Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The power line to my starter broke off but still worked if i held it on the solenoid while someone else turned ignition. One of the times I did it and it sparked a knocked out the radio, power windows, and all items of speedometer dash except the backlight. I bought new starter and installed but no crank...read i could have blown the starter switch so i replaced that and still nothing. Already had new altenator and new battery so im running out of ideas...not to mention im really not mechanically iclined all that much and I live hour and a half from nearest mechanic. Any ideas? Maybe starter relay? That spark had to blow something. Fuses are all good though so what am i missing?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,856 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I’m going to ask a bunch of questions to better understand the problem.

1) Does the starter crank with the key in the crank position? If no you may have blown the starter relay.
2) Did you measure fuses with a multimeter? If no, this method is better than using your eyeballs.
3) Did you check all fuses? I believe there are two fuse boxes in the engine compartment and two in the cabin.
4) If the cable on the starter broke (corroded I’m guessing) then you should inspect battery positive, battery negative, and the cables between engine/transmission to chassis. Take a good look at the ground cable below the starter as that is prone to corrosion.

Give us answers to these questions, and hopefully the good folks on this forum will help you get back up and running.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I just re-read your post and you said no crank. I’d focus on the starter relay and its fuse. Still check the conditions on the cables if you live where the roads are salted.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
If your ground straps are in bad shape, Wal-Mart has some inexpensive alternatives. Clean the contact points.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,310 Posts
And the cable diagram can lessen some guesswork.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
The power line to my starter broke off but still worked if i held it on the solenoid while someone else turned ignition. One of the times I did it and it sparked a knocked out the radio, power windows, and all items of speedometer dash except the backlight. I bought new starter and installed but no crank...read i could have blown the starter switch so i replaced that and still nothing. Already had new altenator and new battery so im running out of ideas...not to mention im really not mechanically iclined all that much and I live hour and a half from nearest mechanic. Any ideas? Maybe starter relay? That spark had to blow something. Fuses are all good though so what am i missing?
Sounds like that spark blew a fuse or two. I would start at the fuse box if you haven't already after you replaced the cable.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
So what’s the verdict? Is the Pilot back up and running?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts