Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are close to pulling the trigger on a 2020 Honda Pilot, but we are reading more and more about the popping/cracking speaker sounds, infotainment issues (blacked out backup camera), and continuous instrumental shut downs. Basically a lot of electrical issues.

My question is, are these issues affecting every 2019/2020 Honda Pilot? I don’t want to drop $35K on vehicle which is only going to cause me problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are close to pulling the trigger on a 2020 Honda Pilot, but we are reading more and more about the popping/cracking speaker sounds, infotainment issues (blacked out backup camera), and continuous instrumental shut downs. Basically a lot of electrical issues.

My question is, are these issues affecting every 2019/2020 Honda Pilot? I don’t want to drop $35K on vehicle which is only going to cause me problems.
I have a 2020 Touring and the only thing I’m getting is the infotainment/Console shut down. Happens once every few days now. Recent software update did not appear to address the issue. Will be taking it into the shop to talk to them. I had also considered the Telluride but didn’t want to pay above sticker to get it.... $3k to $5k reportedly only most of the places I’d checked. The one dealership that didn’t have an up charge was 6 months behind on orders and you didn’t get a choice of colors or trim.

The Honda dealership made me a deal I couldn’t refuse on the Touring. I can live with the minor screen shut down until they fix the issue. No popping or crackling to date. 8k on on odometer now probably 8600 by tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just had our 2020 Touring popping noise repaired under TSB 20-058
That’s great news. I see your approximately 2 days out after your repair. Hopefully it stays well.

My initial question was is this issue affecting everyone? Is anyone not affected? Or am I safe to assume if I buy this vehicle I definitely will have the issue.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
87 Posts
I experienced this on my 2020 BE @ 3500 miles, took it to the dealership and they repaired it but not by the latest TSB and recall. So far the issue has not come back and I'm enjoying every bit of the vehicle. I'll bring it back to the dealership on the first oil change and will have them do the latest TSB and software/map updates. I'm pretty sure they'll fix the vehicle per the latest TSB before they sell it to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. We purchased a new 2020 AWD Pilot Touring in December of last year. Intermittent popping began at approximately 1,000 miles. It became CONSTANT over time & the infotainment screen/backup cam went completely out a few days ago at 3,500 miles. That finally prompted my taking it in given there were also 2 other recalls to be remedied. I had been just dealing with it given the while covid situation. They performed the same TSB 20-058 fix that RitcheyRch references. I picked it up yesterday, so we'll see. So far, so good. We've been Honda owners for decades but if I had it to do over again, I would NOT have purchased this vehicle had I known of this ongoing issue. In my experience, a vehicle just never quite performs the same once tinkering under the hood or in the dash begins.. one issue seems to snowball into a new one. I'm quite disappointed in Honda for continuing to roll these out with this known issue that's apparently been going on for YEARS and has had no permanent fix.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've only had my 2020 Touring for a few weeks, but no issues yet. It was built in March. I keep hoping they had this all sorted out by then, but I doubt it.

I'm quite disappointed in Honda for continuing to roll these out with this known issue that's apparently been going on for YEARS and has had no permanent fix.
This exactly. It's a little ridiculous to keep using parts you know are going to result in issues year after year for 5 model years (and counting).

·
Registered
47 Posts
So far so good and we are surely hoping it stays that way. Will drive more over the weekend and report back. Wife is happy that the interior is now whisper quiet. The popping sound was a rather large annoyance.

That’s great news. I see your approximately 2 days out after your repair. Hopefully it stays well.

My initial question was is this issue affecting everyone? Is anyone not affected? Or am I safe to assume if I buy this vehicle I definitely will have the issue.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The LX trim with the 5” Color Audio system does not have the problem. EX and EX-Ls w/o RES seem less prone. According to this forum, most problems are occurring on Touring, Elites and BEs. Hard to tell how many vehicles are impacted but it’s not 100%. It’s also an issue on Odys and PPs. My 2019 EX-L w/o RES has been trouble free.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I'm awaiting the parts for the 20-058 TSB to have mine repaired.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The LX trim with the 5” Color Audio system does not have the problem. EX and EX-Ls w/o RES seem less prone. According to this forum, most problems are occurring on Touring, Elites and BEs. Hard to tell how many vehicles are impacted but it’s not 100%. It’s also an issue on Odys and PPs. My 2019 EX-L w/o RES has been trouble free.
Comfort to hear that EX-L w/o RES is behaving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everyone,

my wife and I have also thrown on the brakes while looking at the 2019 EX-L. We just got rid of a F150 with an issue that could not be worked out. The speedometer going out is a deal breaker, but it doesn’t seem to be everyone. Also the new TSB just came out so we do not know if we have had enough time to see if it works. Just do not know what to do. Pilot is the size we want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So far so good and we are surely hoping it stays that way. Will drive more over the weekend and report back. Wife is happy that the interior is now whisper quiet. The popping sound was a rather large annoyance.
Hi! I went to search this forum because I am having a similar issue. I have a 2020 EX with 2000 miles. The cracking/popping noise is awful. I don't even want to drive the car. Can you tell me more about what you were experiencing and what the dealer did to fix it? I can't even tell where the sound is coming from. Sometimes I think it's the speakers. Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the dash. It's terrible and I have to try to explain to the dealer what I am hearing. I'm worried the sound won't happen when I bring it in and I want to be prepared to insist the dealer fix this. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi! Another user explains the most current fix (Honda's Technical Service Bulletin 20-058) nicely. It's what was also done to my 2020 Touring last week. The popping came from the speakers regardless of whether the infotainment was on or off. It was absolutely unbearable to drive at all because it became CONSTANT. I would suggest recording footage on your phone to show the dealer & a quick Google search will give lots of other's video, as well. I'm not quite sure how to reference his response, so I will cut/paste:
Cbayman
·
Registered
Joined 12 mo ago
·
132 Posts
#9 7 d ago
Anecdotally, it seems Touring and Elites trims are experiencing more issues. The cause is intermittent network connections. Sometimes this causes popping or crackling audio and sometimes the displays lock up or go blank. The EX and EX-L (w/o RES) trims have 2 devices, the Infotainment and Gauge cluster, on the network. The upper trims have more devices on the network requiring more connectors so it makes sense upper trims are more prone to the issue. Having said that, there is at least one forum member that had a problem on his EX-L. My 2019 EX-L has not had any issues. I don’t have the data that says how many vehicles have had issues but I suspect it’s less than 10%. As referenced above, Honda has released 2 software updates and a hardware update to address the problem. Previous TSBs have directed techs to re-route cables to reduce stress on the connectors. TSB 20-058 attempts to resolve the intermittent connection issues by making the connectors more robust and adding service loops to relieve cable stress.

2019 Pilot EX-L AWD

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi! Another user explains the most current fix (Honda's Technical Service Bulletin 20-058) nicely. It's what was also done to my 2020 Touring last week. The popping came from the speakers regardless of whether the infotainment was on or off. It was absolutely unbearable to drive at all because it became CONSTANT. I would suggest recording footage on your phone to show the dealer & a quick Google search will give lots of other's video, as well. I'm not quite sure how to reference his response, so I will cut/paste:
Cbayman
·
Registered
Joined 12 mo ago
·
132 Posts
#9 7 d ago
Anecdotally, it seems Touring and Elites trims are experiencing more issues. The cause is intermittent network connections. Sometimes this causes popping or crackling audio and sometimes the displays lock up or go blank. The EX and EX-L (w/o RES) trims have 2 devices, the Infotainment and Gauge cluster, on the network. The upper trims have more devices on the network requiring more connectors so it makes sense upper trims are more prone to the issue. Having said that, there is at least one forum member that had a problem on his EX-L. My 2019 EX-L has not had any issues. I don’t have the data that says how many vehicles have had issues but I suspect it’s less than 10%. As referenced above, Honda has released 2 software updates and a hardware update to address the problem. Previous TSBs have directed techs to re-route cables to reduce stress on the connectors. TSB 20-058 attempts to resolve the intermittent connection issues by making the connectors more robust and adding service loops to relieve cable stress.

2019 Pilot EX-L AWD
Thanks. My 2020 Touring went into the shop Monday for fixes to infotainment. They said they didn’t have a recall yet on the 2020 but since they would be working on the gauge cluster, they were going to go ahead and replace the connectors on the infotainment system at the same time. My infotainment went black and wouldn’t come back on Saturday. They called and said it would be ready later this afternoon, but I’m out of town till Friday so I will pick up Friday morning.

No cracking or popping experienced but with their fix this week, hopefully will never know that particular inconvenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have a 2019 Touring with about 26k miles that will be 2 years old next month. We occasionally hear a "pop" from the speakers when the doors automatically lock when starting to drive, but that's it. Has not been bothersome. Otherwise system has worked very well. I just installed the new OTA software update Honda released this month to fix/improve various infotainment system issues, including supposedly the "pop". I have not noticed the noise since but have not driven the car enough yet to say for sure the issue has been completely eliminated. I do appreciate that Honda seems to issue regular system software updates and they are pretty simple to install yourself if you have your car connected to your home WiFi.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a '19 Canadian Touring, its the same as the US Elite model. Zero electrical or infotainment (or other) issues. Bought last October, about 9500km's on it now.

So to answer the OP's question, NO, these issues do not affect ALL 19's and 20's. Although I did get the recall notification, and will get the updates done next service appointment out of caution.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 52 Posts