Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several times our 2016 Elite has stalled at a stoplight. It takes time to start back up. Dealer said transmission software update may be problem.

Has anyone else heard of this. I know there’s a long thread on transmission problems but I just can’t read the whole thing to see if this is mentioned there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shuts off completely? Or shuts off like Idle Stop, where taking your foot off the brake or tweaking the steering wheel starts it up again? Idle stop takes a fraction of a second to start back up, the same as any other time you start the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have experienced this same problem with my 2016 Honda Pilot Elite. I have 20,000 miles on the vehicle, and about 6 months ago, it would "stall out" at a stop light or stop sign when I was in "auto idle-stop" and pressed on the gas. I first noticed that the auto idle-stop was hesitating when it would start up. I also noticed that the radio would "cut out". After that, the vehicle would just stall out and I would have to push park, put my foot on the brake and then push start. This is very inconvenient when you are at a stop light or getting ready to make a turn and the vehicle just "dies". Took it into the dealership and they said it was a software adjustment. The auto idle-stop worked for a couple of days, then started hesitating and now it intermittently stalls when the gas is pressed. I will take it in again and report the same problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This also happened to my 2016 Honda Pilot Touring. It happened a few times last year where the car stalled out at a red light while using the auto stop-start just like the initial poster and kpsmith999. It would happen occasionally when I took my foot off the brake and nothing would happen when I put my foot on the gas. Instead of the engine starting up again, the car would stall completely and I would have to put the car in park, press the brake pedal and push the start button to get it on again. I took the car into the dealer and they gave me the same thing about a software issue. They had to reboot the software. Didn't happen again for a while until just last week happened again at a red light with the car stalling and had to do the same thing to get it to restart. Took it into the car dealership in MD last week and they couldn't find anything wrong with the car or the software so they sent me on my way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Our 2016 Elite with 39,000 miles has been doing the same thing. Have to put it in park and start the car. I will be taking it to Anderson Honda in Hunt Valley to take a look. They have always been good.

·
Super Moderator
15,153 Posts
One thought on the 2016. The battery is likely getting close to or over three years old which is the known safe life span for factory batteries.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Please give an update after you take it to Anderson Honda in Hunt Valley. I've gone to Hersons Honda in Rockville when this happened to my car. As for the battery, they tested battery as part of their review and the report they gave me said battery was fine. They haven't mentioned anything about the battery being a cause of this problem, but will definitely mention it to them if it happens again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is the most annoying feature ever. It drives me crazy. At least 30% of the time that my 2016 Touring won't restart after an idle stop. And of course the dealership didn't find anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 2016 Elite and it does the same thing.. I turn off the Idle Stop when I can remember to.. I mostly freeway drive.

It's annoying and it has done this off and on over 2 years.. I don't think it's a battery issue.. I do think it's a software issue. The car thinks it's started up when it hasn't, so it disengages the starter, etc....

I suspect they will have a software fix as more people have this problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I looked back at my invoice from Honda when I took the car in October 2017 and here is what it said:

Cause - PCM Software Update
Correction - Retrieve and Clear DTC P2638 (Torque Management Feedback Signal A Range/Performance) and Update both the PCM and the TCM Software. S/B 16-008

It has happened twice again since I took the car in recently.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Our 2016 Elite with 39,000 miles has been doing the same thing. Have to put it in park and start the car. I will be taking it to Anderson Honda in Hunt Valley to take a look. They have always been good.
Any update from Anderson Honda in Hunt Valley? I will be taking my 2016 Pilot into the dealer again this week for this issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry, when I took it in for my last service I needed the car back sooner so I didn't have them check it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry, when I took it in for my last service I needed the car back sooner so I didn't have them check it
Any update from Anderson Honda in Hunt Valley? I will be taking my 2016 Pilot into the dealer again this week for this issue.
No problem. Thanks. If anyone else has taken their car in for this issue, please post an update with the response from the dealer. If they did any software updates, please post the specific software codes or other corrections they made to resolve the issue and whether it worked.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Took the 2016 Pilot into Hersons Honda in Rockville today. In addition to idle stop start problem, the "Emissions System Problem" light came on Sunday. It went away Tuesday night before I brought the car in this morning. Hersons said they checked the car and there were no software updates so they called Honda support since the car has all the latest updates and still having issues. Honda said to replace the fuel injectors. Hersons is not sure if that is related to the idle stop start problem, but think it might fix the emissions system problem issue and by relation the idle stop start problem. The fuel injector replacement is a full day job that they will do tomorrow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Took the 2016 Pilot into Hersons Honda in Rockville today. In addition to idle stop start problem, the "Emissions System Problem" light came on Sunday. It went away Tuesday night before I brought the car in this morning. Hersons said they checked the car and there were no software updates so they called Honda support since the car has all the latest updates and still having issues. Honda said to replace the fuel injectors. Hersons is not sure if that is related to the idle stop start problem, but think it might fix the emissions system problem issue and by relation the idle stop start problem. The fuel injector replacement is a full day job that they will do tomorrow.
I had the fuel injection system replaced on ours as well after an emission light came on about a year ago. Since our stalling issue occurred a few months ago, replacing the fuel injectors did not prevent it from happening.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It’s been happening more frequently lately and we have left the pilot again at the dealership to see if they can reproduce it and we have a loaner car in the meantime.
Those of you who have experienced this have you manually disabled the auto start stop to see if that prevents this from happening?

·
Registered
44 Posts
It’s been happening more frequently lately and we have left the pilot again at the dealership to see if they can reproduce it and we have a loaner car in the meantime.
Those of you who have experienced this have you manually disabled the auto start stop to see if that prevents this from happening?

Are you saying you have manually turned off the auto start stop and the car has still stalled at a red light? I have turned it off sometimes when I remember to, but you have to do it each time you get into the car. I don't think you can permanently disable it. The car has never stalled when I have manually disabled the auto start stop. Not that this is what you were advocating for, but I just don't think having to manually disable it every time is an acceptable solution or one that we should have to live with. If they made a car with this feature, it should work without stalling or they should fix it. Otherwise we are not getting the full benefit of what we paid for when we purchased the car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you saying you have manually turned off the auto start stop and the car has still stalled at a red light? I have turned it off sometimes when I remember to, but you have to do it each time you get into the car. I don't think you can permanently disable it. The car has never stalled when I have manually disabled the auto start stop. Not that this is what you were advocating for, but I just don't think having to manually disable it every time is an acceptable solution or one that we should have to live with. If they made a car with this feature, it should work without stalling or they should fix it. Otherwise we are not getting the full benefit of what we paid for when we purchased the car.

No we have not disabled the start stop. If they can’t fix this I’m going to try manually disabling it on every drive and see if the problem doesn’t rear its head

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the fuel injection system replaced on ours as well after an emission light came on about a year ago. Since our stalling issue occurred a few months ago, replacing the fuel injectors did not prevent it from happening.
Yeah, the dealer said that they don't see how the fuel injector replacement has anything to do with the stalling problem so they don't expect it will fix it. They are still unable to find anything else with regard to the stalling issue so our only option appears to be calling Honda customer service to open a ticket since dealer has not been able to resolve the issue. Has anyone else tried calling Honda customer service?

·
Registered
44 Posts
So Honda customer service is a complete waste of time so far. The case manager said because the dealer is unable to replicate the issue, they advised that the next time the car stalls we should not attempt to restart the car but should instead call Honda roadside assistance and have the car towed to the dealer so the dealer can examine the car in that exact state where it has stalled. The case manager said we should pull over to the side of the road but we tried to explain that we can't pull over because the car has stalled. So she just said we should call roadside assistance.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts