Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'very had a 2016 Honda Pilot Ex for 11 mths. Twice I had the dash board light up like a Christmas tree with this "Emission" problem. Everything from my traction to my starter was lit up and not working. I've also noticed a few days prior to Christmas coming early, everytime I stepped out of the car it smelled like something was burning, this was on both problematic occasions. The 1st time I brought it to the Honda dealership, I was told it was a burnt out coil. This was 4 months ago. I'm here now for the second time wondering if it's the same issue. Am I the only one going through this, please tell me no. I'm tired of driving 30 miles here and back on my time and dime for a reoccurring faulty issue.
Hello, I don't see in your post if the service department was able to obtain any MIL code (
Malfunction Indicator Lamp). These codes are useful in trying to narrow down on the problem. Does your service ticket list any specific code that they were able to obtain?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2016 Pilot and having engine light on "Emissions System Problem". Took to the Mossy Honda in Lemon Grove today and they provided two codes: P0430 - the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter is registering an improper reading (covered under powertrain warranty) and P2652- rocker arm actuator is an oil pressure switch which is controls the flow of oil to critical upper engine cylinder head components (not cover under powertrain warranty); estimated cost $325. I hope they fixed this issue and I don't have to go back there again. Any advices is greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue (Emissions System Problem) on my 2016 Pilot for 3 times now. The warning will turn on and off after driving about 100 miles. In two weeks time it comes "ON" again and "OFF" again. I brought it to Honda dealership but the service line was full and the service man told me that it is not a safety issue or the engine will not stop while driving, so I can come another day. I am not able to come back to the dealership yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had this issue about 4-5 months ago and the dealer only reset the computer. Now it came back again at 35994 miles, luckily I bought the extended warranty. Can't bring it in til about 3 days from now and will update what the solution they told me. I had mentioned fuel injectors last time I was in and I was told they can't replace them unless the error code says otherwise.
Update : They replaced my fuel injectors which is covered under power train warranty. Hopefully it's a permanent fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone!I have car mechanic background.
Short version of the story:
2019 Honda Pilot Emission system error code came on at 4800 miles code P0326 (knock sensor)
Took it to dealership they didn’t do anything but erased the code!I was not happy by the fact they haven’t search defective parts etc!
Of course code came back soon!
Took it back to dealership they had it all day,they changed the knock sensor.
Code came back just after left the dealership!
I haven’t seen anybody having the same code as mine but I wonder if they tried to modify the software so it would not trigger the other sensors.Kind of cover up the design flaws with their direct injection system!I wonder if the problem still exists but now pushing other sensors!
I am done talking to the dealership I went straight to American Honda!Their engineers need to figure it out!I am not willing to get dragged into the dealership every darn week!
Waiting to talk the case manager which can happen anytime!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think they have design flaws with their latest Earth Dream engines!They using a direct injection the way they pushing the fuel with a crazy high pressure through a very small hole!Which causes premature carbon build up which also creates blockage and imbalance what the computer can’t correct!
This is what I learned and conspired after reading the other forums!
The interesting thing is not all of them does that!
The explanation is probably engines built with perfect tolerance are less likely have problems.But the ones with higher tolerance which barely meets the requirements are gonna mess up early...

·
Registered
53 Posts
So, I wonder if there is going to be a recall on these engines or pilots. I had my injectors replaced with 34,000 miles. Makes me worry about how long this pilot will last.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is not much to do about this issues!If you own this vehicle you are trapped until you sell it!Most likely injector replacement in every 30-40K.
Their only solution was so far is modifying the software but it’s only last for awhile like I said until the injectors have carbon build up!
The only way to have Honda to fix this ultimately is if ppl actually speak up for themselves!Contact to American Honda and tell them your fact based story!If there are enough evidences gettered they might do something!
I am walking in the same shoes as you guys!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am pretty sure it covers the injectors!
Ultimately the Pilot is a good car and indeed other brands have flaws too.
I just wish they redesigned their engines!

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you have had your injectors replaced, please participate in this poll.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That’s what I would do!
I had the same problem with my 2019 and the knock sensor. The light came on 3 times. Like you said they reset the computer and charged the knock sensor. On the third try they replace the whole wiring harness and light has not came back on. Tell them to do that, I had about 1000 miles when problem started.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They don’t listen to me!Beside that other codes came on too!
Dealership has it as I writing this!They are guided by A Honda!Waiting for the phone call to hear what they found this time!
One thing for sure if it’s not ultimately fixed I will be filing a petition for a full refund!
All this crap already in the service book and the carfax history which is degrading the value of this car!
I’ll post up what happened!

·
Registered
64 Posts
2016exl, 28k miles. Had the PO430 code come up. Dealer updated the software today, which seems like a band aid, but that s the first step in the process they are supposed to follow. If it comes on again, which I expect it will, dealer said they’d replace injectors. Not sure why they don’t also replace the downstream oxygen sensor, which would seem like part of the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My software was updated too last time beside that software update was intended to fix some audio bugs only!Did they say the software update was meant to correct the P0430 error code for your car?
I bet not!Ultimately injector replacements will only fix this problems!For about 30-40k miles.And it will come back more and more often bc the engine getting aged...It’s a design problem what many 6 cylinder Earth Dream engines have!Some 4 cylinders have it too!
I am hoping I am wrong in your case!

·
Registered
15 Posts
2016exl, 28k miles. Had the PO430 code come up. Dealer updated the software today, which seems like a band aid, but that s the first step in the process they are supposed to follow. If it comes on again, which I expect it will, dealer said they’d replace injectors. Not sure why they don’t also replace the downstream oxygen sensor, which would seem like part of the problem.
Check out this discussion too!

·
Registered
64 Posts
My software was updated too last time beside that software update was intended to fix some audio bugs only!Did they say the software update was meant to correct the P0430 error code for your car?
I bet not!Ultimately injector replacements will only fix this problems!For about 30-40k miles.And it will come back more and more often bc the engine getting aged...It’s a design problem what many 6 cylinder Earth Dream engines have!Some 4 cylinders have it too!
I am hoping I am wrong in your case!

Receipt says PGMFI update performed. I am not sure, but I don’t think that’s the same update for audio. I think it’s engine management and control that gets updated. Maybe it keeps engine from running too rich, which I think can lead to carbon build up. like I said, I think it’s a bandaid but if that code comes up again out of warranty, which is only 3/36 and extended warranties don’t cover emissions, I’ll be all over them.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts