Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Honda Pilot. The flexible connector on the exhaust system is going bad and the flange behind the catalytic converter to the pipe that goes to the muffler is rusted out and ready to break at the flange.

I would like to cut the exhaust line just before the catalytic converter and then just behind the above mentioned flange and splice in approximately 30-inches of a flex line. My big question is what to do with the sensor in the catalytic converter ? If I just snip the lines, I'm betting I'll get a error code and be messing with the computer for fuel mix / emissions and possibly have the thing run poorly. I have it registered in a County in WI where we do not have any emission testing. Any thoughts on what I should do ? I bought this vehicle for $600 with 205,000 miles on it... and now have approximately 265,000. It is just a commuter car for me and I don't want to have to dump a bunch of money into it.....
Thoughts ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sounds like the cat itself is in good shape, and your issue is with the exhaust pipes just before and after. Well, if you cut out the cat, you will remove the oxygen sensor too, and this will put the engine control computer in a permanent state of open loop. The computer is no longer getting feedback from the sensor. Without feedback information, the computer will run the engine with preset default fixed air/fuel parameters that don't necessarily reflect what the engine needs to run with power and efficiency. In fact, without a functioning oxygen sensor, you might be running in startup (rich) mode all the time. Black exhaust and lousy gas mileage? Plus, the check engine light will never go out.

I would suggest that you find a local shop to fix up the exhaust pipes and run the Pilot with a functioning engine computer system. Hey, you are in Wisconsin--surely there is some Jackpine Savage nearby who knows how to weld up a couple of exhaust pipes out of pieces of scrap watermain! You are lucky if the cat is still good, because that's where the big money in replacement comes in. Patch up the other pipes, and enjoy the benefits of computer engine control.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts