Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reduce Your Cars Fuel Consumption By Up To 25% (ordereffuel.com)

OK, first off, this is not my first barbeque in the wild and wooly world of too-good-to-be-true advertising ... BUT, I didn't delete the ad in my email inbox quick enough before I saw that this gizmo plugs into the OBDII port. So, disregarding the claims ... it did pique my curiosity since they are claiming remapping ... well, the ECU.

In their pitch, they claim it has been featured in Car & Driver, WIRED, and Popular Mechanics ... I don't read any of those, have any of you seen this featured in any of those pubs?

Now here's the amazing part ... I did the usual search anyone born before yesterday would do .... "Hey Siri search on Effuel reviews scam rip off complaints BBB" So I get plenty of results. But the more of them I read, the more obvious it becomes that they had bought at least the top three pages on Google under various semi-convincing domain names such as "APNews.com, Reddit.com, etc." which I always check to make sure where the info is coming from.

I notice effuel.com is not a secure site and my AV won't even allow me to go there. But ordereffuel does work. But even though some of the pages are bannered "Effuel Scam Stay Away!" within a few paragraphs they all turn into ads for the product complete with links to buy it. I wonder what they paid Google for this? So how many should we get? Raise your hand if you need a new engine or transmission. Would make a fun class action. They must have money to afford all this false advertising. If nothing else, I see an interesting reverse engineering project to come up with a nifty VCM killer.

I'm tempted to open a one time use credit card and order one and see what it does, then telling them they owe me a new engine after it burned mine up running it too lean.

This is one of the disguised articles that's really an ad. Notice "Marketing by Kevin" Kevin who? I need a full name to sue! Also this ... "Press release content from NewMediaWire. The AP news staff was not involved in its creation."

Effuel Scam Reviews - Gas Saving Chip for Fuel Optimization? (apnews.com)

Registered
OK, first off, this is not my first barbeque in the wild and wooly world of too-good-to-be-true advertising ... BUT, I didn't delete the ad in my email inbox quick enough before I saw that this gizmo plugs into the OBDII port. So, disregarding the claims ... it did pique my curiosity since they are claiming remapping ... well, the ECU.

In their pitch, they claim it has been featured in Car & Driver, WIRED, and Popular Mechanics ... I don't read any of those, have any of you seen this featured in any of those pubs?

Now here's the amazing part ... I did the usual search anyone born before yesterday would do .... "Hey Siri search on Effuel reviews scam rip off complaints BBB" So I get plenty of results. But the more of them I read, the more obvious it becomes that they had bought at least the top three pages on Google under various semi-convincing domain names such as "APNews.com, Reddit.com, etc." which I always check to make sure where the info coming form. I notice effuel.com is not a secure site and my AV won't even to there. But ordereffuet does.But even though some of the pages are bannered "Effuel Scam Stay Away!" within a few paragraphs they all turn into ads for the product complete with links to buy it. I wonder what they paid Google for this? So how many should we get? Raise your hand if you need a new engine or transmission. They must have money to afford all this false advertising.
Reduce Your Cars Fuel Consumption By Up To 25% (ordereffuel.com)

I'm tempted to open a one time use credit card and order one and see what it does, then telling them they owe me a new engine after it burned mine up running it too lean.

This is one of the disguised articles that's really an ad. Notice "Marketing by Kevin" Kevin who? I need a full name to sue! Also this ... "Press release content from NewMediaWire. The AP news staff was not involved in its creation."

Effuel Scam Reviews - Gas Saving Chip for Fuel Optimization? (apnews.com)
You got me afraid to even click the link, 馃槵

Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
I clicked the first link, and read the first 'review'.

I read it as he lost mpg? 35 to 26? That's what it says?

My 2009 Honda Accord had an average mpg of around 35. I wanted to improve this. So I checked the pressure on my tires and added this Effuel chip. It says it takes about 150 miles to adjust the computer's ECU. I filled up the tank of fuel and took a trip to visit my parents out of state. It was a 167 miles round trip. My fuel mpg for that trip was a little over 26. Thanks guys!鈥

Round trip out of state- 167mi? Small states?

IMHO- any 'tuner' or chip to be used on any recent OEM engine can't and won't do much.
If it was there to get, they'd be getting it with their maps for the engine injectors, etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I clicked the first link, and read the first 'review'.

I read it as he lost mpg? 35 to 26? That's what it says?

My 2009 Honda Accord had an average mpg of around 35. I wanted to improve this. So I checked the pressure on my tires and added this Effuel chip. It says it takes about 150 miles to adjust the computer's ECU. I filled up the tank of fuel and took a trip to visit my parents out of state. It was a 167 miles round trip. My fuel mpg for that trip was a little over 26. Thanks guys!鈥

Round trip out of state- 167mi? Small states?

IMHO- any 'tuner' or chip to be used on any recent OEM engine can't and won't do much.
If it was there to get, they'd be getting it with their maps for the engine injectors, etc.
Were you surprised? Hopefully it didn't hurt your Accord's engine. Notice any other differences besides poorer mileage. Reminds me of diet pills, plans, exercise CDs ... don't expect results immediately, it will take a few months of us selling you more garbage before you will see any results and we are safely beyond the return window.

Thanks for sharing your real world experience. While I have you, would you be interested in a bridge I have for sale?

Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
Looks like a scam... so let鈥檚 close this thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.