Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
'03 odyssey has the exact PITA arrangement of the filter, The later Ody's moved to put the filter parallel to that structural support bar (that you need to remove) so avoids that step (I'm told).

I have a '09 Pilot now and wondering how different this process is.

IIRC, I had about 120k Kms (bought at 94K kms) on my Ody when I changed the filter, I had to cut that plastic bar away ;). Yep., it had never been changed.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
'03 odyssey has the exact PITA arrangement of the filter, The later Ody's moved to put the filter parallel to that structural support bar (that you need to remove) so avoids that step (I'm told).

I have a '09 Pilot now and wondering how different this process is.

IIRC, I had about 120k Kms (bought at 94K kms) on my Ody when I changed the filter, I had to cut that plastic bar away ;). Yep., it had never been changed.
The Honda Pilot Cabin Air Filter for the 2009-current are easier to remove than the previous models...so much easier.

Infact here is a video if you want to accomplish this DIY task. It would probably take 2 minutes or less...unless you also vacuum out the cabin air filter housing after removing the old filter, prior to installing the new one.

Enjoy: Cabin Filter Replacement: 2009-2013 Honda Pilot - 2009 Honda Pilot Touring 3.5L V6

·
Registered
759 Posts
I replaced mine on my own. I used a dremel tool to cut the plastic. Drop the glove box, cut the plastic, remove the bar, and replace filter. There are detailed instructions on this board on the procedure. You only need a socket set. Don't be shy. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you to the original poster for this write-up. I did this today and while it took a little more finagling of the crossbar and support of the glovebox than the write-up explains it took me less than 30 mins to accomplish. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cabin Air Filter R&R

Hey, Thanks a ton. I'm just getting ready to do that job on my daughters 2005 Pilot. A little more involved than I figured, but easily doable, thanks to you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just did this install after reading this thread. Perfect.

This last winter on really cold days I noticed my blower motor making noise. I suspected the cabin filter because with over 90,000 miles it had never been changed.

The metal bar need a little persuasion to get out, and I think I scratched the center console plastic, but otherwise easy ordeal overall. The vacuuming took longer than the filter change.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great instructions. I did this a couple of months ago and discovered some animal nest parts. Sound disappeared immediately. The hardest part frankly is seeing what you are doing, and positioning your body to do it.

This forum is awesome - I hope I can replace my '03 felled by a tree over the holidays and get another 256K miles out of the next one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the great tutorial and fantastic pictures. I did it all from my cell phone in the car. Fast and easy. Hardest part was getting the bottom phillips screw back in while holding the GC door. My filter was so dirty the air flow was cut at least in half. What a difference now. Haven't had this much air flow in years.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Seven years later, the OP's DIY is the gift that keeps on giving. Saved the $160 plus taxes the dealership charges.

Just did this today with filters I ordered from FilterHeads.com - Part Number AQ1054 (got their 3 for $34 deal), and the simpler technique in this thread, dangling the glovebox, is more efficient than the one in the filterheads video.

Thanks, Armystrong. :7:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Changed it out this weekend. Everything went smooth till the second last step. Stripped the threading on the last hex bolt that holds the glove-box hinge to the dash on the left side -- turning, turning, turning… no advancement ! Quick trip to the hardware store -- identified bolt as "M5" threading, 20 mm & matching washer. Problem solved for now.

The anchoring nut that accepts this bolt appears very flimsy -- hardly any threading to speak of. They have a similar U-spring type anchor at the hardware store, but with 3-4 threads. This will be replacing what is there now the next time I do this.

Thanks to Armstrong, I did not even attempt to take the right bolt off -- now, that would been a real nightmare !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently brought my 2007 Pilot to the dealer to get the cabin air filter replaced. I brought my vehicle to Midas 2 years ago and had it replaced. When I checked the car before bringing to Honda Dealership I noticed that the plastic cross bar was not cut off to access the cabin filter housing and I suspected it wasn’t done. I figured that the dealership would do it correctly. When I returned home after the dealership I noticed the plastic bar still wasn’t cut off. I thought could the dealership cheat me as well. I searched the internet and I found this website. In this forum on the bottom of page 9 user beer4799 posted, “You can replace the cabin filter by scrunching the filter diagonally and squeezing it in. I have done it and it is a time saver. Honda tech hipped me to it. If there is a shortcut, the mechanics will figure it out.” I then went back to my Pilot and access the cabin filter housing with the cross bar in place; I noticed a new cabin filter in the housing. Should I complain to the dealership to say it was not per the service manual and by squeezing the filter, you compromised it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hi HenryD, welcome to the board!

A paper filter with paper edges may be compromised, while a synthetic media filter with silicone edges will probably be fine. That being said, the cabin air filter holder on my '05 is not a real high precision seal like the engine filter. It sits pretty loosely in there.

I prefer to do this job myself, as the last time I did it, there was mounds of tree leaf and nut debris moldering in there... on both sides of the filter! A busy tech would probably just jam a filter on top of all that mess and move on. I had to rig up an improvised thin nozzle to vacuum it out of there, then bought one for next time: Amazon.com: Shop-Vac 9017900 1 1/4-Inch Flexible Crevice Tool: Home Improvement

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the advice HangFire

I guess the next time I'll change the cabin filter myself. I like the vacuum crevice tool. Was looking for a similar tool to vacuum the lint out of the clothes dryer.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just finished. Tutorial worked great. Only problem i encountered was whoever changed it last changed up where hex bolts & screws go. I cant lay on the floor board to see so i had to go by feel. The first few minutes i spent trying to remove a hex bolt with a screw driver! As you guessed, that didnt really work out :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I noticed that the first step on most videos was left out which is to remove the internal panel that is located by the passengers right foot. Was that step included in your procedure and left out of the pictures or were you able to complete the filter change without removing those panels?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you for the tutorial I'll be doing this on my 2005 very soon

The education of a man is never completed until he dies.

- Robert E. Lee

141 - 160 of 184 Posts