Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I noticed that the first step on most videos was left out which is to remove the internal panel that is located by the passengers right foot. Was that step included in your procedure and left out of the pictures or were you able to complete the filter change without removing those panels?
I didn't need to remove it using the OP's method described at the beginning of this thread.

·
Registered
123 Posts
anyone have issues removing the GB tabs? I pushed the ourside clips in, but they are attached on a third point, and I dont see how they can be pushed into the box and be detached. i must be missing something here. 2007
I know I replaced the cabin air filter immediately when I purchased our '05 Pilot three years ago but I can't remember if I removed the GB tabs or not. I also have a '98 CRV (bought new) and every tutorial for this job on that vehicle mentions to remove the the tabs on the side but I discovered it wasn't necessary as you can angle it out of the cavity without dealing with those (sometimes) stubborn tabs. I just remove the phillips head GB hinge screws and then I just move it around until it's free.

I have to replace the cabin filter on my Pilot very soon but I refuse to pay the crazy prices the dealers and retailers are asking for this simple part. There are a several great ebay sellers who offer high-quality filters for around $6-$7 so I'm gonna buy several so I'll have some in my inventory for the future.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Just did this again today, after doing it in April of 2015. It probably could've waited several months more, but since I was rearranging stuff in the glove box, I was just about halfway there anyway. It's even easier after you've done it once, and since I had gotten a three-pack of filters last time, I already had one on hand, and I still have another one left for the next time. At $11 a pop (and free DIY installation), it's nice to freshen up the cabin air, plus there was a little debris, mostly pine needles, in there I took out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cabin filter replacement for my 2007 Pilot is a pain in the ass. The previous owner cut the plastic trip and it was still a pain. It's awkward to get to even with the seat as far back as it can go. I don't know why Honda would make it so difficult to replace. It's a few minute job in a Toyota. I used an active carbon filter in mine. I found bees, pollen, tree droppings, etc. in my old filter. I would definitely recommend replacing it every year or two, as well.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Replaced the filters in my Pilot two weekends ago. It was very easy to DIY. I am at 100k miles now and this was the first time it was done, so I used a jigsaw to cut the plastic.

Then I replaced the filters in my Nissan Quest minivan and cursed everything in the process. Pilot is a sweetheart compared to Quest. But I still miss my 2005 Accord where it was done by merely dropping the glovebox.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Edit: I just found a Youtube video for the 2009. You drop the glovebox, and you have easy access to the filter box with no cutting. Easy easy. Disregard my original post below, thanks!

I've searched for the 2009 Pilot, but this is the main thread I can find. Anyone know if this technique by the OP works for a 2009 Pilot as well? Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
does someone have this set of instructions compiled to a pdf? none of the pics show as it looks like poster's over their photobucket limit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
What's yours look like? The video from filter heads posted in reply 155 looks like my sister's 2003

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
does someone have this set of instructions compiled to a pdf? none of the pics show as it looks like poster's over their photobucket limit.
It's not necessarily that the OP is over his limit. Photobucket just shifted into greed mode and [email protected]¢#ed over its longtime users.

https://www.techspot.com/news/69991-photobucket-faces-wrath-users-after-quietly-introducing-400.html

That's why it's usually a good idea to upload DIY guide and other pics directly to this site. This site had a Great Crash a couple of years ago, however, when a great deal of images also went to that great recycle bin in the sky and were lost for good as well, so nothing's forever in this Virtual Age. Sic transit gloria mundi.

·
Registered
84 Posts
thanks for the info. i was able to piece together what i needed to know from some other posts where the pics were still here. key thing i found out was that you didn't have to disassemble fully the right side of the gb hinge to do this.
i did take it all apart...and it was still easy enough to put it all back together.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
You're right, :needpics: So here they are:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
...and the rest:

(Curses be upon Photobucket :cursin:.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI, when I changed my air cabin filter week ago in my 05 Pilot I discovered plastic bar in front of the element was cut in the middle and was still in place wrapped /connected with duct tape. I was able to remove duct tape, spread plastic bar apart and replace filter without problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been lurking around here for a few months, just joined :)
I just followed this procedure to replace the cabin air filter in my 2004 Pilot and discovered that the plastic bar was intact! Apparently I was the first one to replace the filter on this car. Needless to say, the filter and box was pretty dirty.
Car has 174,000 miles on it.
Thanks OP for this this thread, didn't think about changing the filter before seeing this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2004 Pilot was serviced at the dealer for the first 120K mi and it turns out they not only cut the plastic bar but removed the metal bar as well. Now just drop the glove box and there is the filter. No problems with no metal cross bar

·
Registered
3 Posts
dont see how it can be done without cutting hte plastic bar but....who cares! it was quick and easy and im SOO grateful for ALL the wonderful DIY posts on this forum!!

Just bought a 2007 PILOT down here in Merida, Yucatan Mexico and im so amazed that ALMOST everything on this truck still works perfectly and it runs like a dream! Im checking off all the tick boxes that I have written down after a few months lurking here as far as "better safe than sorry" maintenance and moving right along!!

Next up are the PCV valve and full tranny flush and tranny fluid replacement...
I pulled the second row of seats out first day (its now a second "couch" in the spare room after bolting them to a pair of pine 4x4s and throwing a sarong over top) and theres plenty of room for camping, surfboards, MTB etc...while I still have the option to pop up the 3rd row of seats in CASE I ever have more than 2 people in the truck.

Love it! So glad to have found this forum...really helped convince me to try a honda after YEARS of Ranger 4x4s...

161 - 180 of 184 Posts