Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I ran into a stuttering/shaking idle yesterday in my 07 Pilot. After 30 minutes of reading, I suspected the EGR valve. It took a few tries to get the car to start, but eventually, it did. On the way home the check engine light came on and I was able to see a P0404 "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" code which confirmed my suspicion. I bought a $3 EGR gasket from O'Reilly's and followed YouTube videos for the removal and cleaning process. I was able to confirm the problem has been resolved. Pretty cheap and satisfying job!

Now, I'm wondering if I should do anything else at the same time. I see some people cleaning the intake manifold at the same time. I got a little confused if this is true for all 1st gens. Maybe someone can advise me on that.

Also, I'm a little confused about torque settings. I've got a Haynes manual and it has very incomplete torque settings. How do you all figure them out? For example, the youtube video I watched on cleaning the EGR valve said to used 16 ft pounds for the 2 bolts. I don't see that anywhere in my Haynes manual though.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,081 Posts
Hey, I ran into a stuttering/shaking idle yesterday in my 07 Pilot. After 30 minutes of reading, I suspected the EGR valve. It took a few tries to get the car to start, but eventually, it did. On the way home the check engine light came on and I was able to see a P0404 "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" code which confirmed my suspicion. I bought a $3 EGR gasket from O'Reilly's and followed YouTube videos for the removal and cleaning process. I was able to confirm the problem has been resolved. Pretty cheap and satisfying job!

Now, I'm wondering if I should do anything else at the same time. I see some people cleaning the intake manifold at the same time. I got a little confused if this is true for all 1st gens
The two EGR bolts are tightened to 16 ft-lb by the FSM. There are additional channels that are recommended to be cleaned/inspected but if you think the Pilot is running well and the PO404 remains clear then you're GTG

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,564 Posts
Did you replace the EGR valve’s gasket? Mine crumbled apart when I separated the valve from the engine block.

·
Registered
11,250 Posts
Yes, clean the ERG ports and passages as well.

Very cheap and very satisfying job. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
After struggling to clean the "ant farm" section of the ERG system in the plenum cover, I sprayed it with easy off oven cleaner and that did the trick. The damn ports in the plenum were nearly blocked as well and I cleaned them using a .35 caliber bore brush. Boy I had a lot of crap in there at 250K mi despite changing with synthetic oil every 5K

·
Registered
11,250 Posts

·
Registered
11,250 Posts
Does this help? I got from the 2006 Service Manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,819 Posts
If the EGR passages look as bad as inbthe video, I'd replace (not clean) the EGR valve. I like saving $, but the EGR valve is 14+ years old.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you replace the EGR valve’s gasket? Mine crumbled apart when I separated the valve from the engine block.
Sorry, I just got an email alert for this thread. For some reason, they weren't coming through before so I missed this. Yea, I replaced the gasket. Thankfully it was cheap and readily available at my local parts store. Mine didn't crumble, but it was fairly stuck on and broke apart into sections.

·
Registered
Honda Pilot 2005 : now 280K (bought at 250k, at 237k new engine swap with used one of 82k)
58 Posts
Sorry, I just got an email alert for this thread. For some reason, they weren't coming through before so I missed this. Yea, I replaced the gasket. Thankfully it was cheap and readily available at my local parts store. Mine didn't crumble, but it was fairly stuck on and broke apart into sections.
Thank you! I was wondering about the same thing!

·
Registered
Honda Pilot 2005 : now 280K (bought at 250k, at 237k new engine swap with used one of 82k)
58 Posts
I am now looking at my intake manifold to clean it. Check out the pics. I don't see any (or maybe 1 big) passages...(the one in the video above is a 2004 pilot) I have a 2005 pilot and the engine was replaced by the previous owner at 237k (with one of 82k) because he did not change the timing bell. Anyway... It does not look too bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
I am now looking at my intake manifold to clean it. Check out the pics. I don't see any (or maybe 1 big) passages...(the one in the video above is a 2004 pilot) I have a 2005 pilot and the engine was replaced by the previous owner at 180k (with one of 80k) because he did not change the timing bell. Anyway... It does not look too bad.
Looks great. The 05 has a different plenum than the 03,04. Obviously an improvement.

·
Registered
Miss our 2005 Pilot
4,564 Posts
Yup, that looks nice and clean.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,250 Posts
I've eaten lunch off of dirtier than that.

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
Reactions: fivermillions
1 - 19 of 19 Posts