Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have new 2019 Pilot. Recent trip with kayak on top went to open tailgate. It went up and I could not stop it before it hit bottom of boat and cracked brake light on top of tailgate. Button on bottom of tailgate would have stopped it from going up but it was dark I did not get to it fast enough. Fixing broken light was expensive. In my opinion this design is a safety hazard as well major inconvenience.
There needs to be a manual latch to open tailgate without powering it all the way. I hope Honda is reading

·
Administrator
15,585 Posts
Move to Pilot section.

Sorry I can't help answer your question.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you press the outer handle of the tailgate for no longer than one second, the tailgate opens automatically.
The beeper sounds.
If you want to open the tailgate manually, press the button for more than one second.
See Opening and Closing the Tailgate P. 153 Owners manual

If you are carrying the smart entry remote, you do not have to unlock the tailgate before opening it.

To close the tailgate, press the outer handle again while the tailgate opening.

If you press the outer handle again while the power tailgate is moving, it will stop.

Press the outer handle, and the power tailgate will reverse direction.

NOTE: The inner close button also works the same. You can press it anytime to stop the movement.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think it has been pointed out in other threads that if you hold the open button for a couple seconds rather than just a quick press, it puts the tailgate in manual mode and you can open it as far as you want. (At least on our 2016)

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have new 2019 Pilot. Recent trip with kayak on top went to open tailgate. It went up and I could not stop it before it hit bottom of boat and cracked brake light on top of tailgate. Button on bottom of tailgate would have stopped it from going up but it was dark I did not get to it fast enough. Fixing broken light was expensive. In my opinion this design is a safety hazard as well major inconvenience.
There needs to be a manual latch to open tailgate without powering it all the way. I hope Honda is reading
You can also change it to the manual setting by using your touchscreen, its buried in a sub menu. It still will open on its own with the FOB and inside release button, but when you open it with the outside latch, it is always manual. I found out the hard way the first night I owned my 18, I hit the button and ran the hatch into the top of garage door and put a little scratch in the tailgate.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. That works. I wish it had been more obvious before I crunched the brake light on my boat.
Good to see that Honda actually addressed the feature in the design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts