Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The July installment of the Edmunds long term test drive is up:

http://apps.edmunds.com/new/2003/ho...le.html?articleId=76080&editorialpage=page010

It's the next-to-last article before the wrap-up and they ask for email feedback from Pilot owners. So, everybody click on over and make 'em sorry they asked. :D

I found one thing in the article to be very curious:

" ... he praised the navigation system, claiming he can't imagine living without one now. He noted that while the Pilot's nav system isn't as great as the Toyota/Lexus system, the fact that you can use the Pilot system while the vehicle is in motion makes up for the minor graphic deficiencies and longer map-loading times that the Pilot system suffers from."

This implies the Toyota/Lexus system can't be used with the vehicle in motion. That's just plain nuts. :confused:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
krygny said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

This implies the Toyota/Lexus system can't be used with the vehicle in motion. That's just plain nuts. :confused:
krygny: The Garmin SPIII GPS navigation unit has a SAFE mode that is ON by default -- it disables many of the functions that require the driver's attention when the vehicle is in motion.

This can be turned OFF to allow, according to Garmin, a passenger to tweak the GPS unit. Which means the driver can tweak the unit, too!!! So I guess the SPIII can be like the Honda (on) or like the Toyota (off).

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Edmunds Long Term Test Drive

kemosabe said:

krygny: The Garmin SPIII GPS navigation unit has a SAFE mode that is ON by default -- it disables many of the functions that require the driver's attention when the vehicle is in motion.

This can be turned OFF to allow, according to Garmin, a passenger to tweak the GPS unit. Which means the driver can tweak the unit, too!!! So I guess the SPIII can be like the Honda (on) or like the Toyota (off).
I have quite a bit of experience using GPS on the road and I can assure you it is ALL TOO EASY to get distracted by it. I'm not talking about simply using the units features to navigate, but when trying to select new items or routes or different map settings. It makes sense that Garmin has included the "safe" mode for the SPIII.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kemosabe, colorider ...

Ah, the ColorMap has no such feature. Yes, they are a big distraction and anything that reduces the temptation to press buttons is probably a good idea. I know the SPIII has voice prompts, but with most GPSs, It's bad enough that you still have to view the display in order to navigate. That's only a little less distracting than reading a paper map, and who hasn't seen one of those candidates for the Darwin Awards . :3:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: kemosabe, colorider ...

krygny said:
Ah, the ColorMap has no such feature. Yes, they are a big distraction and anything that reduces the temptation to press buttons is probably a good idea. I know the SPIII has voice prompts, but with most GPSs, It's bad enough that you still have to view the display in order to navigate. That's only a little less distracting than reading a paper map, and who hasn't seen one of those candidates for the Darwin Awards . :3:
Yes, the SPIII is the first Garmin that I have owned that had the option to disable some of the options while moving. The straight StreetPilot, the GPS III+ and the GPS V I had before did not.

I don't use the voice prompts since my primary use is on the motorcycle and doubt I will in the cage either.

YMMV

:)

·
Registered
725 Posts
I Agree With Edmunds On One Thing...

Honda weaseled out with the 235/16 inch series tires. The PILOT is a meaty vehicle, but I don't think the tires are up to snuff.

I think the handling performance issues that Edmunds.com brought up can be directly tied to the "wussy" tire package on the PILOT.

This vehicle should have a 245/17 inch series tire as standard at least on the EX trim level.

Thoughts?????

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: I Agree With Edmunds On One Thing...

PILOTinginCO said:
Honda weaseled out with the 235/16 inch series tires. The PILOT is a meaty vehicle, but I don't think the tires are up to snuff.
I look at my Pilot, and it looks as though it wants bigger tires (as evidenced by the more appropriately sized 17" tires on the MDX). But for me, I'm glad they went with 16" tires. I'm not interested in driving the Grave Digger, I like the more car like ride, and of course, they'll be less expensive to replace.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Re: I Agree With Edmunds On One Thing...

PILOTinginCO said:
Thoughts?????
AMEN!!!!!!! I don' t like the OEM tires!

......and are those writers at Edmunds winey or what!! GEEEEZZZZ!!!

Gripe, Gripe, Gripe!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts