Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To disable the Daytime Running Lights on the 2011 Honda Pilot and probalby 2009 and 2010 Pilots as well)

1 Locate the interior fuse box next to and above the brake pedal

2 Remove fuse #18 "Daytime Running Light Main" (20 Amp) to disable the main DRL control unit - this will light the "DRL" idiot light on the dash any time the DRL would have been on

3 Remove fuse #37 "Day Light" (7.5 Amp) to disable the "DRL" idiot light on the instrument cluster

Done! no re-wiring, no resistors, no power draw, no idiot lights,
and easy to put back to factory if you want to.

·
Registered
717 Posts
With all the idiots preoccupied or multi-tasking while driving I think this "safety" feature is a pretty good idea to keep as is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I went to a AAA Driver's Safety/Defensive Driving course, and they showed us documentation that had proven vehicles driving with headlights on makes a vehicle visible 5 miles sooner than a vehicle driving with no lights on.

I've been driving for 21 years (wow that makes me feel old seeing that in writing!) and have only been in two accidents in my life, one when I was 16, and one about 3 years ago. Personally, I'd like to do whatever I can to decrease the odds of being in any more!

I just cannot fathom any reason why anyone would want/need to disable daytime running lights. Especially because the Pilot uses separate bulbs for DRL, so they aren't even wearing out the regular headlamps!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wonder if disabling "a safety" feature might make you (more?) liable if you ever end up in court after an accident? Just wondering....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if disabling "a safety" feature might make you (more?) liable if you ever end up in court after an accident? Just wondering....
I am not responsible for the legality of disabling the DRL's or anyone else actions for that matter. But to the best of my knowledge DRL's are not legally required in any state (sorry Canada, you guys are stuck with them).

Some people suggest that the widespread use of DRL's since around 1998 has decreased the practical visibility of motorcycles since they used to be the only vehicles on the road that used DRL's.

Some people just don't like DRL's. If you like them then leave them alone. If you don't, here's a simple solution. But thanks for the complaints anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
^^^Bingo! Your Police Report will document if your lights were on or off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
To the OP:

Thank you for the info. Any idea if this "daytime" fuse is used for anything else? maybe the daytime "light" sensor for the auto headlights? Does your auto headlights still work?

The debate wether or not this should be done should be in different thread considering that OP is merely providing info of a technical nature that is not illegal if done in the USA- in fact, some other manufacturers (such as toyota) provide a switch to turn DRLs off if you feel free to do so.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You are going to catch "what for" heat when you post just about any "mods" on this board. Regardless, I'd like to turn off the seat belt chime if you can figure that one out ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are going to catch "what for" heat when you post just about any "mods" on this board. Regardless, I'd like to turn off the seat belt chime if you can figure that one out ;)

Thanks. As far as the seat belt chime is concerned, i believe the chime also alerts you to when you are driving with the parking brake on. Now i don't like to discriminate against idiots, but i like this chime because i know people who frequently do this, so i'll live it for now.

So that leaves 2 relatively simple solutions:

1 disconnect the chime/buzzer, which also alerts you to the parking brake being left on while driving, doors open, and lights on after turning off the truck

2 short the 'belt latched' wires that go to the front seat buckles. Although this would solve the stated problem, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND AGAINST IT!! The SRS Airbag system also uses this indicator to determine how to fire the dual threshold airbags. Suppose you do this mod, aren't wearing your seat belt, and have a moderate to severe front end accident. the driver and passenger airbags are going to FIRE on the high stage, not on the low stage as they should for someone not wearing a belt. THIS WOULD MOST LIKELY DO SERIOUS INJURY OR WORSE TO YOU AND YOUR PASSENGER. I am not an attorney, but i would assume an injured passenger or driver would have a civil case against an owner who did this mod that ended up being the proximate cause of injury above and beyond what they otherwise would have sustained.

Bottom line: Do what you want. If it were me, I would disconnect the chime.

There is one other possible solution that is better, but it requires a bit more digging...

·
Banned
245 Posts
I am not responsible for the legality of disabling the DRL's or anyone else actions for that matter. But to the best of my knowledge DRL's are not legally required in any state (sorry Canada, you guys are stuck with them).

Some people suggest that the widespread use of DRL's since around 1998 has decreased the practical visibility of motorcycles since they used to be the only vehicles on the road that used DRL's.

Some people just don't like DRL's. If you like them then leave them alone. If you don't, here's a simple solution. But thanks for the complaints anyway.
i ride a motorcycle and feel DRL should only be allowed on them. too many morons on the road who can not judge speed and distance of bikes.(or any vehicle for that matter) then they pull out in front of you. you should have your license taken away for a MINIMUM of 5 years if found at fault for any "ACCIDENT" let these people use public transportation instead. what if an airline pilot had "one little accident?"

·
Registered
106 Posts
Slight difference for 2012

I tried this on a 2012 Touring. The circuit seems to be different than the OP's 2011; when I removed both fuses (#18 "Daytime Running Light Main" and fuse #37 "Day Light"), the DRL's turn off & there is no error light/message, HOWEVER the high beams do not work at all.

For the 2012, just remove fuse #37 "Daylight"- this disabled the DRL's, I got no error light/message and the high beams work fine. I also made sure the auto headlights work too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Disable drl

I needed to know how to disable the drl because I go to the drive in movies often and need to turn the vehicle on to run the heat or a/c but never could until I saw this forum and discovered that with the parking brake on before turning the ignition on disables the drl. Thank you for that information. I agree with those who said drl is a good thing. It is a safety feature and should be mandatory on all vehicles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I tried this on a 2012 Touring. The circuit seems to be different than the OP's 2011; when I removed both fuses (#18 "Daytime Running Light Main" and fuse #37 "Day Light"), the DRL's turn off & there is no error light/message, HOWEVER the high beams do not work at all.

For the 2012, just remove fuse #37 "Daylight"- this disabled the DRL's, I got no error light/message and the high beams work fine. I also made sure the auto headlights work too.
I assume this would work the same for a 2013 pilot?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'll bite and tell you at least one great reason to temporarily disable the DRLs. I went to a drive-in movie recently, one of those muggy nights where you want the car on to get a little A/C and defrost going. Clearly, having the car on turned on my DRLs so after pissing the guy off in front of me every time I turned on the car to kill the heat/himidity, I pulled the fuse for the DRLs for the night. I have to admit I put it back in as soon as the movie was over though.

*I clearly didn't read through the entire forum before posting this...I'll leave it as a repeat but someone just said the same thing. lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'll bite and tell you at least one great reason to temporarily disable the DRLs. I went to a drive-in movie recently, one of those muggy nights where you want the car on to get a little A/C and defrost going. Clearly, having the car on turned on my DRLs so after pissing the guy off in front of me every time I turned on the car to kill the heat/himidity, I pulled the fuse for the DRLs for the night. I have to admit I put it back in as soon as the movie was over though.

*I clearly didn't read through the entire forum before posting this...I'll leave it as a repeat but someone just said the same thing. lol[/QUOTE

Next time you're at a drive in movie theater...drive your pilot to your spot then turn off the vehicle then put the "parking brake ON" and turn your vehicle back ON and now your DRL is OFF while its running in parked!

·
Registered
56 Posts
The daytime running lights are activated when the parking brake is released. Once they are on they will stay on until the engine is shut off. If you need to move the vehicle and keep your running lights off do not fully release the parking brake pedal. You could release it enough to stop the disengage the brakes but not so much that the switch is tripped.

Studies show that daytime running lights increase safety substantially. Don't bypass them.
...That said, in the rare instance that the background behind you is illuminated at the same intensity that the running lights are perceived by those observing your approach could be the very rare time that lights would make you less visible. This was shown as a useful form of camouflage for airplanes during WWII.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a 2015 Honda Pilot just a couple of weeks ago and I was told by the manufacturer to leave the Daytime Running light always on. I agree. However, recently I parked the card while I was having a hair cut and my brother turned the off thinking that it would be wasting battery. He toughed the stick on the left. Now, I do not know what setting it was before (auto, or the logo it says exterior light on). Can anyone help? He touched the

1 - 20 of 35 Posts