Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
261 - 280 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,378 Posts
@Nail Grease For many people, when a feature does not work that is part of a vehicle's design, it is quite concerning not only out of the principle of not getting what you paid for, but also because that malfunction may be indicative of a more insidious larger problem that should be proactively troubleshot. In this case, the malfunction of the start/stop could manifest into the Pilot not starting at all if there is a bad battery or a problem with the electrical system.

Furthermore, there are many people that wish to use this feature for its intended purpose -- I.E., to reduce pollution and save a little gas.

Telling people to just not to use a feature that is malfunctioning is really not useful advice at all.

Peace out.
Sorry, I missed your reply. I agree with what @Daltongang said.
I completely understand wanting a feature to work, but quite frankly, all things break. Some things at worst moments than others. This feature can leave you out in the middle of an intersection if one is not careful about when they come to a stop. What many folks don't understand is the feature not only added to your vehicles up front cost, but also will cost you in unexpected down time, which could result in loss of income if you were headed to work, possibly towing charges, if your out of town the need for a hotel while your vehicle is being repaired, you will have more frequent battery replacement purchases and the possibility of having to replace the starter ($1200). If money is no object, then by all means, use the feature you paid for. Be careful about braking in the middle of an intersection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Several times our 2016 Elite has stalled at a stoplight. It takes time to start back up. Dealer said transmission software update may be problem.

Has anyone else heard of this. I know there’s a long thread on transmission problems but I just can’t read the whole thing to see if this is mentioned there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OMG, this is the exact problem I am having! My 2016 Elite had cut off at the stop light twice now. How did you resolve this? Thanks.

·
Registered
12,378 Posts
Best way
OMG, this is the exact problem I am having! My 2016 Elite had cut off at the stop light twice now. How did you resolve this? Thanks.
Best way to resolve it is not to use it. IMO, The eventuality that the vehicle will not re-fire is in all practicality, unavoidable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2018 Elite that is exhibiting the same problem. Dealer was able to replicate the problem. They claimed to have fixed it, but about 2 days ago it did it again. It took even longer to get it to restart this time. This looks like a known issue since 2015. Honda needs to step up and fix it. When someone gets killed due to this malfunction, Honda can't say they didn't know.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
according to owner’s manual the auto idle function will automatically not turn off in multiple situations...see below
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle

I’m having the same issue and am going to try keeping climate controlled on Lo setting and low fan all the time (when warm outside) or Hi and fan on low when cold outside. Had anyone else tested this out? Another option Apparently is putting rear fan set to maximum speed

·
Registered
2 Posts
according to owner’s manual the auto idle function will automatically not turn off in multiple situations...see below

I’m having the same issue and am going to try keeping climate controlled on Lo setting and low fan all the time (when warm outside) or Hi and fan on low when cold outside. Had anyone else tested this out? Another option Apparently is putting rear fan set to maximum speed
The problem is not with it not turning the engine off at stop. The problem is the engine restarting when you take you foot off the brake. It then just doesn't want to restart. From my experience it seems like the Pilot eventually does a reboot as you can see the Honda logo come up on the instrument panel. After that it will usually restart. This can some times take several minutes. Long enough for everyone to let you know you're number one as they go by you.. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The problem is not with it not turning the engine off at stop. The problem is the engine restarting when you take you foot off the brake. It then just doesn't want to restart. From my experience it seems like the Pilot eventually does a reboot as you can see the Honda logo come up on the instrument panel. After that it will usually restart. This can some times take several minutes. Long enough for everyone to let you know you're number one as they go by you.. Very frustrating.
Understood, but an albeit imperfect work around solution to that problem is to simply stop the vehicle from auto idle stopping in the first place. The default setting is that the Auto Idle Stop feature is automatically turned ON when starting the vehicle. Many don’t like it and is causing numerous problems. The risk of it not working properly (not to mention the increased wear on the starter) vs the limited benefit doesn’t seem justified to me and many others. Pushing the off button every time you start the car is one option, taking apart the center column to mess around with the wiring of the switch is another, installing Idlestopper appears to be another and I was investigating if others have tried some of the easier items on the list of things in the owners manual. It seems taking it to the dealer for a fix is not a reliable solution (maybe change the battery). Honda has not put out a TSB or any software update on this yet. The more people submit reports to Honda and the NTSB, the more likely there will be a formal fix issued from Honda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Understood, but an albeit imperfect work around solution to that problem is to simply stop the vehicle from auto idle stopping in the first place. The default setting is that the Auto Idle Stop feature is automatically turned ON when starting the vehicle. Many don’t like it and is causing numerous problems. The risk of it not working properly (not to mention the increased wear on the starter) vs the limited benefit doesn’t seem justified to me and many others. Pushing the off button every time you start the car is one option, taking apart the center column to mess around with the wiring of the switch is another, installing Idlestopper appears to be another and I was investigating if others have tried some of the easier items on the list of things in the owners manual. It seems taking it to the dealer for a fix is not a reliable solution (maybe change the battery). Honda has not put out a TSB or any software update on this yet. The more people submit reports to Honda and the NTSB, the more likely there will be a formal fix issued from Honda.

I just took my 2019 pilot touring in because it left me stranded 3 times in the last 3 weeks; they said a weak battery and replaced it - lets see what happens! I also complained that the car "jerks' me when accelerating between 25-29 mph... very rough in the gear changes around 25-29 mph, they said it was the way I drive the car that maybe I let up on the gas pedal while its switching gears making the car jerk.... 🤨 lets see if anything changes after today's service.

·
Registered
12,378 Posts
I just took my 2019 pilot touring in because it left me stranded 3 times in the last 3 weeks; they said a weak battery and replaced it - lets see what happens! I also complained that the car "jerks' me when accelerating between 25-29 mph... very rough in the gear changes around 25-29 mph, they said it was the way I drive the car that maybe I let up on the gas pedal while its switching gears making the car jerk.... 🤨 lets see if anything changes after today's service.
Those are low/bad battery or bad alternator symptoms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a deadly issue.. someone is gong to die. Then they will do a recall. 2016 pilot . Same issues along with a lurching when accelerating in lower gears. But we can all pay for the feature. So to recap and if I missed something let me know.. I jumped from page 11 to the end... The battery replacement is not a correction just a sell for Honda and short term fix at best. Only solution is to turn the feature off when pulling out of the garage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So this started happening a few days ago to me. I own a 2017 Pilot Elite and currently at 56,500 miles. I made an appointment for Saturday at the dealership and started to google and found this page. I went in today (Thursday) to talk to the service guy I normally deal with and on the way to the dealership i was able to record a video of the start stop failure as I was coming to a stop at a light. I have the issue where it won’t start initially in my garage when I am getting ready to leave the house and so i will have to turn it all the way off and then it starts up after a few attempts (it won’t even try to turn over) or the car will completely die when I’m it comes time to start back up from the start stop feature. I have videos of both. I talked to him about this webpage and my want to cancel my appointment considering the diagnostic will cost me $60. He told me to keep my appointment and he will waive the diagnostic fee. He has seen 3 cars come through the dealership with the same issue and he hasn’t seen a solve to the problem yet but the more cars they get in with the issue, hopefully the faster Honda will get a fix to it. The only recommendation he has seen is the battery replacement but hasn’t solved the problem. Good thing is I have the extended warranty 120,000/8 years so I’m covered on that end If they want to start replacing stuff other than the battery. They had a mechanic run a battery check this morning and it was good. I’m going to file a complaint with NHTSA and Honda this morning.

·
Registered
12,378 Posts
Great idea.

My problem is remembering to turn it off because it turns itself back on everytime I start the vehicle.
Yep, I'd have to do the permanent fix.

Reactions: Matt_Pilot2018

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great idea.

My problem is remembering to turn it off because it turns itself back on everytime I start the vehicle.
You could always turn the climate control to low…that way you don’t have to remember. Not sure where you are located if that works for you but that’s my plan and then when the winter comes along, I will set the passenger side to high until they figure this out. I’m retired so I will be going to the dealership every day until they replace every part on my car figuring this out…I paid extra for the extended warranty, might as well make it work for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We may have an answer to the problem! Both my friend and I have Pilots that were doing this. New batteries seem to have fixed the problem. Mine had tested "good" but I went with the replacement anyway (4-year old battery) since it worked for my friend. No problems in the past few days of driving! :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
We may have an answer to the problem! Both my friend and I have Pilots that were doing this. New batteries seem to have fixed the problem. Mine had tested "good" but I went with the replacement anyway (4-year old battery) since it worked for my friend. No problems in the past few days of driving! :)
Wish I could share your optimism. As per my post a couple months ago (Elite shuts off at stop light), I had high hopes that a top-rated AGM battery that has better specs than the Honda OEM battery would nip this issue. It seemed to do it for a month or so, but every now and then it sputters and the infotainment screen reboots when lifting the brake. So far, this hasn't resulted in the full-on dead car rebooting for 30 seconds with the prior battery, but it's still super disconcerting and signals that it could come back. This typically happens in warmer weather (near or over 90 degrees) with the A/C running.

Bottom line, even with a good battery, there's still a design flaw allowing the voltage to drop too low. For these reasons, we are now manually shutting off the Auto Stop/Start with each start of the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have experienced this same problem with my 2016 Honda Pilot Elite. I have 20,000 miles on the vehicle, and about 6 months ago, it would "stall out" at a stop light or stop sign when I was in "auto idle-stop" and pressed on the gas. I first noticed that the auto idle-stop was hesitating when it would start up. I also noticed that the radio would "cut out". After that, the vehicle would just stall out and I would have to push park, put my foot on the brake and then push start. This is very inconvenient when you are at a stop light or getting ready to make a turn and the vehicle just "dies". Took it into the dealership and they said it was a software adjustment. The auto idle-stop worked for a couple of days, then started hesitating and now it intermittently stalls when the gas is pressed. I will take it in again and report the same problem.
I've commented on this thread a few times because I have the same issue with my 2017 Touring model. They updated the software a while back and it didn't help. I just took it in again a few weeks ago because the problem had gotten worse. They updated the software again and it is finally fixed, however, the auto idle doesn't work at all, which is fine with me! I have asked them multiple times to completely disable the feature and they always said they couldn't so I don't think this was on purpose, but I am happy with the result.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This exact problem has plagued our 2017 Elite. It has happened a few times a year the past two years or so while my wife was driving. We figured it was the auto stop/start. A few weeks ago I did the Amazon timer board install that now automatically toggles the disable button every time we start the car. No more remembering. Well, we were going from MD to CT today for Thanksgiving and while off the highway in northern NJ and in traffic (stopped), it stalled and the transmission flipped to neutral with a message telling me to put it in park to start. My wife said "this is EXACTLY what it did to me before". The kicker is, it wouldn't start. I kept trying, foot on the brake, pressing transmission buttons frantically and jamming the start button repeatedly as NY/NJ drivers we're ready to mow me down. After about 20-30 seconds, it started up. Unnerving. So I can tell you has NOTHING to do with auto start/stop as it was clearly disabled when this happened. I may look into the battery replacement as it is a few weeks short of 4 years since we bought it and still have the original battery.

·
Registered
12,378 Posts
This exact problem has plagued our 2017 Elite. It has happened a few times a year the past two years or so while my wife was driving. We figured it was the auto stop/start. A few weeks ago I did the Amazon timer board install that now automatically toggles the disable button every time we start the car. No more remembering. Well, we were going from MD to CT today for Thanksgiving and while off the highway in northern NJ and in traffic (stopped), it stalled and the transmission flipped to neutral with a message telling me to put it in park to start. My wife said "this is EXACTLY what it did to me before". The kicker is, it wouldn't start. I kept trying, foot on the brake, pressing transmission buttons frantically and jamming the start button repeatedly as NY/NJ drivers we're ready to mow me down. After about 20-30 seconds, it started up. Unnerving. So I can tell you has NOTHING to do with auto start/stop as it was clearly disabled when this happened. I may look into the battery replacement as it is a few weeks short of 4 years since we bought it and still have the original battery.
I'd say it's time for a new battery.

Reactions: MtMan
261 - 280 of 280 Posts