Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

EGR Valve: Clean or Replace?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EGR Valve: Clean or Replace?

Vote in the poll and post your perceived pros and cons.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Don't be cheap. Replace.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
I'd just remove it, toss it in the dish washer with some Dawn dish washing soap and then put er back on. I mean, Dawn dish washing soap is good for oil covered wild life, just ask Exxon, so what could it hurt?

Then after you have done that, go out and buy a new ERG valve, install it and keep on truckin....

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I'd just remove it, toss it in the dish washer with some Dawn dish washing soap and then put er back on. I mean, Dawn dish washing soap is good for oil covered wild life, just ask Exxon, so what could it hurt?

Then after you have done that, go out and buy a new ERG valve, install it and keep on truckin....
View attachment 137810
FOG (Fats Oils and Grease) are hell on septic systems and wasterwater treatment plants. I have old microfiber towels I use for parts cleanup and I put them in the "oil rags and containers" trash can where I dump used oil. I wouldn't put anything down your drain that the system you are using wasn't designed to ingest.

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
FOG (Fats Oils and Grease) are hell on septic systems and wasterwater treatment plants. I have old microfiber towels I use for parts cleanup and I put them in the "oil rags and containers" trash can where I dump used oil. I wouldn't put anything down your drain that the system you are using wasn't designed to ingest.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
El Cheapo says..,
If you think you got a problem, clean it. No need to chunk a perfectly good EGR valve.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Can't say I do... this was common practice on some of the other forums I've been on for parts cleaning and I cringed every time I would read about it.

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
In 50 + years of working on and repairing cars, truck, tractors, combines as well as various other pieces of machinery I have never once in my life EVER considered putting a part in the dish washer to clean it, and I have cleaned a literal ton of parts in my life.

The idea of putting a vehicle part of any kind in a dish washer to clean it is on par to washing you dishes in the toilet. Neither of which is something any right thinking individual would ever consider doing.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
In 50 + years of working on and repairing cars, truck, tractors, combines as well as various other pieces of machinery I have never once in my life EVER considered putting a part in the dish washer to clean it, and I have cleaned a literal ton of parts in my life.

The idea of putting a vehicle part of any kind in a dish washer to clean it is on par to washing you dishes in the toilet. Neither of which is something any right thinking individual would ever consider doing.
That's why I use the clothes washer for my car parts. And if you're impatient, you can throw them in the dryer afterwards. Just be sure you remove any wires, screws, or bolts that might come loose in the wash.

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
That's why I use the clothes washer for my car parts. And if you're impatient, you can throw them in the dryer afterwards. Just be sure you remove any wires, screws, or bolts that might come loose in the wash.
I do believe that you have hit upon the reason that Nail Grease's bvd's look lke they do from the photos he has posted of them. He has been washing them and various car parts at the same time. :D

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
I do believe that you have hit upon the reason that Nail Grease's bvd's look lke they do from the photos he has posted of them. He has been washing them and various car parts at the same time. :D
I forgot to mention that. It's definitely helps to put all your oily rags in the washer with the parts to help cut down the clunking noise. Just don't add too much detergent or you'll end up looking like that time Bobby Brady put too much soap in the washing machine.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
El Cheapo says..,
If you think you got a problem, clean it. No need to chunk a perfectly good EGR valve.
What's your (non-sarcastic) preferred method of cleaning?

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
For me it's CRC , Krud Cutter and CRC again. Electronics with the 1st CRC, larger parts and parts easily accessed with the Krud Cutter Concentrate and smaller parts with difficult access with the 2n CRC. Tub and brushes mostly.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I tell you what, it was no fun changing out the B2 S2 on the old Crosstour today (P0159). It was a scorcher. Soaked through and through.
I may have one or two pair I wear with holes, but not dirty. I do my laundry once a month.., when I take a shower. If there were auto parts in my laundry, it's cuz I accidentally left them in my pocket. A bolt, nut, etc is common.
Never buy a Bosch O2 sensor. Only lasted 60k.

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
I tell you what, it was no fun changing out the B2 S2 on the old Crosstour today (P0159). It was a scorcher. Soaked through and through.
I may have one or two pair I wear with holes, but not dirty. I do my laundry once a month.., when I take a shower. If there were auto parts in my laundry, it's cuz I accidentally left them in my pocket. A bolt, nut, etc is common.
Never buy a Bosch O2 sensor. Only lasted 60k.
With that explanation why does this come to mind? 😀

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
El Cheapo says..,
Changed my mind.
If it's old, replace it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts