Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'very had a 2016 Honda Pilot Ex for 11 mths. Twice I had the dash board light up like a Christmas tree with this "Emission" problem. Everything from my traction to my starter was lit up and not working. I've also noticed a few days prior to Christmas coming early, everytime I stepped out of the car it smelled like something was burning, this was on both problematic occasions. The 1st time I brought it to the Honda dealership, I was told it was a burnt out coil. This was 4 months ago. I'm here now for the second time wondering if it's the same issue. Am I the only one going through this, please tell me no. I'm tired of driving 30 miles here and back on my time and dime for a reoccurring faulty issue.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I had mine showed up (emissions system problem) like that last Tuesday and I drove it right to a dealer but they didn't have a slot for me and set it the next morning. I have stopped and started engine a few times without help. At around 7:00 pm when I started it the signs were gone. When to dealer next morning and spent an hour there, and was told catalytic converter intermittent fault. No need to worry. I was able to drive it all this time. I hope it has no relations to the transmission. I have no issues related to the transmission so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my NEW Honda Pilot 2016 from July 2016. After 1-month in August 2016 while I was re-filling gasoline in evening suddenly I noticed my dash board light up like Christmas tree one after the other until my engine shut down. I re-started the engine, drive slowly, and went home. I have shutdown and re-started engine 3 to 4 times hoping that lights up on my dashboard will disappear but it did not. In the morning, I started the engine and noticed the lights up on my dashboard disappear. I went straight to Honda dealership maintenance and reported the problem. They immediately took my Honda Pilot 2016 and checked for more than 1-hour. After checking, I asked them what was the problem and they informed me that it could be due to battery problem only. I wondered and told myself if battery is the problem the car will not start the engine. After 1-month that was 4th week of September 2016 while I was re-filling gasoline in the morning at 10:00 AM with my wife suddenly we noticed my dash board light up like Christmas tree again one after the other until my engine shut down. I re-started the engine, drive slowly, and went to Honda dealership maintenance and reported the problem. They immediately took my Honda Pilot 2016 and checked for more than 2-hours. After checking, I asked them what was the problem and informed me that the car system detected low pressure on the fuel. Honda dealership maintenance here in Riyadh Saudi Arabia reported the problem to Honda Japan. They informed me that they will give feedback when they receive reply from Honda Japan. I asked why to Honda Japan because my Honda Pilot 2016 is Made in U.S.A. and they told me Honda Japan is responsible for Technical issues. I also noticed transmission problem like it cannot go forward and hear transmission noise at D drive and I need to use L drive to move forward. This happen in my place where my parking area is inclined at 20 degree.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had this and all of the other warning lights come up. Had to have the fuel injectors replaced. The dealer had to open a file with the Honda engineers because they had no clue what was going on. They blamed it on being a new engine and new technology for Honda. I don't know maybe my Pilot is a lemon. Now after they changed the fuel injectors, it is not the same. Seems like the rpm's drop down to much and seems now that sometimes when I try to accelerate it has lost that push.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Emmision error popped up twice in a month

We have had similar issues with our 2016 Pilot EX. The first time was a month after we bought it and the dealer stated they located a fixed a leak. The 2nd time occurred a couple weeks later and the dealer couldn't find the issue and tried to tell us that we are leaving the electronics on when we pump our gas, which we don't. they also stated that if it occurs again, we will need to contact their support line instead of bringing it in. Needless to say, we are not happy. Please let us know if you ever find a solution. Thanks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Update on emissions system problem. It happened again two days ago. Took it in today for imjectors and rails replacement. Asked for a loaner and was told he would try to get Honda pay for it. Shortly before 3:00 pm, I was told the car was ready. Returned the rental (Honda refused to pay for it, claiming it would if the job needed to keep my car overnight. Honda is cheap on quality and cheap on customer service), brought it home. Hopefully it will not happen again. Past history indicated it happened every two weeks. So if it won't happen in November I think it's fixed. Otherwise Honda Techline and this dealer didn't know what they were talking about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
pilot emission warning light

My wife had the same issue, was going to bring it to the dealer, stopped for gas and then she read the label inside the gas door, it said to wait 5 seconds after the gas pumps stops, before removing the nozzle from the car, she did and the warning light went off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My emissions system problem light showed up today at 18 degrees F. I've been driving in single digit and sub-zero temps over the last couple of weeks without issue. There is 1/8th of a tank of gas, though I know I removed the gas nozzle before 5 seconds elapsing when I filled the tank a week ago. I have a 2016 Pilot AWD with 66,000 miles on it. Will fill up the tank tonight and see what happens. No other lights have come on yet.

·
Registered
982 Posts
My emissions system problem light showed up today at 18 degrees F. I've been driving in single digit and sub-zero temps over the last couple of weeks without issue. There is 1/8th of a tank of gas, though I know I removed the gas nozzle before 5 seconds elapsing when I filled the tank a week ago. I have a 2016 Pilot AWD with 66,000 miles on it. Will fill up the tank tonight and see what happens. No other lights have come on yet.
I never wait after fill up, and didn't see this issue except last time Emissions System Problem showed up, but injectors and rails replacement took care of that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
After going through a few related discussions, injectors & rails replacement seems to be the solution. I read where a few other posters had catalytic converters replaced only to have subsequent issues with the emissions system failure show up. Hoping my extended Hondacare warranty covers that or any other fix.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just had this issue pop up today (emissions system failure) and took to the dealer. Immediately asked me if I had recently filled up on gas. Going to assume that they will replace the fuel neck but we'll see.

Update: Hard to read the invoice but it looks like the code that popped up was P0430 and they did a 1255C1 software update to "update the PGM-FI". No clue what that is except FI = fuel injection probably. Will see if the issue pops up again but so far so good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My catalytic converter was replaced and worked fine for a couple of weeks but now the light is back on. we will talk next about injectors and rails. grrr.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My catalytic converter was replaced and worked fine for a couple of weeks but now the light is back on. we will talk next about injectors and rails. grrr.
After they updated my software, the Emissions failure popped up again 2 weeks later. They then replaced the rails/injectors and it's been 2 weeks so far so good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read a few of the posts and solutions, since I had the same problem with my 2016 Pilot (Emissions System failure) . On cars that have a gas cap, you could try making sure it "clicks" a few times, but the Pilot is capless, so that solution doesn't work here. Instead, I filled up the gas tank again (only until the pump automatically shut off....I did not try to add more) and then simply flicked to lid a few times to make sure it would seat correctly. The I drove it a few miles to "reset itself". When I parked the light was still on, but when I came back several hours later, the light was off and has been off for a week now.

Hope that works for some of you who have come looking for a solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the emissions system problem light come on about 5 months ago (8,000 miles).
I took it in to the dealer and they reset the software and updated it. Yesterday morning I start it up and then I get the slideshow of Emissions System Problem, Trailer Stability Assist Problem, Hill Start Assist Problem, Vehicle Stability Assist Problem and one other one. I took it in today and the dealer called back and said that the first and fourth cylinder were misfiring. They ran the issue through their system to see if there was a manufacture notice about this problem and it came up as an issue with other ‘16 EX’s. They’re going to replace the fuel line which is covered under the powertrain warranty. I pick it up tomorrow and update if they say anything else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi - following up on this. My 2016 pilot ex-l has been having the same issues. I dropped off the car this morning at the dealership. Were you able to get any more info from the dealership on the fix? I really don't want to do the whole back and forth with these guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings Piloteers

I have been having some bad luck with my Pilot (s) and wonder whether it is me or the dealership or (dread) Honda itself.

I moved to the States in June 2016 and bought a 2015 Honda CR-V. The thing ran like a charm and I only ever had to take it in for oil changes, etc., but never anything else to worry me at all. I then decided 3 months ago to change to something larger which was more suited to my family arrangements and that is when I fell onto the Honda Pilot – my wife preferred the 2016+ shape, so we shopped for those models.

I managed to find a 2016 EX-L, took it for a short test-drive and liked it. After we finalised everything and were driving home, the “Emission System Problem” light went on (hardly half a mile from the dealership). We called the salesman who advised we drive home and return the next day (we took the car out just after the official closing time for the dealership – 2100 – so there was really no one to help if we drove back. Took the vehicle in the next day and they worked on the injectors I believe and we got it back a day later.
I drove it home without any problems, but the following day, the same issue arose again and I called the dealership who advised to bring it back. I had not traveled 30 miles with the vehicle. So I took it back, but this time asked the dealership to test drive it for at least 40 miles before returning it to me. they called 2 days later to advised they had done some repairs and driver the vehicle some 20 miles when the same light went on again. They were now looking at the cylinder head and this would take a little more time.

By now, we had grown wary of this particular vehicle so we asked to change our purchase, and this time settled for a 2016 EX from the same dealership. We took this vehicle home ad this weekend, after about 100 miles with the new vehicle – yes, you guessed it – “EMISSION SYSTEM PROBLEM” light came on again.
1. How serious is this problem – and is it peculiar to the Pilot (never had this with the CR-V?
2. How common is it and is it just coincidence that one dealership is having it?
3. Has anyone else here had a similar problem and how has been resolved? Is it something I would have to live with “forever” with the vehicle – but can I take long drives, like mine from the Tristate to Florida last year, without a worry?

I hope I can get some help here.

Thanks Piloteers

Attachments

1 - 20 of 78 Posts