Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So maybe the title is a tad misleading. But, seriously, what the hell is this all about?? Folks over on Edmunds post questions about their Pilots and I have pointed them over to this board several times in response. Not because I'm trying to take visitors away from Edmunds. On the contrary. I usually love my time on Edmunds. But I have sent folks over here because they ask questions which we have answered extensively, posted pics, debated, etc. To repost everything over there would be A) a real pain in the rear and B) stealing - since most of what I would post would be other folks' words and pictures.

So... what does Edmunds do? They delete my posts and send me an email telling me what they did and why they did it. Here are a couple of quotes from the email:
<i>References to a web site with competing forums is also frowned
upon.</i>
and
<i>You agree to not promote other auto forums that provide
message boards or chats.</i>

the messages in question either mentioned hondapilot.org directly or contained a hyperlink to the discussion in question.

I did respond to the host with an email containing this:
<i>I do, however, wonder why a website that exists solely for the exchange of automotive information would want to prevent members from sharing the information they have. I'm speaking, of course, about other discussions which may not be located on Edmunds but which contain a great deal of valuable information. Specifically, I have pointed folks to the hondapilot.org board many times. The reason being that this is where a great deal of answers are already located. It would be totally inappropriate for me to copy posts from other people on that board and post them on edmunds. More importantly, we are talking about very lengthy discussions and, many times, a number of photographs. These
are things that I cannot steal and repost on Edmunds. And, by denying sharing of this information, you are preventing Edmunds readers from finding answers to their questions and thereby eliminating the very reason they visit Edmunds in the first place. I do understand that you don't want to post other websites on your site for fear of competition, but preventing folks from sharing the information in the first place is a sure way to lose members when they can't get the answers they are looking for.

There is no other site that I know of which offers discussions on such a wide variety of subjects like edmunds. You should be confident that this is where your strength lies and that folks will continue being a part of that community for that reason. Other sites that cater to one specific car or manufacturer are in no way a major threat to Edmunds. I am sorry to say, however, that such restrictive and censored exchange of information may be.</i>

I'm waiting for a response to this, but, of course, it will just be more bull and refusals.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this here in case anybody had any notion of helping folks on Edmunds with their Pilot problems or questions. Apparently, help is not welcomed if it involves a link to truly helpful information.:3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I find this to be disturbing, especially in light of the fact that when I had questions I posted on this board, I was directed over to Edmunds for further info... (which I also found very helpful). Didn't know there was msg board competition.... What's the world coming to? Ugh! :confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
I am sure the purpose is to prevent advertising from edmunds from going to outer boards...if a cometitive board has more hits the advertisers will notice....

what can you do ...its all about $$$$$$

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
laso82 said:
I find this to be disturbing, especially in light of the fact that when I had questions I posted on this board, I was directed over to Edmunds for further info... (which I also found very helpful). Didn't know there was msg board competition.... What's the world coming to? Ugh! :confused: :rolleyes:
Exactly. We post links pointing to Edmunds quite often. When people ask the forum where they can do research about vehicles and pricing, they are often directed to Edmunds.

I guess we should have Admin or the Worm perform "find and delete" on the database for the term "edmunds". We wouldn't want to be trespassing on their site.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
tim.s said:
I guess we should have Admin or the Worm perform "find and delete" on the database for the term "edmunds". We wouldn't want to be trespassing on their site.
I would have thought Edmunds had more class than that!

·
Registered
122 Posts
rami hit it right on the head. Edmunds doesn't want you to go elswhere because it takes away viewers of advertising that help offset the costs of that site. I spend a great deal of time at Edmunds and unfortunatley, the comment about not pointing people to other forums comes up a great deal. I enjoy Edmunds and this site a whole bunch and will be spending more and more time here after September. Q, don't let it get you down or stop you from posting on either site. I for one enjoy your input here and at Edmunds.

Happy Piloting for you and Pilot dreams for me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, thanks. your name does look familiar. Is that your same handle on Edmunds.

Anyway, of course I understand their point of view. But I really do think they are overreacting. Sure, if people are there saying "hey, everyone, go over to Board X and don't come back here again!" I can see a problem. But in a situation like sending someone over here to see all the pictures of a sunroof install in a Pilot or to look through the VIN table, I think Edmunds has to back off. All of that information is not on Edmunds nor will it be. I even find myself not wanting to post answers to questions or comments I've already answered over here ad nauseum. Its redundant. They don't seem to have a problem with linking to an article. I see that as a very fine line. Yes, you can't write back and forth to an article, but this site is a source of information just the same. If they wanted to tell me not to mention the name hondapilot.org, then fine, I could agree with that. But what is wrong with me putting in a hyperlink to a particular posting on the board? To me, that is no different than linking to an article.

·
Registered
78 Posts
apples and oranges

The research that edmunds does is fantastic, however this user forum is far superior (and prolific).

I don't know what put a bug in their:bootyshak but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just check there for "professional" opinions and here for "real world" ones.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yep, this is my handle at both places. You are absolutely correct about not being able to cover everything, which is why your info on the sunroof was worthwhile (yes I read it). I know that some of the hosts on Edmunds use a program or website called make a short link or something like that. As you can probably tell I'm not very good with computers.

One thing I try to remember is that people flow in and out of these forums and most don't take the time to read back to see if their question was already covered.

BTW, go get that guy on the Volvo forum at Edmunds regarding the interior and seats. :)

See you around.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's just it, they won't even allow a hyperlink like this <a href="http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/[email protected]@.ef0e955/109">one</a>. They deleted my short link to the sunroof board. Funny thing is, now that I look back, there is a guy who posted just a few messages ahead of me about the clear bra and his link wasn't even disguised. That post is still there.

that guy on the volvo board is just a nut.:confused:
i got tired of arguing with him.;)

edit:
hmmm... interesting. the link i had posted earlier allowed someone to post under my username on Edmunds. That's really odd. Thanks for letting me know, socalgary. Hopefully its fixed now.

·
Registered
483 Posts
ramirami hit the nail on the head, Its all about the almighty dollar, they are worried about potential lost revenue from their advitisers.

Its nice to see someone who is willing to speak out on such matters as you Qbrozen, but I wouldn't get to worked up about it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Some "small minded people" perhaps ... I don't visit Edmunds, but it's too bad for them to have such attitude. As a Pocket PC user, I requently visit websites with forums on Personal Digital Assistant devices. At pocketnow.com that I highly recommend to other PDA users, members and moderators routinely post links to other similar (and hence competing) websites / forum discussions without raising an eyebrow. The objective is basically to share knowledge and experience in the easiest possible way without thoughts of "competition" getting in the way. It's a shame some people don't look at it that way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Happened to me too

Qbrozen- They've deleted some posts of mine too where I referenced this web site. I gave my opinions, like comparing OEM GY tires to the CrossTerrains, and then I suggested reading more about this comparison over here. They deleted it and sent me an e-mail saying it was against policy and they don't want to loose more visitors to these types of web sites.

I still like Edmunds, but wish they were a little more secure with their presence and stopped the nit-picking.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it continues

so the host finally wrote me back. All she did was cut and paste the standard answer she has given many times before and didn't address my specific comments. Typical.

someone else posted a question on their "ask the hosts" board about how he/she could direct someone to a place where the answer to a specific question exists without giving a link or website name. They have yet to answer his/her question, so I asked that they look again and please give us a suggestion. No response so far.

I know that I shouldn't let it bother me, but it does. I can't help it. I just find it really irritating when any business acts this way. They get so wrapped up in themselves that they lose sight of why they exist in the first place. Denying the sharing of information when your existance in based on the sharing of information is assinine and I just feel it is my duty to continually point this out to them to the point of being annoying. :4:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts