Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Here’s my 2009 ex, just installed a short ram/cold air intake hybrid thing.
Interesting mod! Some systems are quite spendy and have all the ports for the MAF sensor etc. What steps did you take to make your system work for the Pilot? Post any changes +/- from your new air intake system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How are you getting "cold air" from inside the engine compartment?
Where is the "ram" intake located?
I still have the original tubing, so it’s getting a decent amount of cold air. Not completely cold air, but I could probably build a custom airbox/heat shield.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting mod! Some systems are quite spendy and have all the ports for the MAF sensor etc. What steps did you take to make your system work for the Pilot? Post any changes +/- from your new air intake system.
I kept the rubber tube that connects to the engine breather, used the tubing for the maf that came in the kit. Also used a much better filter.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Since I'm not familiar with an '09 Pilot, where does air 1st enter the factory intake system?

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
Since I'm not familiar with an '09 Pilot, where does air 1st enter the factory intake system?
Through the piece that looks like the nozzle on the end of a vacuum cleaner hose to the right of the hood latch.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Through the piece that looks like the nozzle on the end of a vacuum cleaner hose to the right of the hood latch.

Kinda what I was thinking.👍 Sure wish that intake snorkel would fit in place of that goofy sound chamber/snorkel on the Gen 2 Ridgeline.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
Anytime you get air from inside the engine bay rather than via the wheel arch (first gen) to having the intake just above the radiator, your intake air will be hotter.
Best part of what you have done here is increase intake noise.
If that is an oiled filter, be sure to clean the intake and sensors of oil from time to time. Experience has taught me that K&n type filters do a poor job of particulate removal and the oil damages inlet manifold sensors

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Hate to be negative, but this is one of the worst mods you can put on your Pilot if you have hopes of extending the life of your vehicle. There is a fine line between letting your engine breath and clean air, not to mention the loss of air induction. These racing type air filter are the worst for letting dirt into your engine.

Reactions: aloogatr

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Hate to be negative, but this is one of the worst mods you can put on your Pilot if you have hopes of extending the life of your vehicle. There is a fine line between letting your engine breath and clean air, not to mention the loss of air induction. These racing type air filter are the worst for letting dirt into your engine.
Racers bring multiple engines (or cars) to races. They don't care about dirt. They only use filters to keep rocks, birds and flying metal shrapnel out of the engine although some circuits require stock setups.

Guess I'll be using Wix air filters now.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Racers bring multiple engines (or cars) to races. They don't care about dirt. They only use filters to keep rocks, birds and flying metal shrapnel out of the engine although some circuits require stock setups.

Guess I'll be using Wix air filters now.
It looks cool, but it is a 2009 Pilot box shape on wheels.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
But, isn't it worth it if the OP can brag to his buddies that he "installed a short ram/cold air intake hybrid thing?"

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
But, isn't it worth it if the OP can brag to his buddies that he "installed a short ram/cold air intake hybrid thing?"
It's a Honda Pilot. "Hold my beer!" moments don't usually end well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
"Yo Bro'...check out my new short ram/cold air intake hybrid thing!".

"Yo dude...that thing is totally sick Bro!"

"Yeah, and it's red! It's the S**t!"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great Job! I'm also leaning towards that idea. However a much more OEM set up. I've been tempted to try the AFE Takeda air intake for the 2016 Pilot and custom fit onto my 09 Pilot... It'll definitely require some modification but It sounds like fun and I'm always up for a challenge.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts