer motors but im pretty sure it wont hurt it at least. will be excited to hear the remedy of your issue.

·
Registered
476 Posts
As long as the check engine light isn’t flashing it’s safe to drive. A flashing CEL means mis-fires which can damage the catalytic converters. The PCM may place the vehicle in limp mode if this happens.

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,121 Posts
I’d find lower octane fuel. Below 91. 95 is to high. Your vehicle is designed to run on 87.

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
Euro 95 octane equals to around 91 in US. But its the lowest here.
Ok. My concern is that unburned fuel is making it through the catalytic converter. Things I would do…
Check MAF reading or clean it with Electronic or MAF cleaner to insure that there is proper fuel/air mixture. New/clean air filter installed correctly, box sealed. The intake tube clamps should be tight. Use a quality full synthetic oil 0w20 with a quality oil filter. Oil changed on time. Seems old oil finds its way up into the intake on these engines some how.

·
Registered
2017 Touring
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Neil. All oils and filters were changed with OEM ~3000 miles ago. I will try to read the MAF using the Car scanner(which btw also reads the ZF9 temp) but im not sure what value is considered "normal".

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
Thank you Neil. All oils and filters were changed with OEM ~3000 miles ago. I will try to read the MAF using the Car scanner(which btw also reads the ZF9 temp) but im not sure what value is considered "normal".
Hopefully the OEM oil is full synthetic?

Since your Pilot is 5 years old and have 65k km, I’d clean the MAF anyway. But yes, knowing the number would give good insight.

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
Yes, the oil is Honda's 0w20 full synthetic.
What to use for maf cleaning?
Here in the USA we have spray CRC Electronic Cleaner or specifically CRC MAF cleaner.
Unplug and remove the MAF. Hold MAF as installed. Spray the visible electrodes with 2 or 3 short burst. Let dry completely before reinstalling.

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
Cleaned the MAF sensor but didnt help. On the highway i decided to top the tank because i had fuel for 40 miles only. When i started the engine the error was gone :/
Hopefully the light will stay off now. If air mixture was poor due to a dirty MAF, it takes a few kilometers for the light to reset.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts