Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else get this email?
Somehow I don't feel this is genuine.

Every day more and more exciting and important information is being communicated electronically via the Internet. In the future, Honda would like to communicate with you via eMail, and send you "up-to-date" information on current subject matter, new products or services, that Internet users like you would have an interest in. Honda is presently seeking your permission for the privilege of serving you efficiently and electronically via eMail. Thank you! If you do not wish to have Honda contact you via eMail, please click here or reply to this message and type, "REMOVE" within the subject area and your name will be deleted from our eMailing list immediately Sincerely, Your friends at Honda

It came from [email protected]

Hmmmm......

Al

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Got it too

I would think it is.
Probably gathered the nanes off the Honda owners site or the Pilot site as it came to the email I used to register there, rather than the email I use for BBS postings.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
AlH said:
Anybody else get this email?
Somehow I don't feel this is genuine.

Every day more and more exciting and important information is being communicated electronically via the Internet. In the future, Honda would like to communicate with you via eMail, and send you "up-to-date" information on current subject matter, new products or services, that Internet users like you would have an interest in. Honda is presently seeking your permission for the privilege of serving you efficiently and electronically via eMail. Thank you! If you do not wish to have Honda contact you via eMail, please click here or reply to this message and type, "REMOVE" within the subject area and your name will be deleted from our eMailing list immediately Sincerely, Your friends at Honda

It came from [email protected]

Hmmmm......

Al
I'm suspicious of this email. Don't emails from Honda normally have a domain that references Honda in some way? I look at "[email protected]" and think a Spammer is trying to gather and verify email addresses.

Here's what I think of SPAM: :16:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Spammers.

ssprd1.net is owned by smartsourceonline.com, which is a major spammer.

Report the email to honda.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Looks to me...

Like somebody on Honda's marketing team might have just cheaped out...

http://www.smartsourceonline.com/ is a semi-legit mass mailer...
http://www.smartsourceonline.com/custlist.htm

I suspect Honda MAY have contracted with them to help with mailing and they did NOT pay for a noice "hondaautomobiles.com" REPLY TO field...

George Meyfarth
200 Wheeler Rd
Burlington, MA 01803
US
Phone: 781-564-9780
Fax..: 781-229-7673
Email: [email protected]

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

Domain Name: SSPRD1.NET

Created on..............: Wed, Jun 06, 2001
Expires on..............: Sun, Jun 06, 2004
Record last updated on..: Mon, Jul 15, 2002

Administrative Contact:
SmartSource
George Meyfarth
200 Wheeler Rd
Burlington, MA 01803
US
Phone: 781-564-9780
Fax..: 781-229-7673

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
Register.Com
Domain Registrar
575 8th Avenue - 11th Floor
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 902-749-2701
Fax..: 902-749-5429

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.BSN.PNAP.NET 63.251.129.1
NS2.BSN.PNAP.NET 63.251.129.33

Privacy Policy
We don't share client data we protect it!

The following discloses our information gathering and dissemination practices for the SmartSourceOnline.com website. Please note that this policy in no way supersedes, replaces or complements the privacy policies of our clients (see SmartSource Clients below).
The SmartSource site offers opportunities for visitors to register for free information and for assistance in evaluating our services. These registration forms are often linked to SmartSource mailing lists and require users to give contact information (such as name and e-mail address). We use this contact information to send users information about our company and its products and services. The information is also used to contact site visitors by e-mail for marketing purposes if they have granted permission to us to send it to them on the mailing list form (or other forms on our web site). Users may also be contacted by phone or postal mail for marketing purposes.

We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, and to administer our Web site. Your IP address is also used to gather broad, personally non-identifiable demographic information, such as which countries our site visitors come from. This web site does not currently use cookies, but it may do so in the future. If so, cookies may be used to correlate previously supplied information about you for personalization and tracking purposes.

The SmartSource web site contains links to other sites. SmartSource is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites and recommends that viewers check the privacy policies of other sites to be aware of how your information is being used.

SmartSource Clients
SmartSource provides online marketing services to its clients. These services include customer database management and analysis, e-mail delivery, e-mail tracking and web site tracking. For all clients, SmartSource is contractually bound to keep customer data private and prevented from sharing data across multiple clients.

SmartSource is not responsible for its clients' privacy policies and makes no representations about their accuracy. If you have questions about our clients' practices, we recommend you check their privacy policies and/or contact them directly.

Security
SmartSource uses industry standard technologies and processes, such as secure sockets layer and a physically protected data center, to protect your data. However, perfect security on the Internet is currently impossible. While we make every effort to protect your data, we do not guarantee that your data is perfectly protected.

Choice
SmartSource provides users the opportunity to opt-in and opt-out of receiving e-mail communications from us. This is made available during sign-up for our e-mail lists and in e-mail messages delivered from SmartSource Systems. For any list managed by SmartSource, users can use the link in the footer of most email messages. Alternatively, users can reply to an e-mail message according to the instructions at the bottom of the message.

Anti-Spam
SmartSource practices permission-based e-mail marketing procedures and does not send spam or work with companies who do so.

Notice
SmartSource reserves the right to change its privacy policy at any time. Notifications of changes to our privacy practices will occur through one or more of the following communications:
* Posting of a message on the www.SmartSourceonline.com home page
* Users voluntarily viewing the privacy statement for periodic changes

Contacting SmartSource
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this web site, you can contact:

SmartSource Corporation
200 Wheeler Road
Burlington, MA 01803
800-239-0239
[email protected]

·
Registered
592 Posts
I thought that was SPAM too. I would have expected a honda.com in the email.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Got it too

N_Jay said:
I would think it is.
Probably gathered the nanes off the Honda owners site or the Pilot site as it came to the email I used to register there, rather than the email I use for BBS postings.
Its authentic, I received the same email, and I have even received follow up emails, with ads for the new Accord, etc.

I work for an ISP, you can send out email without providing a reply to address.

This is very common in Marketing. You will notice that, by law, they have provided a way for you to "Opt Out" of receiving any more email from Honda.

Its up to you.

texaspilot

·
Registered
395 Posts
If this were a valid marketing plan, then you should have been given a chance to opt in first, rather than added to a list and then told you will get email unless you opt out.

It's still spam, even if it came from Honda. And smartsourceonline is listed as a spammer on several spam lists I checked.

If this is Honda, shame on them.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Marketing vs spam

Op-in or Op-out, its all the same.
In teh phone solicitation world you have to opt-out.
In the mail solicitation you have to opt-out.
In the door to door solicitation world you have to opt-out.
Why should this be any different?

As much as I hate spam, and don't know anything about this company, I am willing to bet that every email marketing company is on somones SPAM list.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It just seems like a cheesy way to do it. I would have thought a legitimate email from Honda would have seemed a little more professional. Things like the Honda logo, a return address of their own site etc. I would like to receive info they mention, if it really came from Honda. I'm sure Honda monitors this site, if they don't, they are worse businessmen than we realize.

Al

·
Registered
900 Posts
Phone Solicitors

While we're on the subject of phone solicitors...

Kentucky passed a law a while back prohibiting phone solicitors from calling you if you're on a list of people who don't want to be called, and/or you they don't already have a business relationship with you. Believe it or not, it SEEMS TO BE WORKING (yes xyzzy, I'm shouting that part :) )

We get very very few telephone solicitations these days.
And when we do I say the dreaded words "Please put me on your do-not-call list." That shuts them up quickly, never to be heard from again.

http://www.adlawbyrequest.com/legislation/KentuckyTel031802.shtml
http://www.law.state.ky.us/cp/phones.htm

Amazing. Sometimes the law works!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'd go with SPAM. I didn't get it yet but that doesn't mean it isn't coming. They probably crawled the site, picked out the email addresses and now they are checking out their goodies.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Back in May I received an email from Honda saying they had just updated the Pilot site, and inviting me to check out the new site. I believe the email was sent by bigfoot.com on Honda's behalf. They may have have changed companies, but who knows..

·
Registered
900 Posts
banningjr said:
I'd go with SPAM. I didn't get it yet but that doesn't mean it isn't coming. They probably crawled the site, picked out the email addresses and now they are checking out their goodies.
There are no email addresses on this site. If you send someone an email address, you still can't see it (but they see yours as reply address). This site maintains user privacy quite well.

Oh. did you mean they crawled honda-pilot.org, or another site?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Nope, not site crawing

They got the address I used to register at the Honda Owners Link.
Not th eone I use here or on other boards.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Interesting, guess I'm the big WRONG!

:eek:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well today this showed up-

Welcome Dear XXXXXXXX, We at Honda welcome you, and thank you for giving us permission to communicate with you via eMail. We'll be sending you new and exciting information on subjects such as the extraordinary 2003 Honda model line and Owner Link™, your valuable, personalized online information center for your Honda. Again, thank you. Sincerely, Honda

So I suppose it is legit, it did have the Honda logo at the beginning.

Al

1 - 17 of 17 Posts