Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
241 - 260 of 280 Posts
1 Posts
Completely agree with you. That is why I am constantly reminding my wife to turn off the feature. Ultimately it is up to her to remember to press the button, however I do feel there is a major safety concern that needs to be addressed in those instances she forgets and the vehicle decides to shut itself off and not start back up. It has scared the sh*t out of her, AND my kids. Another reason it baffles me that she even forgets to hit the disable button. It's right there...two buttons down from "D"! Don't get me started, that discussion is for another time!
I have a 2018 Elite with 26K, we routinely drive with the environmental button OFF,

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, read through the many posts here. We got our 2021 Pilot EX less than 2 weeks ago and my wife reported this very issue to me this morning. Whatever it is, Honda seems to have dropped the ball and still not resolved it. My question for Honda: Couldn't you just have the car start initially with this feature OFF by default? Then anyone who really wants to save a couple of ounces of CO2 emissions can switch it on. If their software people can't find the root cause, this would be an easy way to avoid potential liability for injury/death until they do find the problem. The technical side of me tells me it could be anything from a bad door switch (thinks it is open) or low battery, to a poorly written software routine. Statistically, I would bet on the software. Really disappointed I didn't visit this forum before choosing a new car. I expected a Honda to be 100% perfect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just signed up to say, i just bought a 2019 pilot touring with less than 15000 miles for my wife. 3rd Honda in the driveway, I've owned several. Unfortunately this pilot has the starter issue.

I own a 2013 accord and already went through this issue. It cost me almost 1000k to have it towed and fixed (starter replaced) at the dealer (around 2015/16). After that the car had been fine (over 180,000 miles on it and running great). I'm also a member on the driveaccord forum, it's the same story over there. Key ignition, push button start, 4cylinder, or v6. It's been 95% the starter Honda uses.

My wife's friend has a crv that also had a bad starter and stranded her family. And my wife told her how our accord stranded us before and advised her to get the starter replaced. Her crv is running fine now. She was told it could be the battery, alternator etc.

I hope there's a class action law suit and anyone who paid can get reimbursed. I may have to replace the starter myself since I purchased it "as is". The dealer may replace it for me since it's been less that a week, but if not I can do the job. I do all my auto repair/maintenance.

On driveaccord, I think we narrowed it down to the relay on the starter not engaging the starter. It clicks but the starter doesn't spin up, eventually it will but no guarantee. I hope this helps as it's not a pilot problem, look up starter and change the model and you see the pattern (accord, pilot, crv, Ridgline, etc.) Honda should certainly be aware of it be now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have been at this thread more than a couple times and I seriously hesitated sharing my experience. But every time I get in my Honda Pilot 2019 Elite and reflect on all I have read on this post, I am very sure I will be inclined not to step into a Pilot. Purchasing one would be an impossibility. But I am close to approaching 25,000 miles and my experience with the vehicle has been a pleasant experience. I have never disabled the auto-on feature and enjoy seeing it work. It is obvious what is another man’s frustration is another man’s pleasure. The only issue I have encountered that I consider a real issue was when my serpentine belt slacked due to human error at the Honda service center I use. I reported that issue in another thread so I won’t bother discussing it further here. My sincere belief is that the vast majority of Honda Pilot owners do not have issues with the technology Honda added to this vehicle. Not suggesting the technology can’t fail but it works most of the time. Definitely empathize with those who have experienced terrible mishaps but it doesn’t reflect everyone’s experience. Just adding this comment for those who may be considering owning this vehicle. Bad reviews are the ones we see the most. People who have great experiences seldom take time to share them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been at this thread more than a couple times and I seriously hesitated sharing my experience. But every time I get in my Honda Pilot 2019 Elite and reflect on all I have read on this post, I am very sure I will be inclined not to step into a Pilot. Purchasing one would be an impossibility. But I am close to approaching 25,000 miles and my experience with the vehicle has been a pleasant experience. I have never disabled the auto-on feature and enjoy seeing it work. It is obvious what is another man’s frustration is another man’s pleasure. The only issue I have encountered that I consider a real issue was when my serpentine belt slacked due to human error at the Honda service center I use. I reported that issue in another thread so I won’t bother discussing it further here. My sincere belief is that the vast majority of Honda Pilot owners do not have issues with the technology Honda added to this vehicle. Not suggesting the technology can’t fail but it works most of the time. Definitely empathize with those who have experienced terrible mishaps but it doesn’t reflect everyone’s experience. Just adding this comment for those who may be considering owning this vehicle. Bad reviews are the ones we see the most. People who have great experiences seldom take time to share them.

Very true, I'll update that the problem with the pilot not starting has not returned. I was not there when it gave my wife a problem, it could have been user error. It's working fine.

I may have over reacted since it happened on other occasions. Negative things are usually posted/shouted and the positive doesn't get noticed because it's quietly working as it should. I now have 3 Honda's working quietly.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I recently started having exactly the same idle stop/start issue on my 2016 Pilot Elite with 26,000 miles. This car has been great, and at 26,000 have not needed, nor expected any repairs until the idle stop problem. Apparently, this forum indicates that this is not an uncommon occurrence for unhappy Honda owners. It is a major safety problem. It is very scary and dangerous when your car stop, die and will not immediately start during heavy traffic stop. This should not be happening to a car (with higher price) bought for it's reputation and dependability. Since this issue has been a problem for many years, Honda should corrected it, rather than allowing the problem to be carried on to succeeding years!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also coming here to report my issues and share my experience. For the last year or so (probably longer) I had already had the idle stop issue happen so many times that I have gotten into the habit of turning it off whenever I get into the car. Today I had to take my son to conditioning, so I picked him up at home and stopped for gas on the way. I must have forgotten to hit the button, because on the way there it idle stopped, but you also heard the click of the electronics shutting off. In this case it immediately started back up. I then dropped him off, and the auto restart must have restarted the idle stop because I never shut off the engine. I parked, he got out, and I immediately left. While down the road stopped in the left lane at a stoplight, my car idle shut off and completely died. Every time it does this, I have to shift into park and then try to restart. In this instance, it wouldn't even let me restart. Twice I received a "Brake System Problem" warning, and had to throw my hazards on. At this point, the light was green and people are having to move to get around me. The third time I was finally able to start up again. We've had this car since October of 2017 and taken it to the dealer for this and of course they can never replicate it. Has ANYONE had any success with this? We have also had the "Emissions System Problem" alarm as well. I'm so done with this car!

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite AWD
47 Posts
Also coming here to report my issues and share my experience. For the last year or so (probably longer) I had already had the idle stop issue happen so many times that I have gotten into the habit of turning it off whenever I get into the car. Today I had to take my son to conditioning, so I picked him up at home and stopped for gas on the way. I must have forgotten to hit the button, because on the way there it idle stopped, but you also heard the click of the electronics shutting off. In this case it immediately started back up. I then dropped him off, and the auto restart must have restarted the idle stop because I never shut off the engine. I parked, he got out, and I immediately left. While down the road stopped in the left lane at a stoplight, my car idle shut off and completely died. Every time it does this, I have to shift into park and then try to restart. In this instance, it wouldn't even let me restart. Twice I received a "Brake System Problem" warning, and had to throw my hazards on. At this point, the light was green and people are having to move to get around me. The third time I was finally able to start up again. We've had this car since October of 2017 and taken it to the dealer for this and of course they can never replicate it. Has ANYONE had any success with this? We have also had the "Emissions System Problem" alarm as well. I'm so done with this car!
Same experience here. Thats why my wife and I always turn off the "A" button. And I change my habbit of fully releasing the brakes and step on the gas pedal right away in a traffic stop esp I am the 1st car before the stoplight. Instead I released the brakes half-way (if the A btton is on it will restart the engine) let the car run a little bit then press the gas pedal slowly. Ever since I am doing this way no more engine failure. This is my 2c. Hope it helps. Regarding the emission problems we covered under TSB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Over two years of this happening to 2016/2017 Pilots and zero responsibility or accountability by Honda for its defective product.
We have filed reports with NHTSA and have taken our car in several times. They just called me today and said they think it is the starter. Thank goodness for extended warranty or this is over $1600 through the dealership. Completely ridiculous it is not a recall yet...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reporting the same issue with my 2017 Pilot Touring.

On idle re-start the vehicle has failed to start 1 time and had a difficult time starting 5-10 times. Started earlier this year.

In all instances, lots of error/warning lights.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So, my wife and I experienced this problem in our 2017 Touring a few weeks ago in traffic on a very hot day. Every symptom as described -- error lights, transmission shifted to neutral, took multiple presses of the Start button before it would start (about 15 seconds), etc.. It happened multiple times while in traffic until we turned off the stop/start. Then I found this thread and did tons of research.

Ultimately, after consulting with our Honda service manager asking if this was known problem with a TSB and/or extended warranty, he said it's not that common but a bad battery is almost always the culprit. He said batteries typically last 3-5 years. Indeed, our battery is 4.5 years old and it makes sense this could be the problem. The service manager explained that anytime voltage drops below about 8 V, you'll see all of these malfunctions. So if bad battery is culprit, you'll experience it first in the start/stop cycle rather than a cold start, because A/C, radio, etc. are running in start/stop cycle, which is bigger draw on the battery.

Based on this and the age of my battery, I went ahead and replaced it (Honda dealer wanted about $300 to do it; I did it at Pep Boys for about $230 with a top-rated AGM battery). It's been about 3 weeks and we've had lots of heat waves and happily the problem has not recurred. :)

My theory is that, for those that have replaced their battery and the problem still doesn't go away, there's some other insidious parasitic draw on the electrical system that is causing a strain on the battery that pushes the battery beyond its limit during start/stop cycle. But I think this is a small minority of owners, and a battery replacement should be pursued first as the most likely cause if older than 3 years old.

My heart goes out to those that have this continue happening after battery replacement -- not a fun thing to have happen when in traffic!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reporting the same issue with my 2017 Pilot Touring.

On idle re-start the vehicle has failed to start 1 time and had a difficult time starting 5-10 times. Started earlier this year.

In all instances, lots of error/warning lights.
As soon as I post... failed to start again today after idle stop in traffic. =)

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,377 Posts
As soon as I post... failed to start again today after idle stop in traffic. =)
No one is forced to use this feature. I would press the button to turn it off or disable it to prevent it from turning my vehicle off.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
149 Posts
No one is forced to use this feature. I would press the button to turn it off or disable it to prevent it from turning my vehicle off.
@Nail Grease For many people, when a feature does not work that is part of a vehicle's design, it is quite concerning not only out of the principle of not getting what you paid for, but also because that malfunction may be indicative of a more insidious larger problem that should be proactively troubleshot. In this case, the malfunction of the start/stop could manifest into the Pilot not starting at all if there is a bad battery or a problem with the electrical system.

Furthermore, there are many people that wish to use this feature for its intended purpose -- I.E., to reduce pollution and save a little gas.

Telling people to just not to use a feature that is malfunctioning is really not useful advice at all.

Peace out.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,109 Posts
Part of this feature is understanding the feature itself. At startup the vehicle battery is heavily used. When Auto Idle Stop feature is engaged, then the battery is taxed frequently. Often too frequently. The AGM battery needed in modern vehicles has draw backs that have to be kept in mind.

AGM batteries need a slower recharge rate than a typical flood acid battery does. Many people don't think twice about making little five minute runs day in and day out, often multiple little runs in one day. This taxes the battery considerably since the battery does not have sufficient time to recharge. A constantly undercharged battery will cause the battery to deteriorate quicker than one that is maintained at the proper charge level.

When making little short trips it is advisable to turn off the AIS system and if you want to use it, then use it for longer drives that will allow the battery to be recharged to the proper level.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I filed a complaint with the NHSTA in January of 2020. Add mine to the list for this issue.

Safety Issue Type: Complaints
January 11 2020 NHTSA ID Number: 11298616 Components: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, ENGINE

NHTSA ID Number 11298616
Incident Date September 20 2019
Consumer Location POTOMAC, MD
Vehicle Identification Number 5FNYF6H91HB**

Complaint Summary

CRASH No FIRE No INJURIES 0 DEATHS 0

ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO, WHEN MY CAR HAD LESS THAN 30K MILES. MY CAR WOULD STALL WHILE THE CAR WAS IN "AUTO IDLE-STOP MODE". INITIALLY, I FIRST NOTICED THAT THE AUTO IDLE-STOP WAS HESITATING WHEN IT WOULD START UP. THEN THINGS GOT WORSE AND I NOTICED THAT THE RADIO WOULD TURN OFF AND I'D HEAR ALL OF THE CHIMES LIKE WHEN I START THE CAR. I BROUGHT MY CAR TO HONDA TO HAVE THIS FIXED. THEY SAID IT WAS THE COMPUTER AND CLAIMED THEY FIXED IT. THE PROBLEM STILL CONTINUES. I ALSO HAD A CONVERSATION WITH THE SERVICE MANAGER AND HE PROMISED HE WOULD INFORM HONDA CORPORATE. I NEVER RECEIVED ANY FOLLOW UP. I GOOGLED THIS PROBLEM AND HAVE FOUND OUT I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE. THIS IS DANGEROUS BECAUSE SOMETIMES I NEED TO MAKE A TURN AND MY CAR HAS STALLED AND ADDS A FEW SECONDS. THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE EXPERIENCEING THE SAME PROBLEM: HTTPS:// WWW.PILOTEERS.ORG/THREADS/ELITE-SHUTS-OFF-AT-STOP- LIGHT.157005/

Affected Products (1)

Vehicle

MAKE MODEL YEAR

HONDA PILOT 2017

Generated at NHTSA.gov 1 / 1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Several times our 2016 Elite has stalled at a stoplight. It takes time to start back up. Dealer said transmission software update may be problem.

Has anyone else heard of this. I know there’s a long thread on transmission problems but I just can’t read the whole thing to see if this is mentioned there

I experienced this as well, (see my post). Replacing the battery fixed the problem. Mine was 5 years old. Everything else passed their inspections. They did recharge my battery and it was ok, but I chose to put a new one in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In the year and a half since you filed that complaint, did the problem ever get resolved? Or do you simply turn off the Auto Stop/Start on every ride?
issue Is still not resolved. Seems to be worse in hot weather. Not sure about cold. I try to remember to disable auto start every time but I sometimes forget. What really concerns me is when my son starts driving. I don’t think he’ll remember to disable the feature and I think he could get flustered by a stall. I think Honda knows and is waiting to have enough deaths. I went to the top of the service department at my local Honda dealer. No follow up. They claimed to never have heard of this, yet look at this thread. I am so aggravated with Honda and will likely never purchase another one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2018 Pilot Elite 4 months ago, and about 6 weeks ago, I started having the stalling issue. I have had 2 different start/stall problems, so I am not sure if they are connected or 2 different issues. The first issue I was leaving work, engine cold, started with no issue, pulled out my phone to check something before I started driving. Some extra lights caught my eye on the dash, and it was lit up like a christmas tree, and engine was off. I had been idling less than 2 minutes when this happened. The dash cycled through telling me that pretty much every system has failed. A coworker saw that I was still sitting there, and happened to have a scan tool and it gave me a P2101 ETCS Malfunction. Engine would restart and immediately die. Eventually it started and stayed idling, but there was no throttle response, and no shift response. After googling what was going on, with the car off, I tried starting again, and it fired right up, no lights, no faults, just like nothing happened. Over the next few days, it didn't happen again. Then, leaving a doctor appointment, I stopped at a stop sign to leave the parking lot, and it did the same thing, got it started after a few minutes, but it was in limp mode. Got back to work as it was a short distance at slow speeds. When I left work, no issue all the way home. The next day, no issues all day, then about half way home while driving, all the lights came on again engine shut off while going about 35 mph, it was automatically shifted to neutral so I coasted it into a parking lot off the road and started recording with my phone what was going on. That was the last time that issue has happened back on March 25th. The AIS "should" have only come into play during the second incident stopping at a stop sign.

After these initial 3 incidents, the pilot now stalls randomly at stop lights/signs or while slowing for corners. This happens with AIS enabled and disabled. It's 1 thing to have it stall out while at a stop, but the stalling while slowing for a corner (still moving at about 25 mph) is the bigger concern for me at this point. I have taken it to the dealership and they "couldn't duplicate" the issue as others have claimed. After picking it up from the dealership, drove it home with no issue. Later that evening I drove it about 20 miles to my part time job, still no issues. When leaving there, I had to stop and talk to my boss, and left it idling in the parking lot for a few minutes while I ran inside. When I came back out, it had died again, and didn't want to start as it acted like it was out of gas (was at a half a tank), finally got it started, and had no throttle. Turned everything off completely, waited a minute and then it started up like nothing. When it stalls out like this, the only lights that come on the dash is the battery light and the warning light. At first, the only thing that I was noticing was that it would only stall at about a half a tank, so I was keeping it filled up, and then it happened with a full tank, so that bit went out the window. I checked the battery during a start cycle, and it only drops to about 11.3 volts when starting. I have looked at the MAF, and it is clean, as well as the throttle body and idle air valve. So I am thinking it is an electrical/computer issue, and very well could be unrelated to this thread as my issue doesn't seem to be only with the AIS system.

This is very disappointing having purchased this as it was meant to be for my wife, but with her having bad anxiety (and worse while driving after a hit and run last year), I can't have her driving it and stalling out randomly. I thought this would be a nice treat as it has every feature we could ever want, along with a few that I don't care for. But I think this will be the last Honda product that I will purchase after this experience.

I have also contacted Honda Corporate and filed a complaint through NHTSA # 11424313

241 - 260 of 280 Posts