Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
221 - 240 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,377 Posts
I beg to differ. It is easy to control the function so it re-starts before a traffic light turns green. It never shuts off while the vehicle is accelerating or moving at a steady speed.
Yes, it works fine until it glitches.

Reactions: EFICTION

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,109 Posts
Yes, it works fine until it glitches.
Much like timing belts work fine until they break, water pumps, oil pumps, power steering pumps work fine until they don’t pump, ignition coil packs , alternators and batteries that fail, tie rods, ball joints that fail. All of which can fail at any given moment leaving you in a dangerous situation on a street, highway or interstate.

Where as if the auto idle stop glitches on you and you are in a precarious situation you have chosen to put yourself in that situation. The precarious situation as you call it would be sitting in an intersection waiting to turn left.

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
Much like timing belts work fine until they break, water pumps, oil pumps, power steering pumps work fine until they don’t pump, ignition coil packs , alternators and batteries that fail, tie rods, ball joints that fail. All of which can fail at any given moment leaving you in a dangerous situation on a street, highway or interstate.
I'll give you the timing belt gor a no warning stranding, but most everything else would likely give you time to make a repair.
Where as if the auto idle stop glitches on you and you are in a precarious situation you have chosen to put yourself in that situation. The precarious situation as you call it would be sitting in an intersection waiting to turn left.
As in, choosing to use the function.
As in, needing to brake after enterning an intersection.
According to you, this is driver error if the system glitches.

·
Administrator
5,109 Posts
As in, choosing to use the function.
You can choose to not use this function, just push the little button after you start the vehicle. If pushing the gear selector button depletes your strength to the point that you just can't push the Auto Idle Stop disengage button then maybe, just maybe you shouldn't be on the road.

As in, needing to brake after enterning an intersection.
As in failing to properly yield the right of way thereby causing yourself to have to stop in an intersection instead of making a left turn when the intersection is clear of immediate traffic. More than half of all traffic accident (53%) are from failing to yield during a left hand turn. That is not an Engine Idle Stop problem that is a driver being in a hurry problem.

According to you, this is driver error if the system glitches.
The error in this situation is if YOU put yourself in a dangerous situation by stopping in an intersection instead of having the patience to wait until it is safe to make that left hand turn.

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
You can choose to not use this function, just push the little button after you start the vehicle. If pushing the gear selector button depletes your strength to the point that you just can't push the Auto Idle Stop disengage button then maybe, just maybe you shouldn't be on the road.

As in failing to properly yield the right of way thereby causing yourself to have to stop in an intersection instead of making a left turn when the intersection is clear of immediate traffic. More than half of all traffic accident (53%) are from failing to yield during a left hand turn. That is not an Engine Idle Stop problem that is a driver being in a hurry problem.

The error in this situation is if YOU put yourself in a dangerous situation by stopping in an intersection instead of having the patience to wait until it is safe to make that left hand turn.
You sound like an attorney in a lawsuit.
Customers don't expect a catastrophic failure of their vehicle to possibly cost them their life or families lives.

·
Administrator
5,109 Posts
You sound like an attorney in a lawsuit.
Customers don't expect a catastrophic failure of their vehicle to possibly cost them their life or families lives.
No I sound like a guy who spent 34 years dealing with the outcomes of traffic accidents. Mechanical failure accounts for only 12-13% of all accidents of which the vast majority are tire/wheel failures, followed by brake failure then steering component failure.

That means that the other 87 -88% are caused by human failure. The most common of which are:

Speeding
Failing to follow other traffic ordinances
Reaching for an object
Writing and reading
Putting makeup on and grooming
Dialing a number on your phone
Eating/drinking
Texting
Talking on the phone
GPS systems
Adjusting the radio
Talking/interacting with the other passengers
Daydreaming

Vehicle manufacturers as well as normal citizens expect that people who driver vehicles to operate their vehicles in a safe, and legal manner. They also expect that vehicle owners to properly maintain their vehicles.

Humans just hate to admit that when it comes to the operation of a vehicle that they by in large are the catastrophic failure in the equation.

·
Registered
261 Posts

And that’s why it’s dangerous to pull into the intersection while waiting. It’s not necessary and it doesn’t save you any time. It also blocks the view of the intersection for on-coming traffic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
View attachment 136992

This is my latest service summary for this issue. I will report back if it has made any difference. I'm just about at 36K, and will keep taking the car back if it persists. I've been assured that it will be covered since the issue arose prior to 36K.
I hope im not jinxing myself! The issue has not come back since the valve adjustment in May or June. Granted we've only driven the car around 1000 miles, it was all in town with stop and start enabled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We’ve been having all of the same issues you all have posted about since about 25K miles on our 2016 Pilot Touring. I do like the vehicle, but I loathe it at the same time because of this huge issue. We have been to the dealer we purchased from countless times. I will say, it seems like they have truly been doing all they could to diagnose and correct the issue...problem is we can NEVER duplicate the problem. We, too, replaced the battery (no longer under warranty at $300), had our start/stop switch replaced, had multiple error codes removed. Nothing provided a permanent fix. Most recently, we received a transmission service problem light, took it to the dealer and the transmission had to be replaced...at 70k miles. Thankfully we purchased extended warranty. I was hopeful this would take care of the auto idle issues, however that wasn’t the case. Happened again today. It’s a huge safety concern, and for the life of me can’t fathom that Honda hasn’t done anything to rectify the problem we are all experiencing. I want to trade it in and be done with it. Problem is we still have 30k miles left on the extended warranty. So frustrating..... Posting to vent my frustration, but also to see if anyone has had any luck correcting the problem. If so, I’d love to hear about it!!

·
Registered
Former 2016 Pilot Elite AWD
13 Posts
I haven’t heard anything yet, unfortunately. Mammalakn provided some hope recently above. We gave our ‘16 Pilot Elite up after a close call shutoff on an overpass in 2019. American Honda and our local dealership feigned ignorance and leaned on that “couldn’t replicate” defense to a problem they were well aware of even at that time. Seems that’s been their strategy for several more years now, trying a few other temporary things like changing batteries on the Elites along the way, only to have it usually shut down again. A real fix or recall would be too costly for them, and could require them to actually admit the problem. (I’m sure someone on this thread will repeat the turn it off/disable it retort.)

If you have not already, please report to NHTSA: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA. I would not expect much out of NHTSA even under a functional administration, but it gets more difficult to deny the product defect and risk involved when it’s documented over several years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I filed a complaint with NHTSA a couple years ago...never heard anything back. I filed a more detailed complaint yesterday, so we'll see. I'm not confident I'll hear back or that I'll get any resolution but nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.

In regards to the "shut it off" response, yes, that eliminates the issue. This is my wife's vehicle, and I've reminded her countless times to "press the button." So much so that my 13 year old is now programmed to remind her. I'd say she remembers about 75% of the time, and each time it shuts off and won't start she leads with "And no, I didn't press the button but I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!" I agree with her, it should work properly and it's beyond irritating that it doesn't.

Since the transmission replacement (less than 1K miles ago), it was working properly until yesterday when it completely shut down again. I have another appointment scheduled for Saturday at the dealership. They want to replace the start/stop switch, again. I will bring up the valve issue and see where that leads.

I would trade in the Pilot if I was confident I wasn't going to run into a similar issue somewhere else. Multiple posts of transmission issues with MDX, Highlander, CX-9 as well. What did you end up with?

·
Registered
Former 2016 Pilot Elite AWD
13 Posts
We sold the Honda back to the dealer and ended up with a used Chevy Tahoe from a different dealership. It wasn’t our ideal outcome at the time, but it met our family’s needs under the circumstances. We wish the Tahoe had better emissions and MPG, but it has been dependable and tows far better.

Absolutely, the 2016-model Pilot idle stop function should work, especially as it was presented by Honda to regulators and consumers as an innovative feature to “enhance efficient operation and save fuel” and “maximize fuel economy.”

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,445 Posts
Amazes me the number of times at a traffic lights, the lights turn green and cars start up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah, pretty amazing alright...until it's not and your wife and kids are stalled out in a busy intersection with other cars buzzing by. But go ahead, keep on being the funny guy.
Jokes/sarcasm aside, everyone for the safety of yourself and your riders, and those on the road...

PLEASE TURN OFF the start/stop switch.

If you’re comfortable with it “on” and can handle the timing of starting up before movement, then by all means continue to do what you do.

It really does scare the $#!+ out of people that are not used to it, and a few have had bad incidents/stalls even near accidents keeping it on.

Always safety first.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,445 Posts
Yeah, pretty amazing alright...until it's not and your wife and kids are stalled out in a busy intersection with other cars buzzing by. But go ahead, keep on being the funny guy.
i’ve rented plenty of cars in England with Stop start. To make it worse many are stick shifts. I’ve stalled them many times in rotaries....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jokes/sarcasm aside, everyone for the safety of yourself and your riders, and those on the road...

PLEASE TURN OFF the start/stop switch.

If you’re comfortable with it “on” and can handle the timing of starting up before movement, then by all means continue to do what you do.

It really does scare the $#!+ out of people that are not used to it, and a few have had bad incidents/stalls even near accidents keeping it on.

Always safety first.
Completely agree with you. That is why I am constantly reminding my wife to turn off the feature. Ultimately it is up to her to remember to press the button, however I do feel there is a major safety concern that needs to be addressed in those instances she forgets and the vehicle decides to shut itself off and not start back up. It has scared the sh*t out of her, AND my kids. Another reason it baffles me that she even forgets to hit the disable button. It's right there...two buttons down from "D"! Don't get me started, that discussion is for another time!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Completely agree with you. That is why I am constantly reminding my wife to turn off the feature. Ultimately it is up to her to remember to press the button, however I do feel there is a major safety concern that needs to be addressed in those instances she forgets and the vehicle decides to shut itself off and not start back up. It has scared the sh*t out of her, AND my kids. Another reason it baffles me that she even forgets to hit the disable button. It's right there...two buttons down from "D"! Don't get me started, that discussion is for another time!
Assuming she backs out of the garage or driveway ... maybe a sign on the rear view mirror, "Turn off idle stop!"

221 - 240 of 280 Posts