Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -

I wonder if anyone is having problems with their E-Z Pass....I am. It seems to not be reading......(but I also haven't tried it holding the pass out the window) - it is intermittent - and has worked pretty reliably in the past, in the Pilot.

The E-Z Pass web site says this:

"The vehicles listed below are equipped with special windshields that contain metal in the glass(metal oxide) that prevents the E-ZPass tag from being read properly. Windshields with solar ray glass, solar tint, heated or heat reflective windshields, and insulated or Insta-Clear glass may also prevent the tag from being read properly. Customers with these windshields might need to obtain exterior tags. If you are unsure about whether your vehicle has one of the mentioned features, contact the dealer where you purchased your car. "

These are the Honda vehicles listed as having metal oxide:

Accord 01-03
Civic Hybrid, Pilot 03
CR-V 01-02
Insight, Passport 02
Odyssey, Prelude 01

Strange - it has worked in the past .......I don't really want an exterior pass......

BTW - a Rant here: I did call E-Z Pass, and they are sending me a new one....and asked me to send the old ones (I now have two that do not work) back via certified mail at my expense. Yeah right. My expense. I told the rep no f-ing way, but would be happy to send them if I was sent a pre-paid envelope.

One other rant about E-Z Pass: I also wanted to update my records with the Pilot's plate info. Then I thought better of it - thinking violations could be avoided if they had the plate information from a car that's no longer in existence. So I played like I couldn't remember the license plate number, and told her I would call back. Get this - the rep blamed the non-working E-Z Pass on a non-matching license plate number on the account. She told me that once they had that information, the E-Z Pass would again function properly. I called her on that, saying it was utter B.S., and that for years I have been using my E-Z Pass in various cars, some of them not even mine, including a rental car. We had some words, and I even got the impression that she believed what she was saying, so I let it go - you never know what they tell those reps in their training sessions......I just hate being lied to. At any rate, I am still expecting a new tag in the mail next week.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If it was working in your Pilot and now it's not, it stands to reason it's the pass.

Also, about 2-3 years ago, I was told to exchange my existing pass for a new one (something about a new design, as I recall). First they sent a letter informing me that they would be sending me a new pass, instructions, and a pre-paid envelope for the exchange. Then they actually did what the letter said, making the letter superfluous and a waste of taxpayers' money.
:3: :confused: :8: :bonk:

·
Registered
234 Posts
No problems for me with the E-Z Pass in the Pilot (even though it has a non-matching license plate number) ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
EasyPass Gone Bad

I had an EZ-Pass go bad last year. It was working fine one day, in a 2001 Toyota Avalon, and the next day, it stopped working. I got a ticket in the mail, called EZ-Pass, they told me to send the old EZ-Pass back to them through regular mail, and they sent me a new one. They cancelled the ticket and the new one they sent me works fine.

My EasyPass works fine in my 2003 Pilot. However, on many cars, there is some metal in the windsheild (orange/brown dots) at the top middle of the windshield. I am not sure what this is (antenna, sun deflector etc.) but whatever it is, I am told it affects the EZ-Pass and you shouldn't afix it to this spot. Instead, put your EZ-Pass directly behind your rear-view mirror. An added advantage is that it is not in your line of sight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There has recently been some news that there were a batch of EZ-Pass tage whose batteries died prematurely (they can not be replaced...you have to replace the unit). When mine stopped working in my Mazda 626, they sent me a new one with a mailer to send the old one back (pre-paid). The new one works fine on my Pilot.

BTW: I thought there was something in the manual about not taking the tag into other cars. They do, in fact, take pictures of license plates and match them on ocassions...or so I have read.

--Bret

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: EasyPass Gone Bad

PepinTheShort said:
. . . However, on many cars, there is some metal in the windsheild (orange/brown dots) at the top middle of the windshield. I am not sure what this is (antenna, sun deflector etc.) but whatever it is, I am told it affects the EZ-Pass and you shouldn't afix it to this spot. . . .
Not the DOTs again.

The metal thay are talking about is a film in the window. The dots should have little effect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
<< One other rant about E-Z Pass: I also wanted to update my records with the Pilot's plate info. Then I thought better of it - thinking violations could be avoided if they had the plate information from a car that's no longer in existence. So I played like I couldn't remember the license plate number, and told her I would call back. Get this - the rep blamed the non-working E-Z Pass on a non-matching license plate number on the account. She told me that once they had that information, the E-Z Pass would again function properly. I called her on that, saying it was utter B.S., and that for years I have been using my E-Z Pass in various cars, some of them not even mine, including a rental car. We had some words, and I even got the impression that she believed what she was saying, so I let it go - you never know what they tell those reps in their training sessions......I just hate being lied to. At any rate, I am still expecting a new tag in the mail next week.

>>

Wait a minute. The E-Zpass is not working from your pilot and you are not giving them the plate number? That's a no no.. you want to make sure that you give them all the vehicle plate number that you intend to use E-Zpass from.

I learned it the hard way! A few years ago, my wife was racking up about $500 worth of violation because the tag was not registering. We would not get the violations until the month after and let me tell you they came like my daily newspaper. It took me weeks to work it out with them and someone was actually smart enough to double check my plate number and guess what.. It did not match with what they have in the system.

So the person on the phone is actually correct in a way. Even if the E-Zpass doesn't register, they matched your plate number with the computer system. How do you think they know it's you who viloated the toll? Cause they capture your license plate number. I still have a problem with the pass not registering sometimes but the bill comes in as Toll Violation with the correct amount deducted from my account.

As for keeping the defective transponder. Make sure they don't have a deposit of each of the transponder that is assigned to you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
Hello all -

I wonder if anyone is having problems with their E-Z Pass....I am. It seems to not be reading......(but I also haven't tried it holding the pass out the window) - it is intermittent - and has worked pretty reliably in the past, in the Pilot.

The E-Z Pass web site says this:

"The vehicles listed below are equipped with special windshields that contain metal in the glass(metal oxide) that prevents the E-ZPass tag from being read properly. Windshields with solar ray glass, solar tint, heated or heat reflective windshields, and insulated or Insta-Clear glass may also prevent the tag from being read properly. Customers with these windshields might need to obtain exterior tags. If you are unsure about whether your vehicle has one of the mentioned features, contact the dealer where you purchased your car. "

These are the Honda vehicles listed as having metal oxide:

Accord 01-03
Civic Hybrid, Pilot 03
CR-V 01-02
Insight, Passport 02
Odyssey, Prelude 01

Strange - it has worked in the past .......I don't really want an exterior pass......

I have EZ pass ( lower metro area NY) in my Honda Pilot and it has always worked properly. No different than my Toyota Van the Pilot replaced. It is mounted on the windshield behind the mirror ( not where the dotted area is. ) Have been using it since March without errors, here and in NJ.

I wonder about those External EZPass devices that bolt over the top portion of your License Plate. Seems that they are perfectly positioned to get "beat up" by people hitting your bumper when parking. On top of that, they may be "illegal" by NYC Police interpretation of State regulations concerning the display of license plates. The NYC Police have been ticketing people for ANYTHING that covers any part of the plates. (even the plastic frames that the dealer gives you when you take delivery) They claim that it is not permissible to block the view of any portion of the plate. The external EZpass device blocks much of the top part of the plate and makes the text there (New York)unreadable. I wonder if they are ticketing people for those.

( I'm not kidding about those tickets and the reason. They even ticketed a religious ed teacher's car for having a Honda dealer's plastic license plate frame because they said it covered the extreme bottom edge of the words "The Empire State" !!

·
Registered
305 Posts
another poster is right, the batteries do die in these things.

As far as the plate matching up... that's silly. I've gotten violation notices in the mail because I was driving a rental or my wife's car (which didn't have EZpass at the time) and, in my commuting stupor, went through the ezpass lane. When the notices came, I just filled out the form with my ezpass information from my car and sent it back. Never heard another word about it.

and there are many times that I drive through, in another car, holding my ezpass and the world doesn't implode.

·
Registered
7 Posts
<< As far as the plate matching up... that's silly. I've gotten violation notices in the mail because I was driving a rental or my wife's car (which didn't have EZpass at the time) and, in my commuting stupor, went through the ezpass lane. When the notices came, I just filled out the form with my ezpass information from my car and sent it back. Never heard another word about it.

and there are many times that I drive through, in another car, holding my ezpass and the world doesn't implode.>>

The plate matching is a 2nd way for them to charge your account so they can avoid having to send out violation letters. You said it yourself. There are times that you use E-ZPass on other vehicles and you got notices while there are times that it works perfectly. The bottom line is that the E-Zpass transponder doesn't register correctly everytime. The plate matching saves you the hassling of having to fill out the dispute forms everytime it failed.

If you have your plate number register with your E-ZPass account, try this next time. Go through the E-ZPass lane with your transponder at home. Write down the date and look at your next E-ZPass statement. You will see that it's deducted off your account. I know this is the case when I cross the bridges between PA and NJ.

·
Registered
305 Posts
actually, no, the times I received the notice, I did not have the pass with me and, out of habit, went through the ezpass.

interesting about not having it, but having the right plate registered. Never tried that. i think I might have to just as an experiment.

seems really odd if it works, though. i mean, then why have the transponders at all? Just have people register their plates and charge based on that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We had a relatively new EZ-Pass which we used in our old car (Lexus ES300) before trading it in for the Pilot. Everything worked fine. As soon as we moved the EZ-Pass to the Pilot and updated the information at EZ-Pass, we kept receiving the message "Go" at toll booths.

After numerous calls to EZ-Pass to try to track down they problem, they blamed it on the windshield and sent us an external unit which bolts to the license plate. Since then, it has worked without problems and we don't have the EZ-Pass box hanging on the windshield.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hmm... any Oklahoma users having problems with Pikepass? I'm not, though my '02 CR-V is listed as having the same metal oxide windshield.

·
Registered
115 Posts
yolk said:
No problems for me with the E-Z Pass in the Pilot (even though it has a non-matching license plate number) ;)
Because of these postings on non- matching numbers, I checked my account. Seems I forgot to change my vehicle and plate number when my Pilot replaced my Toyota back in March with new plate numbers to boot.

We have NEVER had any problems with the Honda and changed plate numbers, even though we neglected to tell EZ Pass. Apparently since my vehicle change (family van to SUV) didn't trigger any notice, the plate number mismatch had no ill effect. I guess there would have been an issue if for some reason my transponder did not work properly.

We of course just updated their records.

Have to say, we love the EZ PASS program. We got EZ Pass immediately on launch in the NYC area. We have been very satisfied with it, had no billing or charge errors and no violations since the start. I feel that it is a great program.

One complaint. In New York, NJ and PENN the toll booths are marked clearly for "EZ PASS". On a recent trip on the MASS Pike, the equivalent is NOT marked EZ PASS. It has a different name (Fast pass?) So I didn't take a chance. and used the manual ticket lanes.

Turns out the EZ Pass is accepted there. So much for standardized terminology!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Loutog -

FYI - there is (or was) a small sign at the Mass Pike toll booths that says "E-Z Pass" accepted)......but, like you, I drove through it once or twice before noiticing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One national product?

I live in WI, but do enough driving in FIB-land (IL) to warrant having an I-Pass. Having just been out East for vacation and seeing the EZ Pass, they appear to be VERY similar animals. The question is, how similar?

Obviously not all states have toll roads, and not all that do use this new technology, but... if they do, does the same transponder work for all the systems, or is this a state-by-state or regional thing?

Anyone happen to know?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: One national product?

mcardle said:
. . .
is this a state-by-state or regional thing?

Anyone happen to know?
State by State of course. Anything else would be un-american!
Occasionally a few states get together by accident (like EZ-Pass)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Virginia has a Smart Tag system which is not currently compatible with E-Z Pass, but they are investigating going to an E-Z Pass compatible system.

·
Registered
115 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
Loutog -

FYI - there is (or was) a small sign at the Mass Pike toll booths that says "E-Z Pass" accepted)......but, like you, I drove through it once or twice before noiticing.
Probably same as my experience. I saw that notice at the tollbooth on the EXIT from the Mass Pike. I didn't see anything as I approached (at a higher speed) the tollbooths on my entry to the MassPike. Now I know.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts