Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Piloteers---I just wanted to share with all of you my unfortunate incident from this past weekend that required me to test the Pilot's emergency maneuver capabilities......I can honest say that you all made an excellent choice in vehicle if "safety" was a high priority...I was traveling 60 mph on a 2 lane highway (in the left lane) when an oncoming vehicle (a Honda Accord) darted directly into my path while they were attempting a left turn..They literally started to turn when I was 30 feet from them...I immediately swerved hard to the right to avoid a head on collision and missed the Accord's front end by a few feet....I then needed to swerve back to the left lane since there was a car in the right lane....While there was significant body sway the vehicle never felt like there was ANY tire lift on either side and the steering response was obviously very quick......My family was in the car and they were pretty shaken up to say the least...When I looked in the rearview mirror I saw the offending vehicle just stopped across the roadway, they were probably in shock knowing they almost caused a head-on collision....The Pilot proved to me that it has excellent weight distribution for situations like this (wider is better!)and Honda did their homework.....I am not sure a 4 Runner could have avoided that impact or at least it would have had some wheel lift ........Drive safely!!! ---waxpilot

·
Registered
61 Posts
GLAD EVERYONE IS OK!!

Thanks for sharing that info on the handling. That's one thing that the Motortrend TV show on SpeedChannel said this past Saturday about the Pilot, being a wider vehicle made the handling MUCH BETTER!!!

Glad to hear that you and your family are OK.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Whew!

Good reflexes on your part combined with the Pilot's capabilities need to be credited for possibly saving someone's life. Safety should be tantamount in a vehicle purchase decision. I know it is for us.

·
Registered
509 Posts
waxpilot said:
...when an oncoming vehicle (a Honda Accord) darted directly into my path while they were attempting a left turn...
Those darned Honda Accord drivers! :8:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Great reflexes!

Knock on wood, I've really never had to use serious "evasive" maneuvers, but it's good to know the Pilot can handle them!

Once we had kids, we will not buy an unsafe vehicle. Five star or nothing!

It still amazes me how some people buy more on price than safety..........

·
Registered
232 Posts
Couldn't agree more on the safety issue. Hondas are great. But if they weren't as safe as any other car on the road I surely wouldn't be in one.

Hopefully we won't see any posts about the effectiveness of the airbags anytime soon. :)

Take it easy out there :4:

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's good to know that nothing serious happen in the incident.

Not to say that men drive better than women, but I just wonder how do I go about training my wife, as this is the first SUV she ever driven, on this type of maneuver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts