Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! trust someone can help me.

I imported my 2016 Honda Pilot EXL 4W from the US (I am from Guatemala) - sadly I didn't research properly.

So two weeks from having my pilot, the "Emission System Problem" and Check Engine light came. Also the AWD light came on.
I took it to local Honda dealer and they want to charge me $1000 ONLY for diagnose. I cant pay that kind of money only for diagnose.
My pilot is running perfectly.. for almost 1 year now... with the lights on. - its only disturbing!

I took it to another mechanic and he retrieve P0172 and P0175 codes.
He says may be the O2 sensors need to be changed. I have found them online and they cost about $500 + importing cost + Labour.
I research in this forum and saw the problem might be the injectors as well. So I am very confused!

Before I pay for this, I wanted your suggestions if may be I should change injectors or the O2 sensors.

Thanks your comments!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Both of those codes indicate a “too rich” fuel mixture condition on banks 1 & 2. The engine has 2 “banks” - cylinder 1-3 are bank 1 and cylinders 4-6 bank 2. The engine computer (PCM) calculates the proper fuel mixture on each bank independently using many sensor inputs including the engine coolant temperature, the amount of air being used by the engine and the O2 sensors. Most sensors are common to both banks but the O2 sensors are independent - each bank has its own sensors. So in order for the problem to be O2 sensors it would require a failure of 2 sensors. This is highly unlikely UNLESS this is a high mileage vehicle with original sensors from the factory. Most likely the cause will be related to sensors common to both banks. Check the following items:
  1. Engine coolant temperature. The engine needs to operate at about 190F. This can easily be checked by a scan tool. If not 190F then the problem could be either a faulty sensor or, more common, a bad thermostat stuck open not allowing the engine to reach proper temperature.
  2. Faulty or dirty mass air flow sensor (MAF). The PCM needs to know the volume of air entering the engine and this is provided by the MAF. The MAF is locate in the intake air tube. Sometimes cleaning this device will fix these DTCs. Not likely but it’s an easy thing to try.
  3. Broken or cracked input air tube. This will cause more air to enter the engine than was measured with the MAF. Inspect the air tube for cracks or splits. Inspect all connections for proper tightening of hose clamps.
This is a simple basic list of things to try. The system is complex and there are many more items that could cause these symptoms.
There is a known issue with faulty fuel injectors on 2016 Pilots and Honda has extended the factory warranty here in the states for this problem. Bad fuel injectors would generate additional DTCs so probably not causing the DTCs in your car.
Finally you need to get this fixed. Although the engine may seem to be running fine, by running rich there is a risk that the catalytic converters could be damaged necessitating a very expensive repair.
Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
10,564 Posts
Very good chance it's a dirty Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). Possibly a bug stuck in it.
Make sure the air filter is clean and installed correctly. Box must be closed completely.

The intake hose should be leak free.

Hopefully you have CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF cleaner available in your country. Unplug the MAF and remove (2 small phillips head screws). With very shorts bursts, spray directly into the visible electrodes at the bottom of the sensor (no soaking). This will remove the fine dust particles. Let the sensor dry thoroughly before starting the vehicle.

Do not use any other cleaner not made for electronics or MAF. Some products will leave a oily residue and can make the problem worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts