Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post about others having issues with the emission light coming on. We had our fuel injectors replace this summer (1,800) and now the light is back on and they want to replace the catalytic converter (1,500). None of it is under warranty because we have 81,000 miles. We have already had the air conditioning compressor replaced, push button start was bad. Is this normal? What can we do? We are on a road trip now and the light came back on!

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
250 Posts
I saw a post about others having issues with the emission light coming on. We had our fuel injectors replace this summer (1,800) and now the light is back on and they want to replace the catalytic converter (1,500). None of it is under warranty because we have 81,000 miles. We have already had the air conditioning compressor replaced, push button start was bad. Is this normal? What can we do? We are on a road trip now and the light came back on!
What year is yours? Honda extended the warranty of the injectors for 2016 MY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They said no they couldn’t do anything about the cost of the injectors. We bought the pilot brand new in 2016.

·
Registered
402 Posts
What error code are they pulling that indicates bad catalytic convertor? If the injector problem caused a misfire that went untreated for a long time it could have ruined the cat, so that is plausible. Don't see any problem with finishing your road trip and dealing with it when you get home.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
250 Posts
They said no they couldn’t do anything about the cost of the injectors. We bought the pilot brand new in 2016.
I'd call Honda Corporate and see about getting reimbursed for the set of injectors you paid for. They should honor it since they came out with an extension late.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You need to make sure your pilot has the latest pcm programming. They were setting false p0430 (cat code) due to programming issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In some states cat converter is covered up to 80,000 miles, I would definitely give American Honda a call.

·
Registered
53 Posts
They’ve extended the warranty on the push button on 16-17 modes. You should be able to get your money back of you have those years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They’ve extended the warranty on the push button on 16-17 modes. You should be able to get your money back of you have those years.
What error code are they pulling that indicates bad catalytic convertor? If the injector problem caused a misfire that went untreated for a long time it could have ruined the cat, so that is plausible. Don't see any problem with finishing your road trip and dealing with it when you get home.
Has anyone else had the issue with replacing the fuel injectors and still having the emissions system light come on? We tried using better gas and the light went off for about two months and now it is back on again? I really don't want to replace the catalytic convertor if we don't have to.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Has anyone else had the issue with replacing the fuel injectors and still having the emissions system light come on? We tried using better gas and the light went off for about two months and now it is back on again? I really don't want to replace the catalytic convertor if we don't have to.
You would have to do some more diagnostics on it to get specific error codes and then go from there. Also check the fuel trims on Bank1 and bank2 to see if they are running rich(negative) and if they are, either one or more of your injectors are faulty or could be a misfire which would throw some other codes. Might also be a dirty MAF sensor which is easy to clean. Is it a code P0420 or P0430 which are common ones with the injectors running rich?
I am also assuming that you have replaced the air filter recently as a dirty air filter will cause a rich condition too and trigger the emissions light.
The cat would be the last thing I would check and it is possible that it was saturated by the rich fuel mix when the injectors failed last time. Usually they will return to normal afterwards but not always. Are you also only using the recommended 87 octane top tier fuel? Using premium high octane fuel is not required and will just cause more damage to the cats and injectors and cost you more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts