Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine is one like 5th time and these guys are no help. they have changed the catalyst and it back on again. i am super annoyed with them now. i don't know what to do. they told me not to get gas from Costco and get from shell. it did not make any difference. i have exl 2016 with 56k KM

·
Registered
982 Posts
mine is one like 5th time and these guys are no help. they have changed the catalyst and it back on again. i am super annoyed with them now. i don't know what to do. they told me not to get gas from Costco and get from shell. it did not make any difference. i have exl 2016 with 56k KM
Ask your dealer to scan for a code. Mine was P0430 (I believe), and dealer replaced injectors and rails, all is well. Besides, I gas at Costco all the time (should I say most of the time? Did elsewhere when needed) before and after.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue last month. Emissions, Vehicle Stability, Hill Assist, etc. Took to my dealership here in San Antonio and they identified it as a fuel injector problem. Apparently these systems cascade from that, which is logical. They replaced the injectors and I haven't had any further issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same issue after updating the software and draining the transmission for the "common" hesitation issues the 2016 has. Brought it to the dealership, then got a call saying it was the injectors and that Honda issued a service bulletin in regards to this issue. Honda is covering it under warranty for 15 years or 150K miles. My Pilot was fixed at no cost to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yep, my turn with this problem. The Emissions Problem first came up some time ago and the dealership "took care" of it with the software update. So I am on a long planned vacation, driving through the wilds of Death Valley (not joking!) when the Check Engine light comes on with the Emissions Control Problem verbiage attached. With no cell signal available and thousands of miles from home, I just kept my fingers crossed and looked up the nearest Honda dealership. Found one in Las Vegas, driving the close to 200 miles there and hoping I wasn't doing any more damage to the car.

The guys at Findlay Honda were quite good. They pulled the code (P0430) and "performed a cylinder balance test and found cylinders 2 and 5 running rich."

They replaced ALL 6 fuel injectors as matched set etc. etc. But in the meantime my vacation was ruined, had to spend 2 nights in a smoke filled hotel (all Nevada hotels are smoke filled!) I had not planned for with my asthmatic kid and was out $1827.36 out of pocket on a car I paid close to $50,000 for about 3 years ago. And no, I did not purchase extended warrant because I thought I was buying a Honda car with a bullet proof reputation for reliability.

I have purchased only Hondas since 1985, no cross shopping other products because of the reliability they USED to have. Now I've learnt my lesson.. buy some cheaper, discounted Hyundai or VW and cover my ass with an extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I had not planned for with my asthmatic kid and was out $1827.36 out of pocket on a car I paid close to $50,000 for about 3 years ago. And no, I did not purchase extended warrant because I thought I was buying a Honda car with a bullet proof reputation for reliability.
Had the same issue after updating the software and draining the transmission for the "common" hesitation issues the 2016 has. Brought it to the dealership, then got a call saying it was the injectors and that Honda issued a service bulletin in regards to this issue. Honda is covering it under warranty for 15 years or 150K miles. My Pilot was fixed at no cost to me.
DS211 says it's got a 15 yr 150,000 mile warranty and 85 Accord says it cost him $1800. Sounds strange...

·
Registered
40 Posts
DS211 says it's got a 15 yr 150,000 mile warranty and 85 Accord says it cost him $1800. Sounds strange...
I plan to talk to my regular Honda service guys now I am back home to see what gives. Seems like Honda does not have one policy to handle this issue and what happens depends on which dealership you go to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just started with this same issue. Our Honda dealership told us it was a sensor and was not going to cost us anything. We were to pick it up today. Then we got a call saying that they found the "real" problem and the injectors needed to be replaced and would now cost us $1000.00. Still trying to work this out with them currently. :( I too bought a Honda based on leasing the last few vehicles from them and thought they were reliable. We've only had the car two years, bought it new (2016 year), not used and it only has 40,000. Thinking I should have leased again.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Pilot Elite---Had it for 2 1/2 years so far 3 times in the last 1 1/2 years the emissions system light has come on. They did the software update 1st time, 2nd time they replaced the catalytic convertor and fuel injectors now back in the shop again and said after speaking with Honda they would need to clean the carbon from the intake valves but I would have to pay the $680 for that and they cant guarantee it will solve the problem. I'm now on my 6th Honda from the same dealership and this one is getting on my last nerve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2016 Honda Pilot with 50k miles has had the Emission System Problem text show up on the dash along with the check engine light intermittently for the past 4-5 months. My mechanic has looked at it three times and can't figure out why the lights keep showing up and then going away. My mechanic added fuel injector cleaner, flashed the computer to reset the programming, and sent me to the dealership thinking there may be a recall to address it (dealership did a computer-related odometer recall, but didn't have any immediate answers to the emission system problem and I didn't want to pay them to dig around and diagnose the emissions system problem when my mechanic could do the same cheaper). But my mechanic has not yet pinpointed the problem because it keeps coming and going. Is this a problem that is common among 2016 Pilots and that Honda may issue a recall over? When the lights come on it seems to be when the gas tank level goes below 3/4, or approaching 1/2, but the correlation hasn't been good enough to confidently suspect fuel tank level. It's back with my mechanic today and we'll see what more they recommend--maybe change fuel injectors? If so, I'm suspicious about needing to do that expensive job on a 3 year old car with only 50k miles. I'm wandering if this is something that Honda needs to address.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2016 Honda Pilot with 50k miles has had the Emission System Problem text show up on the dash along with the check engine light intermittently for the past 4-5 months. My mechanic has looked at it three times and can't figure out why the lights keep showing up and then going away. My mechanic added fuel injector cleaner, flashed the computer to reset the programming, and sent me to the dealership thinking there may be a recall to address it (dealership did a computer-related odometer recall, but didn't have any immediate answers to the emission system problem and I didn't want to pay them to dig around and diagnose the emissions system problem when my mechanic could do the same cheaper). But my mechanic has not yet pinpointed the problem because it keeps coming and going. Is this a problem that is common among 2016 Pilots and that Honda may issue a recall over? When the lights come on it seems to be when the gas tank level goes below 3/4, or approaching 1/2, but the correlation hasn't been good enough to confidently suspect fuel tank level. It's back with my mechanic today and we'll see what more they recommend--maybe change fuel injectors? If so, I'm suspicious about needing to do that expensive job on a 3 year old car with only 50k miles. I'm wandering if this is something that Honda needs to address.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use to get this same message on my old Honda Odyssey if the gas cap wasn’t tight enough. Once we tightened it, the message would go away. Today I just got the message on my 2016 Pilot. Could it be that the seal at opening to the gas tank is no longer good, or the fuel lid is not lining up properly? It sounds like the mechanics at Honda are just guessing at how to fix the issue, but not confident in the solution. Does anyone know if the fuel cover can be converted to an actual cap?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update 8/6/2019: My mechanic thought replacing the knock sensor for $600 would solve the problem, and also address the hesitation we sometimes felt during acceleration. That didn't solve either problem. The dash light came back on a few weeks later. What finally really solved it (at least so far 2 months later) was replacing all the fuel injectors for $1,200. Pretty disappointing all around. But hopefully good to go now for many miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had this issue about 4-5 months ago and the dealer only reset the computer. Now it came back again at 35994 miles, luckily I bought the extended warranty. Can't bring it in til about 3 days from now and will update what the solution they told me. I had mentioned fuel injectors last time I was in and I was told they can't replace them unless the error code says otherwise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For those who care: I purchased my 16' Pilot 1 year ago this week. About three months into owning it - showed Emissions code. They did a update and problem went away. Three days ago code came back. This time Honda has a service bulletin on repair. Only fix is replacing injectors etc. My extended warranty covered this repair and only cost me $100 out of pocket.

The only fix is to replace injectors - however the likely hood of this coming back is high. There is no real solution yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For those who care: I purchased my 16' Pilot 1 year ago this week. About three months into owning it - showed Emissions code. They did a update and problem went away. Three days ago code came back. This time Honda has a service bulletin on repair. Only fix is replacing injectors etc. My extended warranty covered this repair and only cost me $100 out of pocket.

The only fix is to replace injectors - however the likely hood of this coming back is high. There is no real solution yet.

So, who told you if you replace the injectors, it will do this again?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, who told you if you replace the injectors, it will do this again?
I work at Honda in sales and have for several years. I sold the 2016 Pilot brand new. Have had several customers with the issue and some are on there 2nd to 3rd set of injectors. I am really good friends with all 18 techs and they all have told me there is truly no fix to this issue and that injectors are only a temporary fix... In some cases it solves the problem in terms of the code not returning. But that's just subject to the vehicle, ECM etc

·
Registered
53 Posts
I work at Honda in sales and have for several years. I sold the 2016 Pilot brand new. Have had several customers with the issue and some are on there 2nd to 3rd set of injectors. I am really good friends with all 18 techs and they all have told me there is truly no fix to this issue and that injectors are only a temporary fix... In some cases it solves the problem in terms of the code not returning. But that's just subject to the vehicle, ECM etc
So, why some never have the problem and some do?

This is alarming that they would go through injectors like this. What is really going on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, why some never have the problem and some do?

This is alarming that they would go through injectors like this. What is really going on?
I wish I knew the answer but I don't and it doesn't make sense to me either. Honda is definitely working on a permanent fix.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts