Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
I think I may invest in one of these. For $95 I'll get piece of mind and won't constantly think about trading the vehicle in because of potential problems.
Keeping it running on all 6 cylinders.
😎👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wanted to report the "Emissions System Problem" that many have had to deal with finally hit my 2016 Pilot Touring (see sig). It has only 42,465 miles. Made a trip to the dealer. Was called back by the service adviser...and it turns out to be specifically the catalytic converter issue.

Requires a software update to the PCM and at a cost!!:confused: I thought those updates were free, but I guessed wrong. :eek:

Heck, even Apple and Microsoft offer FREE updates to their Operating Systems!!!

Well, I hope this is the fix!! I don't like paying visits to the dealer...

biz
:headshak:
Had this warning on in my ‘17 Exl on Saturday. It still drove fine and was not on Sunday or today. Taking it to dealership on Wednesday. Can they still read the issue or will I have to wait to see if it happens again? Also, could the cold have caused it?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
Had this warning on in my ‘17 Exl on Saturday. It still drove fine and was not on Sunday or today. Taking it to dealership on Wednesday. Can they still read the issue or will I have to wait to see if it happens again? Also, could the cold have caused it?
I got the warning several times and it was more frequent in cold damp weather. The codes will be stored in memory and the dealership will read them when you take it in. The injectors will probably need replacement and the repairs should be covered under the extended warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi everyone i have a 2016 pilot and had the intermittent emissions systems code on and off again for a while. I read through the forum and everyone said same thing it has to do with the fuel injectors so i brought it the dealership and sure enough it is and they are replacing them. What i found interesting was even though i have an extended warranty they told me this is being covered by Honda as they are aware of the issue. So maybe this will be some sort of recall? who knows..just would like to say thanks and check it out for yourself at your local dealership wonder if they say similar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m seeing this on my ‘16 with 66K miles. The light went off before I got to the dealer for my oil cha. The service advisor said that if the light is off, the computer has figured out an adjustment on its own and no action was needed by me.

Now, the light is back on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just a follow up to my original "Emissions Light". I cleared the codes twice, then started using premium fuel and once in a while Lucas injector cleaner. Seemed to clear the problem up for a while.

Light came back on last week. I called Honda and scheduled an appointment and today they changed out the injectors at no cost. Hopefully all will be good.

2016 Pilot EXL - 109,500 Miles

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just a follow up to my original "Emissions Light". I cleared the codes twice, then started using premium fuel and once in a while Lucas injector cleaner. Seemed to clear the problem up for a while.

Light came back on last week. I called Honda and scheduled an appointment and today they changed out the injectors at no cost. Hopefully all will be good.

2016 Pilot EXL - 109,500 Miles
Did you have this issue before and Honda replaced the fuel injectors/rails or is this the first time? and is your car still under any warranty. i ask because my 2016 already went thru the fuel injectors replaced under warranty 2 years ago and yesterday had the infamous Emissions CEL then followed up with Christmas light show on the dash with everything CEL like you, i put in new gas with injector cleaners and it went away but not sure if it will come back

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Believe this is under an extended warranty for 10 years. At least I received a letter from Honda Canada stating something like that on 2016 Pilots.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you have this issue before and Honda replaced the fuel injectors/rails or is this the first time? and is your car still under any warranty. i ask because my 2016 already went thru the fuel injectors replaced under warranty 2 years ago and yesterday had the infamous Emissions CEL then followed up with Christmas light show on the dash with everything CEL like you, i put in new gas with injector cleaners and it went away but not sure if it will come back
Yes I had that problem prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
thanks Ddx77, that means we will have to go thru fuel injector replacements more than once and if it falls after the 10 years that means we are on the hook after that, last time i checked the stealership was going to charge Canadian $1800 parts and labor (US$1400)

·
Registered
151 Posts
In your case I think it's more likely that the battery needs to be replaced. A poorly charged or worn battery will give these multiple errors with no relationship to one another, while emission errors only indicate injector issues.

·
Registered
319 Posts
In your case I think it's more likely that the battery needs to be replaced. A poorly charged or worn battery will give these multiple errors with no relationship to one another, while emission errors only indicate injector issues.
thank you, I proactively replaced my original battery last year with one from Honda before any signs or symptoms. So far today no CEL lights, I wait to go thru the full tank of gas and injector cleaner to see what happens.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
thank you, I proactively replaced my original battery last year with one from Honda before any signs or symptoms. So far today no CEL lights, I wait to go thru the full tank of gas and injector to see what happens.
Injector cleaner may help a bit as long as the carbon buildup on the injector nozzles isn't too severe. Once the carbon gets baked on, only physical cleaning will work which requires removal of the injectors anyway, so it is just as cost effective for a shop to just replace them with new ones. Maybe Honda is reconditioning all those dirty injectors and putting them back on the shelf. I tried injector cleaner and it got me 6 months and about 5k more until I had to have them replaced anyway.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's assuming it's carbon and not metallic debris. No injector cleaner will restore a damaged sealing surface (leaking) or dissolve metal (clogged). ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Update: towards the end of the full tank with injector cleaner (less than a quarter tank) CEL came back on, drove it for 2 days, went to fill up gas, and the CEL went away, few days later on less than a quarter tank problem came back, let's see if it happens a fourth time. my old OBDII reader can't read the code need to buy another one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just got this issue for the second time now, last time the dealer took a look at it, it was a “valve that was stuck and had debris”. Hopefully, I don’t have to pay this time. Im at 102,000 miles.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts