Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: Just purchased a pilot March 25th. I had the tow package installed, but I also need to install an electric brake control. I just tow a medium Pop-up, but it has electric brakes as a safety feature. Can anyone help with input on installation/wiring? I don't want to endanger the warranty by doing anything that voids it. I can find the power connection in the fuse box, but I need to know where to connect the controller to the switched side of the brake wiring. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Brakes are way to important to fool around with if you do not know what you are doing?

I would get power from the battery as I understand electric brakes can pull some current, and I would hate to see them loose power due to a minor problem blowing the fuse you stole power from.
As for the brake switch, I would look at the top of the prake peddle arm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Brake controller install

Buy a quality controller and follow the installation instructions that come with it. You will power and ground the unit directly from the battery, with the hot side going through a resettable circuit breaker that you will install under the hood. You can get the needed brake switch impulse with a scotchlock just downstream from the brake light switch. It's not a hard project if you don't mind crawling around under the vehicle and can do simple wiring. I got a good price on a new Tekonsha Sentinel controller from a guy on eBay and it works fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last time I checked the wiring to the brake switch, I found 4 wires. Instructions for the installation of a brake controller call for a tap to the cold side of the switch. Can anyone remember the color code and size of the wire that needs to be tapped to save me the hassle of tracing the wiring?

Also, is the an easy way to penetrate the firewall to get access to the battery?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I poked through a rubber seal for the wiring to the running boards.

That looks slick. I will give it a try, thanks.

I have also found a reference in one of the messages posted earlier regarding the color code of the cold side of the brake switch wiring. Appears that its a WHT/BLK wire. Not sure of the wire size. Controller spec calls for a min of 14 GA. Whatever is there, will have to suffice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts