Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Pilot EX-L 2019 last week (have about 60 miles on it) and it was fine on day 1. On day 2, it was fine in the morning and in the evening on my way back from work, when I started the engine, I saw the check engine light come on and emissions system problem message.

I spoke with the dealer salesman and he sounded surprised that this is happening to a new car but asked us to continue driving (he said its not a big deal, some sensors issue) and bring it in a couple of days later (this Tuesday) for a service appointment. I have read this being an issue on older Pilots due to fuel quality etc. but cant understand why this would be so on a new vehicle and what I could have done to detect it when taking delivery.

Any guidance on what I should expect them to do at the dealership / what I should ask them to check is very welcome.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is why new cars have a warranty. I wouldn't even bother trying to tell them what to look for, let them do their job. It could be a major problem, but more likely something very minor, maybe even as simple as a loose gas cap.

I'd also politely point out that this is a BRAND NEW car, and that if they don't plan on diagnosing AND repairing it within two hours, you should receive a loaner car. If they push back on the loaner and offer you a 'complimentary shuttle' then remind them that you have to drive a lot for your job and if they can't give you a complimentary loaner that you'll need their shuttle to drive you around all day.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Thanks. I will try but is that even realistically possible?
If I had issues like that on brand new and they couldn't come up with a reason I'd make them do it. Be persistent. You don't deserve problems in a brand new vehicle. I work with a guy who did that. Brand new F-150. Lights came on day two. Dealer couldn't figure it out. He made them get him a brand new one. It took a while but they did it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Ask your dealer for a code. I had mine showed P0430 when this happened back in 2016. Dealer first reseted with a code reader. It came back in a week, when they diagnosed injectors and rails needed replaced. They ordered parts and replaced about two weeks later, and problem soled. Some people were told to replace the cat but did not resolve issues. There is a long thread about this and do a search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the inputs - got the car back today.

Service guy said codes P0455 and P0456 EVAP LEAK were detected and they did a smoke test to confirm leakage. They determined that the flap for the fuel system was incorrectly installed and have replaced the secondary flap.

For now, the car seems to be fine although I am not sure why the error came up on day 2 instead of day 1 if that was the case.

Lets see what comes next.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts