Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,
I've got a 2017 Pilot Touring with 40,400 miles.
A week ago the check engine light came on saying Emissions System Problem. The outside temperature was -7 Fahrenheit and the gas tank was slightly below 1/4.

It ran fine for me with the light on. I filled up the tank.

The next day I had my wife take it to O'Reilly's for a free code reading. The guy told her the code was P219A and reset it. Unfortunately there is nothing more to be learned from that conversation.

I have since filled up again, and the light has not come back on. (We are still below 0 Fahrenheit)

In looking at TSB 19-073, it mentions P219A in conjunction with P0430 to replace fuel injectors. The guy at O'Reilly's only told my wife the P219A code. Can you get a P219A code without P0430?

I'm just wondering if the extremely cold weather and somewhat empty tank could have caused this error?

Obviously if it happens again I am going to take to Honda to get a better diagnosis, but I thought I should bring this up with you guys and gals - just to see if you all have any thoughts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,320 Posts
Obviously, extreme cold can make a small problem larger. Possibly something that is there but not bad enough to send a trouble code. I'd check these things first...
These vehicles are known to get engine oil into the PCV valve. Is your engine oil full synthetic? Semi synthetic from the dealership will not preform as well in the cold. I'd make sure I had full synthetic oil and replace or clean my PCV valve.
Id also clean the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). This can be done by using CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner. Remove the sensor, then spraying a few short bursts directly into the electrodes, let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
Make sure that your air filter box is closed properly.
Make sure the clamps on the air intake hose are tight. Leak free.
Check to see if the dipstick is inserted all the way in.

Possible Causes of P219A
  • Leaking or contaminated fuel injectors
  • Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
  • Leaking evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge valve
  • Exhaust or intake air system leaks
  • Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system
  • Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is leaking or the valve is stuck open
  • Ignition system
  • Incorrectly seated engine oil dipstick, tube or oil fill cap
The only other thing I would add if your vehicle was mine, If you haven't done it already is to disable the VCM.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
871 Posts
P0219A is bank1 air/fuel ratio out of range and p0430 is bank2 cat efficiency low so yes the two codes are independent of each other. Extremely cold temps can affect the air/fuel ratio and give you those codes but judging by the mileage you have, your injectors may be on the way out. Honda is covering those repairs for 10 years and 150k miles so I am sure the service tech will mention that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These vehicles are known to get engine oil into the PCV valve. Is your engine oil full synthetic?
Id also clean the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). This can be done by using CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner. Remove the sensor, then spraying a few short bursts directly into the electrodes, let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
Make sure that your air filter box is closed properly.
Make sure the clamps on the air intake hose are tight. Leak free.
Check to see if the dipstick is inserted all the way in.

Possible Causes of P219A
  • Leaking or contaminated fuel injectors
  • Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
  • Leaking evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge valve
  • Exhaust or intake air system leaks
  • Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system
  • Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is leaking or the valve is stuck open
  • Ignition system
  • Incorrectly seated engine oil dipstick, tube or oil fill cap
The only other thing I would add if your vehicle was mine, If you haven't done it already is to disable the VCM.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, oil is 0W20.

I'll look into the rest of your recommendations, but it'll be at least a week as I don't have a heated garage. Supposed to warm into the mid 30's next weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P0219A is bank1 air/fuel ratio out of range and p0430 is bank2 cat efficiency low so yes the two codes are independent of each other. Extremely cold temps can affect the air/fuel ratio and give you those codes but judging by the mileage you have, your injectors may be on the way out. Honda is covering those repairs for 10 years and 150k miles so I am sure the service tech will mention that.
Thanks. Yes, it seems like my mileage is right in line with what I am reading on these boards. I guess I'm just hoping it was only cold weather related and I don't have a $1200 bill coming up soon.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,320 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes, oil is 0W20.

I'll look into the rest of your recommendations, but it'll be at least a week as I don't have a heated garage. Supposed to warm into the mid 30's next weekend.
It be nice to find out it was only the dipstick or the oil fill cap not screwed on tight. 🤗

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.