Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wanted to report the "Emissions System Problem" that many have had to deal with finally hit my 2016 Pilot Touring (see sig). It has only 42,465 miles. Made a trip to the dealer. Was called back by the service adviser...and it turns out to be specifically the catalytic converter issue.

Requires a software update to the PCM and at a cost!!:confused: I thought those updates were free, but I guessed wrong. :eek:

Heck, even Apple and Microsoft offer FREE updates to their Operating Systems!!!

Well, I hope this is the fix!! I don't like paying visits to the dealer...

biz
:headshak:

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Honda TSB issued

Wanted to add this info to thread...

===========
==============

09/26/17
NHTSA ID: 10118004
TSB ID: A17-036

Service bulletin - the mil comes on with dtc p0430 (front bank catalyst system efficiency below threshold [bank 2]). the pcm software may misinterpret sensor inputs as a deteriorated catalytic converter.

==============
===========

biz
;)

·
Registered
223 Posts

===========
==============

09/26/17

Service bulletin - the mil comes on with dtc p0430 (front bank catalyst system efficiency below threshold [bank 2]). the pcm software may misinterpret sensor inputs as a deteriorated catalytic converter.

==============
===========

biz
;)
If there is a TSB, you still need to pay for the update? I thought a service tie to a TSB is free of charge.

·
Registered
223 Posts

===========
==============

09/26/17

==============
===========

biz
;)
I thought a service tie to a TSB is free of charge. Did you reasoned with the dealer?

·
Registered
223 Posts

===========
==============

09/26/17

==============
===========

biz
;)
I thought a service tie to a TSB is free of charge. Did you reason with the dealer?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just curious did the car feel like it was hesitating at all while accelerating before the CEL came on?

Thank you for the question. Actually, no. It felt totally normal, but was in Eco mode. So, the reduced feeling is pretty constant compared to normal mode. It was a complete shock to see the CEL come on. The Pilot had been running excellent lately. The last 3hr (one way) road trip came back with a combined 30 mpg's.

biz
:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I thought a service tie to a TSB is free of charge. Did you reasoned with the dealer?

No, I did not reason or argue with dealer. I thought they were FREE also. Was really surprised that I had to pay. I am including the charge from the invoice. I've been thinking hard if it is worth my time to write Honda of USA customer division...and request a reimbursement. Just not sure...it's worth my time. :confused:

My logical thinking, is that Apple and Microsoft and Android, etc. do NOT charge for OS updates. That goes for Dell and HP and Asus for motherboard bios updates. They offer a level of support for the product, especially when it deals with security/safety concerns. With Honda, this is a PCM programming issue. Specifically an Emissions issue!! NOT something I can fix myself due to a mechanical repair. Based on Honda, this is a dealer or manufacturer specific fix. I cannot download a fix from the internet and apply myself. If I could, (IE: Nav updates), then I would.

Add more computers to the vehicles and monitor more items, but ask the customer to pay for a programming defect from manufacturer?? Sounds like another way auto companies can swindle the customers. Shame. Shame way of doing business...IMHO.

biz
:14:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am currently at the dealer for this same might coming on AGAIN. I brought it in to the dealer in May for the same thing, they did the update, as you mentioned, and it is still coming on.
I'd like to see how yours does with the update. I hope the update helps yours out.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
There is a thread for this exact same thing. I had P0430 a couple of years ago (believe it was within year one), MID showed emissions system problem and CEL on, took to dealer and reset, came back in a week. Then was told to replace imjectors and rails. Waited a few days for parts, replaced, all is well. All under warranty. Some people replaced cat without success. Check that thread, lots of readings.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am currently at the dealer for this same might coming on AGAIN. I brought it in to the dealer in May for the same thing, they did the update, as you mentioned, and it is still coming on.
I'd like to see how yours does with the update. I hope the update helps yours out.

Thank you Angie Marie!! I sure hope is cures the issue too. Also, please come back and post what the fix is for your Pilot. I'd very much like to know (just in case)...

biz
:crazyeye:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is a thread for this exact same thing. I had P0430 a couple of years ago (believe it was within year one), MID showed emissions system problem and CEL on, took to dealer and reset, came back in a week. Then was told to replace imjectors and rails. Waited a few days for parts, replaced, all is well. All under warranty. Some people replaced cat without success. Check that thread, lots of readings.

Well, Honda7, that is exactly what I am afraid of!! Yes, I am full aware of the injector and rails replacement. Luckily for you, it was still under warranty. But, what the heck for the rest of us??

Again, IMHO, if this is a common issue (appears to be), then HMA should be fixing these at own cost for a defect in the injectors. Because, eventually Honda7, you are going to hit these miles in the 40's or 50's etc, and might be back at dealer to fix another injector issue. But this time, on your own dime. I hope not, but...:eek:

biz
0:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh and mine is a 2016 Pilot EXL 46,200 miles too. This sounds like a Honda manufacture issue ?

Oh, forgot to ask, but did they charge you for your update like they charged me?? I'm curious, because I still cannot believe that I had to pay.:surprise:

Thanks!

biz

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Honda Pilot Touring "Emissions System Problem" error message has been on for a while. They re-set the codes with no luck. Dealership replaced the Knock sensor, this did not fix the issue. Now they are replacing the Knock sensor harness.

We will see if this helps the issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My ‘16 just did this message too. My question is; is it safe to drive for a little? Of course this happened while I am out of town and not near my regular Honda dealership. Nearest one is 40 miles away. I am about over this car after having my steering column and whole transmission replaced what else can go wrong.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a 2016 Honda Pilot Touring "Emissions System Problem" error message has been on for a while. They re-set the codes with no luck. Dealership replaced the Knock sensor, this did not fix the issue. Now they are replacing the Knock sensor harness.

We will see if this helps the issue.

Sorry to hear of your troubles DiscoM. If you do not mind me asking, but how many miles on your Pilot?

biz

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ak3usm -- The owners manual states to see your honda dealer asap. So, it all depends on the actual issue. It seems that this check engine light, is pretty random in its diagnosis. How many miles on your Pilot??

biz
:headshak:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 55800 miles. Of course this light came on yesterday after the dealership was closed and the fact I am on vacation and the nearest one is 40 miles away has got me worried.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Well, Honda7, that is exactly what I am afraid of!! Yes, I am full aware of the injector and rails replacement. Luckily for you, it was still under warranty. But, what the heck for the rest of us??

Again, IMHO, if this is a common issue (appears to be), then HMA should be fixing these at own cost for a defect in the injectors. Because, eventually Honda7, you are going to hit these miles in the 40's or 50's etc, and might be back at dealer to fix another injector issue. But this time, on your own dime. I hope not, but...:eek:

biz
0:)
I totally agree with you on this, Honda should have issued a recall on the injectors and rails. I am at over 60,000 km now and I have extended warranty till 100,000 km, so not too worry about this at the moment. Good luck on your case, and hope Honda would take care of your situation.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts