Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
256 Posts
Whew! I live near woods and I'm constantly doing battle with critters, mice in my grill, birds on my awning, once I left my shed door open and rabbit scurried in there and didn't vacate when I backed my garden tractor in there and died inside my shed! I have those chip munk or ground squirrels, whatever they're called boring holes in the dirt next to my foundation. Now I never leave anything open, garage or shed doors.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Amen -- We are at the edge of a national forest, and the critter load is pretty high. K won't let me hunt in the driveway.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,186 Posts
Amen -- We are at the edge of a national forest, and the critter load is pretty high. K won't let me hunt in the driveway.
You know any good Jeff Foxworthy jokes?

I got one for ya....

If you hunt wild animals without even leaving you driveway?.................... You might be a red- neck!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
While we're on this subject....
Sometimes I have seen deer in my yard, in a suburban suburb community/subdivision. Rabbits, squirrels, ground squirrels, etc.

But back in TX, I often had doves in my back yard inside a 6 ft high fenced large back yard.
I borrowed my friends pellet gun/rifle. From 60-100 ft, and when they'd be on top of the fence too, I'd pick them off. Quickly field dress it and throw the remains in a creek behind my house. When we had a few dozen, we'd have a dove feast!
They were very plentiful in this area. It wasn't legal I don't think.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
Bounce dryer sheets not Snuggle.
Had chipmunks going under hood peeing , leaving droppings and food debris, put 4 or 5 under my hood have never again found any of the evidence as before. Have done this for years . Maybe mice don’t care , but we have field mice everywhere but never had a problem with them either. Bars of Irish Spring original soap worked under the hood of a car stored outside that had mice getting in there and bedding down , they never bedded down again in it.
Nothing like putting dryer sheets in a truly hot environment.

Peppermint has been my choice over they years. Peppermint oil is easy to find at Walmart, Hobby Lobby or you local grocery store.

What Smells do Squirrels Hate?
The smells that squirrels hate are usually pungent:

• Garlic
  • Onions
  • Peppermint
  • Cinnamon
  • Lemongrass
  • Clove
You can use these to make sprays to repel them. With the garlic and onion, you can use the same method as you would for the pepper spray.

With the other herbs and spices (essential oil), add 10-20 drops of essential oil to water in a spray bottle depending on the size. You can also add a teaspoon of Castile soap.

Every few weeks spray the engine compartment of the vehicle, making sure to not spray it on the serpentine belt.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Tie Bounce regular scent dryer sheets to a few places under the hood on wiring harness and change twice a year or when smell is gone. Also can use original scent Irish Spring bar soap in the car and under hood in cars that are stored for the winter.
these are old tricks from Hot Rod magazine on preventing wire chewing damage to stored or daily driven cars, mice, squirrels and chipmunks don’t like the smell and stay away. Have them under my JEEP hood need to do the same to wife’s Pilot. 😎

Peppermint has been my choice over they years. Peppermint oil is easy to find at Walmart, Hobby Lobby or you local grocery store.

• Garlic
  • Onions
  • Peppermint
  • Cinnamon
  • Lemongrass
  • Clove
You can use these to make sprays to repel them. With the garlic and onion, you can use the same method as you would for the pepper spray.

With the other herbs and spices (essential oil), add 10-20 drops of essential oil to water in a spray bottle depending on the size. You can also add a teaspoon of Castile soap.

Every few weeks spray the engine compartment of the vehicle, making sure to not spray it on the serpentine belt.
I was hoping for a good, time-tested, old wives' solution.

Well, rats.
They've outsmarted humans again.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-AWD, 6 Speed,Sapphire, S-VCM, Factory tow with extra cooling
22 Posts

• Garlic
  • Onions
  • Peppermint
  • Cinnamon
  • Lemongrass
  • Clove

Great info on the dryer sheet flammability, in my JEEP they are no where near the engine , but maybe I’ve just been lucky for 6 years.
I would think any type of oil would be flammable too, including the essential oil, but diluting in water could be the reason.

·
Administrator
4,876 Posts
Considering that It only takes 7 or 8 drops of peppermint oil in a water filled sprayer bottle I’m not to worried about starting a second Chicago Fire with peppermint oil, even if I emptied the whole bottle In the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-AWD, 6 Speed,Sapphire, S-VCM, Factory tow with extra cooling
22 Posts
Oh I wasn’t disagreeing with your using it or it causing a huge fire was just stating thoughts on oil and it being diluted. We have used peppermint oil around the house too.
I did see that it can stain paint so that’s something we have to be careful with.

It’s interesting that the package that the bounce dryer sheets come in doesn’t say flammable but says not for use on children’s sleepwear or other garments labeled as flame resistant as it may reduce flame resistance.
So it’s used in a dryer but can make things less flame resistant. Crazy never read the package before

·
Registered
10,290 Posts

·
Administrator
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
In a past life, a division of client's company was installing fiber-optic under roadbed they were constructing. The size of the plastic "innerduct" tubing (actually the outer casing" was based on a rodent bite capability. Beavers have a larger bite capability, but at the same time they seldom come in contact with correctly-buried plastic fiber optic cable casings.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Here's a question for those of you at one with nature. Do rodents (mice, rats, squirrels, etc.) prefer chewing on wiring with a small current through it, say 5v or 12v, or do they prefer chewing on the same wiring with no current running through it? Or doesn't it matter and they chew through either?

Reason I ask is because my wife left an ornamental Christmas deer out all winter on the terrace and when she went back out to look in the spring, all the wiring and lights had been chewed to smithereens. Thing is, it was left on for several of those weeks and then off for the remainder of the winter, but she doesn't remember if it was chewed up while still on or after unplugging it.

She's just rewired the whole thing by hand with a set of LEDs off AliExpress.

4.78US $ |SICCSAEE Outdoor christmas led string lights 100M 20M 10M 5M Luces Decoracion fairy light holiday lights lighting tree garland|LED String| - AliExpress

She's wondering, therefore, if it would be less appetizing to squirrels and such if she left it plugged in or unplugged when not around it, like overnight or morning hours before lunchtime.

Not that the lights or even the electricity are expensive, but the job of having to rewire again by hand is tedious.

So, plugged in or not plugged in, to keep the varmints at bay?

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Some postulate that wire insulation can be made or coated with soy, so that smells like food, and others aver that some bulbs look enough like nuts to be mistakenly chewed free and carried off as such.

For now, I left the deer lights plugged in and sprayed a cayenne and black pepper solution on the deer. However, I don't want to be having to do that on any frequent basis, and the solution I first made was not fine enough so it clogged up my sprayer.

I know, first world problems.

·
Administrator
4,876 Posts
Here's a question for those of you at one with nature. Do rodents (mice, rats, squirrels, etc.) prefer chewing on wiring with a small current through it, say 5v or 12v, or do they prefer chewing on the same wiring with no current running through it? Or doesn't it matter and they chew through either?

Reason I ask is because my wife left an ornamental Christmas deer out all winter on the terrace and when she went back out to look in the spring, all the wiring and lights had been chewed to smithereens. Thing is, it was left on for several of those weeks and then off for the remainder of the winter, but she doesn't remember if it was chewed up while still on or after unplugging it.

She's just rewired the whole thing by hand with a set of LEDs off AliExpress.

4.78US $ |SICCSAEE Outdoor christmas led string lights 100M 20M 10M 5M Luces Decoracion fairy light holiday lights lighting tree garland|LED String| - AliExpress

She's wondering, therefore, if it would be less appetizing to squirrels and such if she left it plugged in or unplugged when not around it, like overnight or morning hours before lunchtime.

View attachment 148089

Not that the lights or even the electricity are expensive, but the job of having to rewire again by hand is tedious.

So, plugged in or not plugged in, to keep the varmints at bay?
Well this definitely sounds like a poll question. If you do, don’t forget to include my answer as one of the options which is put the thing away.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
To some mice the deer ornament could appear to be a good nesting area to set up camp. The tasty soy-based wiring fills their belly while the 5V adds some buzz to the chewing. I'd turn up the power supply to eliminate them before they tell their friends who tell their friends...

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
A couple lawn-and-leaf bags will be enough to protect the ornamental wiring from casual rodent teething. I do have to say that the ornamental reindeer do look pretty amazing in the winter, surrounded by a dozen mule deer bedded down in the front yard under the ponderosas in the winter snows. Too cold for mice. Almost all the deer go away or get put away before it's warm enough to outdoor mice. Just sayin'...

Christmas holiday decorations still out and lit up at Easter? Who's that guy with all the "ya might be a red-neck!" stories?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
For now, I left the deer lights plugged in and sprayed a cayenne and black pepper solution on the deer.
Oh, you're trying to attract Cajun Rodents, in Canaduh?

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
don’t forget to include my answer as one of the options which is put the thing away.
Gentlemen, you know this is not your decision nor mine, if you know what I mean. I'm sure you, too, have learned to pick your battles if you're still around to tell the tale.

So how about some actually helpful rodent-repelling recommendations, since you're all such knowledgeable and experienced fonts of wisdom brimming with sagacious suggestions

And yes, it was lovely and shimmering in the winter snow. Too lovely, it turns out.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts