Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

541 - 560 of 594 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
ECO noise/vibration - VCM issue

It's hard to believe that with all the noise about this issue, Honda is still not offering a software option to disable this feature.

This scenario is no different than the outcry of BMW owners when BMW started to deploy their "Auto Start" feature not too long ago.

BMW listens to their customers and now offers to re-program the vehicle to disable the "Auto Start" feature if requested.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
ECO noise/vibration - VCM issue

It's hard to believe that with all the noise about this issue, Honda is still not offering a software option to disable this feature.

This scenario is no different than the outcry of BMW owners when BMW started to deploy their "Auto Start" feature not too long ago.

BMW listens to their customers and now offers to re-program the vehicle to disable the "Auto Start" feature if requested.
Switching off VCM affects CAFE. Auto start does not. So it is a bit different. CAFE penalties are costly, there are no penalties for auto start.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Auto Start does affect CAFE for its idle reduction, but perhaps not as much as VCM.
OK, I misunderstood what auto start was (auto start/stop) - I was thinking remote start. It is used in a smaller percentage of BMWs vehicles compared to Honda's VCM. Having to use the the lower non-VCM mpg in CAFE calculations would have a much greater impact for Honda.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had this same problem with the ECO light on vibration and such out of rear end. I have a 2011 pilot with 60,000 miles.
Decided the other day to change plugs out. Starting with number one the damn plug wasn't torque all the way. It came out with a couple of turns. It was all black, and looking at the reach I would say it would take me more then a couple of turns to remove it.
I had another one on the other bank that was the same way.
So I replace all of them, now when the light goes on I barely feel any vibration at all.
Again, there were no trouble code light on. No way of knowing until you go in and change the plugs.
Very strange...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Plea for help here guys...my 2011 Pilot has just under 57K on the od, and I'm going to make one final Hail Mary attempt to resolve my worsening VCM shudders and vibrations before the warranty runs out. I've put up some pics in the past of my rear motor mount which was replaced under warranty, and I'm requesting that one of you could take a look at yours and let me know if your mount is coming in contact with the engine block which reveals some obvious staining on the block (would help if you had jacks or ramps, but can be done without). I've yet to get an explanation from American Honda or the Dealer who said they would look at some others while being serviced, but have heard nothing. The clearance keeps getting smaller and smaller, and you can see the Q-Tip with one end clipped off barely fits in the gap. The shaft of the O-Tip measures 3/32 with calipers, and I really think this is contributing to the problem. So I'm hoping someone who has the ECO Shudder/Vibe would be willing to inspect there's and let me know. I'm going to request another rear mount be replaced under warranty with hopes of this improving the situation, thanks guy's. I realize this is pain, but one of you out there must be curious and adventurous enough to take a look.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you are stuck file a consumer complaint with your state attorney general. Also contact the consumer reporter with your local newspaper or TV station. Try to contact the owner of your dealer directly. Put the screws to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought an 2011 EX-L with 18500 miles, I have noticed the shutter too, almost like an engine hiccup at certain speeds. Not to bad yet, but I will keep an eye on it and on this thread to see if anything happens on Hondas end. Will be taking it to the dealer soon to see what they say...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hesitation/vibration possible solution

Just so everyone knows Im new to the forum and have had my 2010 Pilot 4wd exl since September of 2013. I bought it used and certified through a honda dealership with 39000 miles. I now have 60000 or so miles I do a lot of freeway driving up and down California. I have experienced the vibration aswell. I would describe it as a hesitation when slowly accelerating. Having experience with hondas in the past and my mechanical background I decided to change my transmission fluid at the dealership as I knew there was a problem and did not want any bailouts from honda in case my tranny went out before my 100000 mile warranty was up just to show a record of maintenance. As you may know honda does not recommend a flush just a regular drain and fill so I had it done for around 100 dollars at the dealership. They only changed out 3qts or so. Expensive given the oil is around 9 dollars a qt where I live. Anyways long story short the hesitation went away for around 13000 miles. I recently took a trip to baja California where I was able to test the 4wd in dunes. Unfortunately I did not have off road tires and got stuck once or twice the whole time I was there. I was able to get out but needless to say my atf temperature light came on I let the fluid cool down before attempting to get out. I knew after heating my fluid up I would be changing my tranny fluid again and what a coincidence 1000 miles later after getting back home I feel the hesitation starting again consitently. I will be changing the oil this sunday but this time on my own and of course I will be using honda tranny fluid I dont recommend anything other than that. I will follow up and share my results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hesitation/vibration possible solution

Just so everyone knows Im new to the forum and have had my 2010 Pilot 4wd exl since September of 2013. I bought it used and certified through a honda dealership with 39000 miles. I now have 60000 or so miles I do a lot of freeway driving up and down California. I have experienced the vibration aswell. I would describe it as a hesitation when slowly accelerating. Having experience with hondas in the past and my mechanical background I decided to change my transmission fluid at the dealership as I knew there was a problem and did not want any bailouts from honda in case my tranny went out before my 100000 mile warranty was up just to show a record of maintenance. As you may know honda does not recommend a flush just a regular drain and fill so I had it done for around 100 dollars at the dealership. They only changed out 3qts or so. Expensive given the oil is around 9 dollars a qt where I live. Anyways long story short the hesitation went away for around 13000 miles. I recently took a trip to baja California where I was able to test the 4wd in dunes. Unfortunately I did not have off road tires and got stuck once or twice the whole time I was there. I was able to get out but needless to say my atf temperature light came on I let the fluid cool down before attempting to get out. I knew after heating my fluid up I would be changing my tranny fluid again and what a coincidence 1000 miles later after getting back home I feel the hesitation starting again consitently. I will be changing the oil this sunday but this time on my own and of course I will be using honda tranny fluid I dont recommend anything other than that. I will follow up and share my results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wanted to also say that transitions to eco mode became unnoticeable after the first time I had the transmission fluid changed by honda added bonus i guess

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just an update I work nights work 3 to 4am everyday and wasnt able to stop at the dealership to buy tranny fluid but since the time ive posted the hesitation happens atleast 4 or 5 times on every trip with in the city so once I change the tranny fluid ill know for sures if that is the culprit im planning on changing out 9 qts that should be 3 drain and fills next sunday I guess pilot has 60887 miles right now

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe the fuel system is direct injection. there are two possibilities in my opinion that causes this vibration. One is the carbon built up on the back of the valve. Second are the spark plugs. The carbon build up problem on the valve is common for vehicles of this type. Before changing oil make sure you install injector cleaner into the fuel system, and run the tank out then change your oil. I have found that changing the spark plugs drastically reduces the vibration or extra shift. You may be surprised that at least two plugs are slowly turning out, and the handheld can not pick it up. I would assume that a scope would pick it up because of the high spark line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dentinator- how much did the plugs set you back each? I have a 2012 LX, that had the same issue (VTM, VSA, Check Engine all at once). They replaced the plugs, "reprogrammed" the ECM, and that's where I'm at for now. I guess I'm wondering if replacing what is supposed to be a 105K mile plug every 25K is an acceptable expence, although I suppose you'd still need to take it in to get the error codes wiped.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wanted to also say that transitions to eco mode became unnoticeable after the first time I had the transmission fluid changed by honda added bonus i guess
+1 on this. We bought our 2009 Pilot with about 24k miles on it in 2012. I think after about 6 months or so my wife and I both noticed a vibration or shudder occasionally. I had the transmission fluid changed and it went away. The fluid has been changed two more times since then because the maintenance minder has called for it and we haven't had the issue since. Seems odd to me that it would be related to VCM, but it's hard to say with engines/transmissions being so closely connected. It's not like the transmissions of 20+ years ago that we vacuum operated or electronically controlled but gave no feedback to the engine.

Unfortunately ours is at the dealer right now in need of a front head replacement. That I do attribute to the VCM system. We really like the Pilot, but will be in the market for a new vehicle in another year. I doubt Honda will be in the cards unless the Pilot offers some features of its competitors.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
We bought our 2009 Pilot with about 24k miles on it in 2012.

I had the transmission fluid changed...the fluid has been changed two more times since then because the maintenance minder has called for it ...

Unfortunately ours is at the dealer right now in need of a front head replacement.
That I do attribute to the VCM system.
How many miles are on your Pilot, now?
What was the typical mileage interval between engine oil changes?
Conventional or synthetic engine oil?
Have you ever let the engine oil level run low?

541 - 560 of 594 Posts