Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

I use DW-1 because.....

• I get my vehicle serviced at the dealership and that's what they use.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • that's what Honda engineers say I should use.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I'm afraid to loose my warranty if I use something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have to for now, but when my warranty is over, I'm switching.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have been satisfied with it and see no reason to switch.

Votes: 11 52.4%
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the questions ask.
1 choice only. Pick the one that's most important to you.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
I buy Swarovski crystal only because...

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kind of a skewed poll. There should be an option for "I have been satisfied with it and see no reason to switch"
As you wish.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
As the questions ask.
1 choice only. Pick the one that's most important to you.
Where's the choice ... Only because my Walmart ran out of Valvoline Max Life full synthetic?? or ... Because I'll need an excuse to buy a new Pilot in a couple years???

·
Registered
761 Posts
You really need a “It’s red, slippery and meets the spec. It just doesn’t matter as long as I change it when appropriate“

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where's the choice ... Only because my Walmart ran out of Valvoline Max Life full synthetic??
If I couldn't wait for VML to get back in stock, I'd buy Amalie Universal Synthetic. But hey, I buy the shelf when I'm at Wal-Mart. Never go unprepared.

or ... Because I'll need an excuse to buy a new Pilot in a couple years???
The Mrs wouldn't fall for that. She knows me to well. I've already been threatened not to bring anymore vehicle to the house. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You really need a “It’s red, slippery and meets the spec. It just doesn’t matter as long as I change it when appropriate“
I disagree. I believe what fluid you use can prolong the life of your transmission, and increase or decrease the need for repair.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
If I couldn't wait for VML to get back in stock, I'd buy Amalie Universal Synthetic. But hey, I buy the shelf when I'm at Wal-Mart. Never go unprepared.
View attachment 144966
Couldn't agree more ... that's why I always keep spare O'Reilly and dealer CV axels in the trunk.

The Mrs wouldn't fall for that. She knows me to well. I've already been threatened not to bring anymore vehicle to the house. 🤦‍♂️
View attachment 144967
Just park them on your neighbor's lawn. We know they throw their Costco garbage on yours. Fair is fair.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's no mention of snake on the package.
I just don't see how you can improve on a non full synthetic product. It will always be more susceptible to heat.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I disagree. I believe what fluid you use can prolong the life of your transmission, and increase or decrease the need for repair.
I don't disagree with you actually, however I do question the extent of the difference. My poor Lexus IS300 has been driven pretty hard at times, it's also towed a few thousand lbs pretty frequently despite not officially being rated to tow anything. It's had all 4 corners smoking from getting the brakes hot, it's taken rides home with so much in the trunk it was on the bump stops the whole time, it's pulled jet skis in and out of the water more than 99% of the pickups on the road.

It's always had either the Toyota OEM fluid or Castrol - neither of which are synthetic as far as I know. I've targeted changes for every 60 - 70k miles or when it starts to change color. It's got ~237k miles and the trans still seems just fine. So while synthetic might allow it to last longer... I think we're likely talking about more like 300k miles vs 350k miles not 150k vs 350k. In that case you could make a strong argument that both values are likely longer than the useful life of the car... meaning that while there is a difference it may not be a "practical difference".

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see no long term benefit of the continued use of DW-1. The Honda transmissions converted from Z1 to DW-1 seem to suffer the worst. Many experiences on this forum of persons having successful results switching to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. I switched my Crosstour at 101k miles for no particular reason other than convenience. Needing a compatible ATF living in a small town. Little did I know that it would allow me to have a trouble free transmission to 260k.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts