Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pilot has Hill Start Assist, so it should already have all the necessary hardware for electronic parking brake. Why did Honda still choose traditional foot operated parking brake?

·
Registered
51 Posts
That’s something I wondered about myself.

My guess is that hill-start uses the primary braking system, while the parking break is your traditional independent e-break system.

And as a side note, hill start assist is not as helpful with an automatic as with a manual. The one the Pilot is configured with seems kind of weak too, on steep San Francisco streets it wasn’t enough to hold the vehicle. I almost bumped into the car behind me trying it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,534 Posts
I'm not sure I would call the "hills of San Francisco" hills. Short steep cliffs maybe, but not hills.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Pilot has Hill Start Assist, so it should already have all the necessary hardware for electronic parking brake. Why did Honda still choose traditional foot operated parking brake?
Don't know, but glad they did. After having 2 Audis & an Odyssey with the EPB, I'll take the foot operated one any day.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
46 Posts
Why? Not enough braking force? Or, electronic components go bad easily?
I wonder the same thing, I haven't had any car with EPB but I assume once you go reverse or drive the EPB automatically turns off since it's electronically triggered. Foot breaks can easily be forgotten especially when it's not stepped in hard.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,534 Posts
Why? Not enough braking force? Or, electronic components go bad easily?
Have you ever tried to get the ZF9 Transmission into neutral with a dead electrical system. You can, with one of these little babies. $150-$200, Doesn't come with the vehicle.

Dead electrical. Locked electrical brake. Haven't found a Honda tool for that yet and I hate flattening a spot on the tires to drag it onto a wrecker.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wonder the same thing, I haven't had any car with EPB but I assume once you go reverse or drive the EPB automatically turns off since it's electronically triggered. Foot breaks can easily be forgotten especially when it's not stepped in hard.
None of the three vehicles that I had would release the EPB when selecting D or R. PITA doing rear brake pads!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm guessing if they did an electric one there would be nothing to hit you in the left shin when you use the dead pedal lol

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts