Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

561 - 580 of 594 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
How many miles are on your Pilot, now?
What was the typical mileage interval between engine oil changes?
Conventional or synthetic engine oil?
Have you ever let the engine oil level run low?
68k now. Followed the maintenance minder which put the oil changes around 9k. Changed with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and it's never run low.

I stopped at the dealer yesterday to get something out of it I forgot and I was able to see the engine torn down. I'm not real happy about how clean it was inside and I think I'll be ignoring the maintenance minder from here on out and doing changes at 5k. I've had cars with twice that mileage that looked cleaner inside when opened up.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
68k now. Followed the maintenance minder which put the oil changes around 9k. Changed with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and it's never run low.

I stopped at the dealer yesterday to get something out of it I forgot and I was able to see the engine torn down. I'm not real happy about how clean it was inside and I think I'll be ignoring the maintenance minder from here on out and doing changes at 5k. I've had cars with twice that mileage that looked cleaner inside when opened up.
Did you ever have to add any oil between changes?
Is most of your driving highway miles?

It's been suggested, in the past, for those who prefer more frequent oil changes, to do an (extra) oil change when the maintenance minder reaches about 50% - but don't reset the display. In that way the schedule for other maintenance items won't be upset. Then do the regularly scheduled oil change when the MM display gets down to zero.

For better detergent action you might want to try Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum oil.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did you ever have to add any oil between changes?
Is most of your driving highway miles?

It's been suggested, in the past, for those who prefer more frequent oil changes, to do an (extra) oil change when the maintenance minder reaches about 50% - but don't reset the display. In that way the schedule for other maintenance items won't be upset. Then do the regularly scheduled oil change when the MM display gets down to zero.

For better detergent action you might want to try Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum oil.
It does use between a half and 1 quart between oil changes, of which I check regularly to make sure it stays at the proper level. Most of it's miles are highway.

I've thought about doing that with the maintenance minder, because i do use it to follow the other maintenance items like the transmission fluid, etc...so maybe that's what I'll do. Change it at either 5k and then again when it says so, or at 50% like you're saying.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
It does use between a half and 1 quart between oil changes, of which I check regularly to make sure it stays at the proper level. Most of it's miles are highway.

I've thought about doing that with the maintenance minder, because i do use it to follow the other maintenance items like the transmission fluid, etc...so maybe that's what I'll do. Change it at either 5k and then again when it says so, or at 50% like you're saying.
Given the preponderance of highway miles, doubling the frequency of oil changes would seem to be highly advisable. Even the best oils don't seem to hold up well over a long interval under the conditions created in the deactivated cylinders by the VCM system.

Here are two threads which describe the trouble another Pilot owner had with long oil changes calculated by the maintenance minder as a result of mainly highway miles:

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/14-problems/31416-why-my-pilot-engine-failing-after-only-90k-miles.html

What is my Honda Pilot engine's REAL problem? | Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs | Bob Is The Oil Guy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah I've seen that first thread before and that's part of the reason Im lowering the interval. Any time I've ever had to open up any of my car's engines they've been very clean...I was surprised to see this one the way it was. I may also run a flush through it shortly after I get it back to clean it up and then start with a fresh oil change and 5k intervals after that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've noticed this ECO/VCM vibration since pretty early on in my ownership - bought new 62k miles ago. Well, after just changing my transmission fluid with DW-1, she seems noticeably smoother. The transmission shifts smoother and doesn't "hunt" like it did before. And the VCM engagement isn't as noticeable. I *just* changed the fluid less than 100 miles ago, so it may be too soon to tell, but I'm hopeful that this has improved the drivability of the Pilot. I'll report back with updates.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update: my wife even noticed the improvement in drivability after changing the transmission fluid. It just feels *smoother*, that's her description, as well as mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ECO mode vibration

Love my 2014 Pilot but can no longer stand the ECO vibration. I had a 2010 and a 2012 pilot with no problem with eco mode. MY new Honda has 6000 miles on it and it sounds like a junker . Took back to service three times and Honda says the engine is running as designed. Tell me what engineer would design a motor with that vibration. Please give me a break. I go to arbitration on the Oct 20th . Ill let you know what happens. If I get no help I'm taking this junker to Toyota and getting a 4 runner.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Love my 2014 Pilot but can no longer stand the ECO vibration. I had a 2010 and a 2012 pilot with no problem with eco mode. MY new Honda has 6000 miles on it and it sounds like a junker . Took back to service three times and Honda says the engine is running as designed. Tell me what engineer would design a motor with that vibration. Please give me a break. I go to arbitration on the Oct 20th . Ill let you know what happens. If I get no help I'm taking this junker to Toyota and getting a 4 runner.
At least get a Highlander. 4 Runner is nice but not even comparable to a Pilot in my opinion. Two totally different SUV's

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've noticed this ECO/VCM vibration since pretty early on in my ownership - bought new 62k miles ago. Well, after just changing my transmission fluid with DW-1, she seems noticeably smoother. The transmission shifts smoother and doesn't "hunt" like it did before. And the VCM engagement isn't as noticeable. I *just* changed the fluid less than 100 miles ago, so it may be too soon to tell, but I'm hopeful that this has improved the drivability of the Pilot. I'll report back with updates.
We had a similar experience. Our 2011 EX-L had a ECO/VCM vibration. I changed the transmission fluid and it went away. We have driven it about 4000 miles since and it is still riding smooth.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One of my employees owns a 2012 Pilot - he was having the same issue. Honda Canada came out with a fix DEC 10 2014 covering some 2012-2015 Pilots. They say to follow the diagnostic procedures and if necessary, repair the vehicle by installing a propeller shaft assembly with an updated centre bearing mount (on 4WD models), and updating the PGM-FI software. We completed this repair procedure January 20th 2015 (9 days ago), and since we are in a colder climate we are able to report it has eliminated the concern (Honda Canada states it may either eliminate the concern or significantly reduce the concern).

Interesting to note that part of the diagnostic procedure is to disconnect the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch (which I reported earlier in this thread), to deactivate VCM and put the vehicle into full-time 6 cylinder mode. I also believe the PGM-FI software is VIN specific.

Finally, this is not a safety recall, just an FYI, so normal warranty procedures apply (no extended warranty), therefore in Canada 5-year/100,000kms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I never noticed this but I had been listening to a doom metal CD for the last month since getting the 2011 Pilot, I do notice it seems to "feel different" when it "shifts" into ECO at first though

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Just saw this thread and thought that maybe a thread I started in the 2012-2015 forum would be of interest to some of you. VCM is to blame for the vibrations you're experiencing, regardless of what you do to fix it. If you do get some relief through a fix, be aware that VCM still causes your engine to vibrate, but you just don't notice it anymore. There are other bad things that happen with VCM including plug fouling, oil bypassing, misfires, all of which can lead to other engine damage long term. Some of it maybe covered by a Honda warranty extension (like I have with my 2012) where they came right out and admitted the problems. I don't know if you owners got a similar one or not.

Read this thread. I posted it in the 2012-2015 forum, but I believe it would work just as well for you guys. Same engine, and same PCM programming, right? If someone with a 2009-2011 pilot could send me a close up pic of the ECT female connector on the harness, I could tell tell if the harness I'm preparing to make, would work for you, or if I'd have to order a different connector for your model year.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/82-2012-2015-pilot/70873-vcm-disable-new-better-way.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
We have been having problems with our 2011 Pilot that while accelerating from 20-50 mph, it will shudder, shake, and hesitate badly. Of course, it did not begin doing this until it was out of the warranty period (over 36 months) even though we have fewer than 30k miles on it. If this is a known problem, any chance that they will cover it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
After reading the problems other owners are having, it will probably take losing a class action lawsuit for Honda to do the right thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ktuner already made ECU tuning for the VCM Accords which includes VCM disable and lots of other engine tuning and they are ready to do it for the pilot if they have a Pilot for 1 day.. http://ktuner.com/13accordv6/

·
Registered
1 Posts
It would be so simple for Honda to fix the VCM vibration problem.
First of all, the decision to use the VCM mode should be left up to the owner instead of the arrogant Honda manufactures deciding what is best for the owner. (the owner should have the choice). It's my right to decide what kind of gas mileage I want use.
The ECON button could very easily be modified to disable the VCM mode.
Honda got their asses sued in a class action case involving VCM problems yet they still stubbornly refuse to change and give the car owner a choice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It would be so simple for Honda to fix the VCM vibration problem.
First of all, the decision to use the VCM mode should be left up to the owner instead of the arrogant Honda manufactures deciding what is best for the owner. (the owner should have the choice). It's my right to decide what kind of gas mileage I want use.
The ECON button could very easily be modified to disable the VCM mode.
Honda got their asses sued in a class action case involving VCM problems yet they still stubbornly refuse to change and give the car owner a choice.
Honda, like other car- makers, can't buck the EPA (another goverment entity out of control) My guess would be in order to achieve the phony Cafe Standards,Honda had to do "something", even if it's worthless in reality. Like a mackeral in the moolight,it shines but still stinks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have been having problems with our 2011 Pilot that while accelerating from 20-50 mph, it will shudder, shake, and hesitate badly. Of course, it did not begin doing this until it was out of the warranty period (over 36 months) even though we have fewer than 30k miles on it. If this is a known problem, any chance that they will cover it?
Our 2011 Pilot has been doing this SAME CRAP. Almost to the point I'm going to trade it in.

561 - 580 of 594 Posts