Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I ran into a stuttering/shaking idle yesterday in my 07 Pilot. After 30 minutes of reading, I suspected the EGR valve. It took a few tries to get the car to start, but eventually, it did. On the way home the check engine light came on and I was able to see a P0404 "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" code which confirmed my suspicion. I bought a $3 EGR gasket from O'Reilly's and followed YouTube videos for the removal and cleaning process. I was able to confirm the problem has been resolved. Pretty cheap and satisfying job!

Now, I'm wondering if I should do anything else at the same time. I see some people cleaning the intake manifold at the same time. I got a little confused if this is true for all 1st gens. Maybe someone can advise me on that.

Also, I'm a little confused about torque settings. I've got a Haynes manual and it has very incomplete torque settings. How do you all figure them out? For example, the youtube video I watched on cleaning the EGR valve said to used 16 ft pounds for the 2 bolts. I don't see that anywhere in my Haynes manual though.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Hey, I ran into a stuttering/shaking idle yesterday in my 07 Pilot. After 30 minutes of reading, I suspected the EGR valve. It took a few tries to get the car to start, but eventually, it did. On the way home the check engine light came on and I was able to see a P0404 "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" code which confirmed my suspicion. I bought a $3 EGR gasket from O'Reilly's and followed YouTube videos for the removal and cleaning process. I was able to confirm the problem has been resolved. Pretty cheap and satisfying job!

Now, I'm wondering if I should do anything else at the same time. I see some people cleaning the intake manifold at the same time. I got a little confused if this is true for all 1st gens
The two EGR bolts are tightened to 16 ft-lb by the FSM. There are additional channels that are recommended to be cleaned/inspected but if you think the Pilot is running well and the PO404 remains clear then you're GTG

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,835 Posts
Did you replace the EGR valve’s gasket? Mine crumbled apart when I separated the valve from the engine block.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
Yes, clean the ERG ports and passages as well.

Very cheap and very satisfying job. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
After struggling to clean the "ant farm" section of the ERG system in the plenum cover, I sprayed it with easy off oven cleaner and that did the trick. The damn ports in the plenum were nearly blocked as well and I cleaned them using a .35 caliber bore brush. Boy I had a lot of crap in there at 250K mi despite changing with synthetic oil every 5K

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts