Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the wires to my drivers side headlight have been chewed up by a squirrel. The wires are on the side of the bottom air box. Anybody know how to remove that bottom box? Couldn’t find anything on this forum or YouTube.
7CD45616-EA7E-4A95-8694-9855F58E73F1.jpeg
2AAF3C32-A38F-428A-A02E-05F40E8EEE8B.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,748 Posts
Think I found your culprit. :)

But I also found this on page 11-402 of the Service Manual. Looks like you have to remove the bumper first.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EX.
12 Posts
So the wires to my drivers side headlight have been chewed up by a squirrel. The wires are on the side of the bottom air box. Anybody know how to remove that bottom box? Couldn’t find anything on this forum or YouTube. View attachment 147802 View attachment 147803
Thanks in advance.
I feel your pain. In the preceding several years they have cost me over $2K in damages to my vehicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel your pain. In the preceding several years they have cost me over $2K in damages to my vehicles.
Both my cars have been chewed up in the past two months. Transmission solenoid wires on my 2010 Fit and now the headlight wires on the 2014 pilot. The thing I don’t understand is all three of my neighbors leave their cars (VW, Kia , Chrysler) outside as well and none of them have had this problem. Any thing special about Honda wiring ? I read somewhere they might have used soy based plastic in the wires, but not sure if that is true.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Both my cars have been chewed up in the past two months. Transmission solenoid wires on my 2010 Fit and now the headlight wires on the 2014 pilot. The thing I don’t understand is all three of my neighbors leave their cars (VW, Kia , Chrysler) outside as well and none of them have had this problem. Any thing special about Honda wiring ? I read somewhere they might have used soy based plastic in the wires, but not sure if that is true.
Wrap the wiring in rodent tape.
Rodent Tape

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
251 Posts
Are you saying this occurred in a garaged vehicle?

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
251 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I have that same grill, and actively use it for squirrels. It's a very active deterrent. K has named all the local squirrels "Bob" in sympathy. ;)

Great idea on the ultrasonic repellers. I'm not sure your issue is with squirrels, as they are a bit large for getting into that space by the air box. I changed fuel pumps on a neighbor's Merc last summer, and did the surgery in her driveway away from the house. It took a couple days for the pumps to arrive. When I was done and the owner restarted the car, a flock of mice exited the engine bay in a big bad hurry, and hot-footed it past me on the way to some ground cover at the edge of her driveway. It's not like the car was a warm refuge since it wasn't running when I pushed it out of her garage, yet in just a few days it looked like a rodent section-eight housing project.

My winter-stored cars sit on tall (24"+) jack stands, hopefully higher than the average he-mouse can leap. K won't allow those ultrasonic devices in the workshop, convinced that they would kill the cats. Meanwhile, the always-indoors cats are too well-fed to actively hunt mice. Conundrum... There's a peanut-butter baited bucket trap that's netted a few early on here, but none the last couple winters. I hope that means we have no mice, but more likely they are just getting smarter. So far so good!

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Rodent Tape
Any peer-reviewed equally effective yet non-dealer priced alternatives?

I have that same grill, and actively use it for squirrels. It's a very active deterrent.

I got one (well, two, in fact, for the price) of these under the hood models that run off the car battery. I don't want to change AA batteries every 47 days. I want something I can set and forget. However, being mindful of the annoyance of parasitic current draw, the ones I got have a low voltage regulator that will shut them off if they detect less than 9.2v.

And it's a good idea to install them before the critters chew up your wiring rather than after they've already feasted on it.

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Must be something national security related.:)

·
Registered
10,464 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,552 Posts
What can you expect. I mean really folks, lets be just a little realistic about the situation. We all know squirrels are a problem no matter where you go. Even to church.

·
Registered
9,748 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tie Bounce regular scent dryer sheets to a few places under the hood on wiring harness and change twice a year or when smell is gone. Also can use original scent Irish Spring bar soap in the car and under hood in cars that are stored for the winter.
these are old tricks from Hot Rod magazine on preventing wire chewing damage to stored or daily driven cars, mice, squirrels and chipmunks don’t like the smell and stay away. Have them under my JEEP hood need to do the same to wife’s Pilot. 😎

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,135 Posts
Tie Bounce regular scent dryer sheets to a few places under the hood on wiring harness and change twice a year or when smell is gone. Also can use original scent Irish Spring bar soap in the car and under hood in cars that are stored for the winter.
these are old tricks from Hot Rod magazine on preventing wire chewing damage to stored or daily driven cars, mice, squirrels and chipmunks don’t like the smell and stay away. Have them under my JEEP hood need to do the same to wife’s Pilot. 😎
Agreed. Used in stored RV/campers too!

I like using the regular 'ol cheapy air fresheners too!f

My truck was parked for the winter (RWD only), and I hung a new pine scented air freshener on the mirror.
No signs of any critters, I drove it yesterday too.

Rodent Tape
Rodent tape?
Do you get that where you also get 'Duck Tape'? LOL

Reactions: plplplpl and osimj

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bounce dryer sheets not Snuggle.
Had chipmunks going under hood peeing , leaving droppings and food debris, put 4 or 5 under my hood have never again found any of the evidence as before. Have done this for years . Maybe mice don’t care , but we have field mice everywhere but never had a problem with them either. Bars of Irish Spring original soap worked under the hood of a car stored outside that had mice getting in there and bedding down , they never bedded down again in it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts