Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
121 - 140 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I now have about 84000 miles on my2016 Pilot and the Emissions System Problem light came on again after 10,000 miles. Just drove 270 miles the day before at 28.5 MPG. So I doubt its the injectors again.
Taking it to the dealer on the 11th of November and will what they say. Over the phone they said they would have to run diagnostics.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wanted to report the "Emissions System Problem" that many have had to deal with finally hit my 2016 Pilot Touring (see sig). It has only 42,465 miles. Made a trip to the dealer. Was called back by the service adviser...and it turns out to be specifically the catalytic converter issue.

Requires a software update to the PCM and at a cost!!:confused: I thought those updates were free, but I guessed wrong. :eek:

Heck, even Apple and Microsoft offer FREE updates to their Operating Systems!!!

Well, I hope this is the fix!! I don't like paying visits to the dealer...

biz
:headshak:
Call American Honda complain to them

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
I now have about 84000 miles on my2016 Pilot and the Emissions System Problem light came on again after 10,000 miles. Just drove 270 miles the day before at 28.5 MPG. So I doubt its the injectors again.
Taking it to the dealer on the 11th of November and will what they say. Over the phone they said they would have to run diagnostics.
So you only have 10k on the new injectors. Do you have a VCM disabler installed? Are you still under extended warranty? If not, get yourself a code reader and see what specific codes are registered. The dealer is just going to do the same thing and charge you a diagnostic fee. Sometimes it is just a bad batch of fuel so all you have to do is reset the code and fill up with top tier 87 gasoline or maybe some injector cleaner in the tank. The emissions systems on these vehicles are very sensitive, and it doesn't take much to trigger a code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
At 74,000 Dealer recalibrated and updated PGM FI and Trans update and a FI test that said 2 cylinders failed.
Light went off I drove home got great mileage and did not change my injectors. I think they checked it in fuel saver mode. Now at 84,000 its on again. Is there some way to reset it with out a dealer doing anything? Like disconnecting the battery for an hour or something. What's a code reader cost?

·
Registered
869 Posts
At 74,000 Dealer recalibrated and updated PGM FI and Trans update and a FI test that said 2 cylinders failed.
Light went off I drove home got great mileage and did not change my injectors. I think they checked it in fuel saver mode. Now at 84,000 its on again. Is there some way to reset it with out a dealer doing anything? Like disconnecting the battery for an hour or something. What's a code reader cost?
Disconnecting the battery wont erase the codes. You need a code reader.
I have a Bluedriver dongle that plugs into the OBD port that is linked to my phone. Costs less than $100 but there are a lot of other options too. You may want to consider disabling the VCM as well as this can cause misfires and other transmission issues. I installed the SVCM device with good results so far. There are several threads on here with a lot of information.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well just hit 108k and got the emissions system light, haven't done anything yet. Car is still running great. I called my service advisor, waiting for a call back.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well just hit 108k and got the emissions system light, haven't done anything yet. Car is still running great. I called my service advisor, waiting for a call back.
For the cost of the diagnostic fee the dealer is going to charge you, you could get yourself a code reader and see what it is. With any of the new vehicles, a code reader is a necessity and it will save you a pile of cash in the long run. They are easy to use and most will BT to your smartphone and use apps to troubleshoot and provide live data.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For the cost of the diagnostic fee the dealer is going to charge you, you could get yourself a code reader and see what it is. With any of the new vehicles, a code reader is a necessity and it will save you a pile of cash in the long run. They are easy to use and most will BT to your smartphone and use apps to troubleshoot and provide live data.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
869 Posts
Any thoughts?

The P0430 code is for bank2 (front bank) cat converter low efficiency which is quite a common code and I have had to reset the same one a couple of times this year. It can be caused by bad fuel, dirty air filter, bad spark plugs or dirty fuel injectors. I don't see any misfire codes in your readout so I doubt that it is spark plugs but the injectors could be dirty. I have used some injector cleaner with good results and it might be worth a try in your case. If you still have warranty, it might be good idea to visit the dealership because they will probably replace the injectors. If not, you will be in for a $1500 repair. I would just clear the code and see if it comes back, because you said that the car is running well. If it comes back, you could try some injector cleaner. Are you on the original injector set?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you, yes original injectors.

The P0430 code is for bank2 (front bank) cat converter low efficiency which is quite a common code and I have had to reset the same one a couple of times this year. It can be caused by bad fuel, dirty air filter, bad spark plugs or dirty fuel injectors. I don't see any misfire codes in your readout so I doubt that it is spark plugs but the injectors could be dirty. I have used some injector cleaner with good results and it might be worth a try in your case. If you still have warranty, it might be good idea to visit the dealership because they will probably replace the injectors. If not, you will be in for a $1500 repair. I would just clear the code and see if it comes back, because you said that the car is running well. If it comes back, you could try some injector cleaner. Are you on the original injector set?

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
Any thoughts?

P0430 doesn't always equal catalytic converter replacement.
Things I would try first would be...
  1. Have a clean air filter.
  2. Make sure that the air intake hose clamps are tight.
  3. Clean the mass airflow sensor (MAF). This is held on with 2 small philips head screws, right on top of the air intake hose. Remove it and with CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner, spray a few short bursts directly into the electrodes. Let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
  4. 108k miles would also warrant new spark plugs.
  5. Use a Top Tier 87 octane fuel. Higher octane fuel can actually make things worse. You could also use a fuel system cleaner.
If you plan on keeping your Pilot for another 50-100k miles, I'd invest in a VCM disabling device.

Unrelated to the code, Have you done your timing belt water pump job yet?

·
Registered
38 Posts
P0430 doesn't always equal catalytic converter replacement.
Things I would try first would be...
  1. Have a clean air filter.
  2. Make sure that the air intake hose clamps are tight.
  3. Clean the mass airflow sensor (MAF). This is held on with 2 small philips head screws, right on top of the air intake hose. Remove it and with CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner, spray a few short bursts directly into the electrodes. Let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
  4. 108k miles would also warrant new spark plugs.
  5. Use a Top Tier 87 octane fuel. Higher octane fuel can actually make things worse. You could also use a fuel system cleaner.
If you plan on keeping your Pilot for another 50-100k miles, I'd invest in a VCM disabling device.

Unrelated to the code, Have you done your timing belt water pump job yet?
Good morning, thanks for the information.

No, haven’t done the timing belt service yet. Was planning to though. With the covid stuff going on, haven’t been driving it much.

Also reading into it a little more it’s mentioned that it could be a camshaft sensor. Is that possible?

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
520 Posts
P0430 is common code on the injector failures. I would replace the injectors before going the catalytic converter route.

Reactions: Ddx77

·
Registered
869 Posts
Also reading into it a little more it’s mentioned that it could be a camshaft sensor. Is that possible?

If the camshaft sensor is faulty, you would see a P0340 code and you would probably be getting misfires and poor fuel mileage as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You're right, thanks.

If the camshaft sensor is faulty, you would see a P0340 code and you would probably be getting misfires and poor fuel mileage as well.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you guys for all the information, really appreciated!

So this morning I stopped at my buddy's shop, he checked the car with his scanner. Said it was the catalytic converter, he cleared the codes and said let's see if it comes back on. Afterwards I brought the car to Honda and had the timing belt done along with water pump, tensioner and a few other things that are included in that service. Needless to say I can feel a difference in the way the car is running, much bettter.

I am going to change the plugs (Honda wanted $580 to change spark plugs, crazy, I said no way) and air filter myself and try some of that injector cleaner as well. Going on a roadtrip in a couple of weeks, we will see if the code comes up again.

Thanks again for all the help!
Drew

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
869 Posts
Has anyone taken readings of bank1 and bank2 short term fuel trims before and after changing out injectors? My bank2 short term fuel trim is running a bit on the rich side and varies between -5 to -10% where the bank1 is +2 to -5%. This may explain the occasional P0430 code for bank2. BTW these readings were taken with the VCM deactivated.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
Has anyone taken readings of bank1 and bank2 short term fuel trims before and after changing out injectors? My bank2 short term fuel trim is running a bit on the rich side and varies between -5 to -10% where the bank1 is +2 to -5%. This may explain the occasional P0430 code for bank2. BTW these readings were taken with the VCM deactivated.
What is your MAF reading.
Clean it and check again.

121 - 140 of 178 Posts