Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Pilot EX-L w/795 miles:

I just wanted to share my results after having a buddy install Dynamat (he was a high end car stereo installer for years). I had him do all the doors, floorboards and lift-gate. He also threw foam into the back of the rear lift-gate. The end result was fantastic!

The "booming" over bumps is gone. The suspension is quiet and the Pilot is an absolute joy to drive. All I hear now on the freeway is wind noise. We found there was ZERO factory sound deadening in the doors. Even my buddy was surprised that Honda skimped on this after years of him pulling off door panels on vehicles. He said he'd never seen one w/o at least something in the doors.

The doors now are heavier to close and do it with a distinct "thud" and not a tin can sound. It feels as if I added twenty grand to the purchase price of the Pilot because it has a much more "vault like" feeling when driving. The Pilot is now actually quieter than our Mercedes ML350.

I wonder if the complaints about the Pilot's noisy ARD suspension may not be as bad as it is being painted? In my case, I found it a simple lack of sound deadening. Also, when I changed to Michelin tires a month before adding the Dynamat, I noticed a decrease in rough pavement road noise. This is why I was tempted to pull the door panels and take a look.... once I did this, it was easy to move forward with the Dynamat idea.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for posting !!! I did a similar, but less intense job on our '17 Corvette Grand Sport. I did take decibel readings before and after and saw about a 3 to 4 db drop after putting in Dynamat as well as another foam sheet product in the back hatch of the Vette. I didn't pull out the seats, or do door panels. Mostly just behind the 2 seats and the rear hatch area and "hump".

I'd be curious if the Touring ( which I own), or Elite have any sound deadening materials in the doors or if they are like the EX L. I think our Pilot seems pretty quiet on the road as compared to the '15 Odyssey that we traded in for it a year ago. Now you have me curious...... I'll take some sound decibel readings at different speeds to see what I get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I also heard somewhere that the upper two trims (Touring & Elite) have more sound deadening... however, that may actually just be the acoustic glass? And it's only the windshield, driver & front passenger window that have the different glass. Personally, I wasn't willing to pay a ton for windshield replacement in my future. I did that once on a Saab w/rain sensing wipers and never again!

I did ceramic tint all the windows (even over the rear privacy glass and sunroof) and that seemed to lesson interior noise a tad, but only higher up in the car. However, the noise(s) that bothered me when driving on rough roads was coming much lower from the floor and doors.

I don't know how much acoustic glass really is an advantage or more of a marketing tool especially when you don't include all the windows on a vehicle shaped like a box? Besides, I have a brand new 2018 Denali sitting in my garage that has the fancy pants laminate windshield and you can see where it is already separating. I won't miss GM if they go under and already selling the Denali as we speak... those bastards killed Saab!

·
Registered
1 Posts
How hard would you say it was to remove door panels? I'm interesting in adding some to my recent 2019 Touring purchase.
Or if the SD happens to be San Diego, maybe I can hire the person who did yours.

·
Registered
597 Posts

I just wanted to share my results after having a buddy install Dynamat (he was a high end car stereo installer for years). I had him do all the doors, floorboards and lift-gate. He also threw foam into the back of the rear lift-gate. The end result was fantastic!

The "booming" over bumps is gone. The suspension is quiet and the Pilot is an absolute joy to drive. All I hear now on the freeway is wind noise. We found there was ZERO factory sound deadening in the doors. Even my buddy was surprised that Honda skimped on this after years of him pulling off door panels on vehicles. He said he'd never seen one w/o at least something in the doors.

The doors now are heavier to close and do it with a distinct "thud" and not a tin can sound. It feels as if I added twenty grand to the purchase price of the Pilot because it has a much more "vault like" feeling when driving. The Pilot is now actually quieter than our Mercedes ML350.

I wonder if the complaints about the Pilot's noisy ARD suspension may not be as bad as it is being painted? In my case, I found it a simple lack of sound deadening. Also, when I changed to Michelin tires a month before adding the Dynamat, I noticed a decrease in rough pavement road noise. This is why I was tempted to pull the door panels and take a look.... once I did this, it was easy to move forward with the Dynamat idea.

Any chance he happens to have some pics of the job once completed so we can see? Would be nice to see exactly what he did to make such a difference. Might do it this spring to my 18 EXL.

·
Super Moderator
15,153 Posts
Dynamat and similar products work really well reducing the natural resonance of the panel they are attached to. Result is reduced noise level.
My own experience with it is very positive. On my wheeling truck, a big aluminum bodied V8 box, noise as measured by an iPhone app dropped by over 6db doing the interior including roof. .
I recently discovered an unopened box of the stuff (great where was that before) and did the hood and a few other spots on the fenders where I could get to. Another 1-2 DB reduction.

·
Registered
121 Posts
@2hondas2 did this about two years ago in this thread, Put Sound Deadening in my '16 Pilot, but the photos have expired. 2honda2 looks to still be active, so maybe they can re-upload the photos from the original post.

Sorry for the slow response … have not been online much lately. However, I still have most of those photos saved to my computer. I'll take a shot at reposting them by adding reply's to my original post from a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
597 Posts

hey I was wondering with the dynamite install was there dynapad put under the carpet as well or just the regular dynamat put all over. or maybe dynaliner?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts