161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Just found that Warren makes Mag1

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
@eluniversodelecuador sent a graph on this product (Idemitsu) claiming it provides a smoother shift (shift shock). I wanted to post the graph because I would say it describes exactly what I'm feeling in my 6-speed with MaxLife. I do believe that cleaning out all the black DW-1 from my transmission with MaxLife has saved it and it's operating better with zero shuttering as before. I'm not prepared to give up staying with a full synthetic alternative over going back to non synthetic, high Viscosity Index (258) product as this Idemitsu H plus is. There are full synthetic alternatives with high VI that claim to be DW-1 alternatives. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Some higher Viscosity Index Full Synthetics claiming to be ok for use as DW-1 alternatives .....
Schaeffer (180)
Amalie/Wolf's Head (180)
Motul (185)
Mag1 (196)

Feel free to add to list

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
@eluniversodelecuador sent a graph on this product (Idemitsu) claiming it provides a smoother shift (shift shock). I wanted to post the graph because I would say it describes exactly what I'm feeling in my 6-speed with MaxLife. I do believe that cleaning out all the black DW-1 from my transmission with MaxLife has saved it and it's operating better with zero shuttering as before. I'm not prepared to give up staying with a full synthetic alternative over going back to non synthetic, high Viscosity Index (258) product as this Idemitsu H plus is. There are full synthetic alternatives with high VI that claim to be DW-1 alternatives. Thoughts? View attachment 135116
It's interesting to note that Idemitsu offers so many different "flavors" of ATF.
Makes you wonder how any ATF vendor can claim that their specific blend will work in so many different vehicles.
If you define "work" as the transmission shifts through all the gears, then maybe that's possible.
Then there's the subjective consideration of how the transmission feels to the driver when it's running through the gears with any given fluid.
Likewise, how does the performance of a particular fluid last over the vehicle manufacturer's recommended service interval?
Some time ago, there was a forum member who advocated the use of MaxLife ATF. When asked how the fluid held up over the full service interval (~30K miles or whatever the MM indicates), he replied that he was changing it about every 15K miles. IIRC he sold the Pilot and bought a TRUCK.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I do both. Use Valvoline Maxlife ATF and change every second oil change. Hedging my bets and cheap insurance. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm all in on MaxLife for my 5-speed Honda's.
I'm starting to believe there's a better choice for the 6-speed.
Outside the additional forward gear, why do you feel the 6 speed Honda transmission is that much different than the Honda 5 speed? Honda makes both and recommends the same fluid( DW-1) It‘s not like its the ZF 9 speed trans.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just found that Warren makes Mag1

Warren, currently makes all the motor oil under Walmart brand. It is very good motor oil that I have used for years.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Outside the additional forward gear, why do you feel the 6 speed Honda transmission is that much different than the Honda 5 speed? Honda makes both and recommends the same fluid( DW-1) It‘s not like its the ZF 9 speed trans.
Both my 5-speed Crosstours are on MaxLife and are not holding on to the lower gear as long in transition as the 6-speed (causung shift shock). I feel that a higher viscosity full synthetic ATF may improve this. Regardless of what Honda says, it is obvious that neither one of these transmission need a 258 VI to operate properly. And a quality full synthetic can offer better protection from heat.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Some higher Viscosity Index Full Synthetics claiming to be ok for use as DW-1 alternatives .....
Schaeffer (180)
Amalie/Wolf's Head (180)
Motul (185)
Mag1 (196)

Here are some additional details on Castrol‘s line of DW-1 Alternatives:
Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi- Vehicle- Viscosity Index (161)*
Castrol Transmax Multi- Import- Viscosity Index (200)*
Castrol Transmax High Mileage- Viscosity Index (200)

*This fluid exceeds the requirements of the JASO-1A performance standard created by Japanese automobile manufacturers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Read thru all of this post on ATF, had no idea there were so many options. Thanks for the research from all of you. Interesting to see a Moderator insinuating the need to moderate the "friction" in a discussion on ATF oils. What a country.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Read thru all of this post on ATF, had no idea there were so many options. Thanks for the research from all of you. Interesting to see a Moderator insinuating the need to moderate the "friction" in a discussion on ATF oils. What a country.
I think the subject has become easier to talk about. Many of us have been loyal Honda owners for years. I feel like I speak for most..., At times we feel a little betrayed because we see a relaxing of Honda's standards and simplicity. Now with time and success stories logging lots of miles with not only other Oil, Filters, ATF, etc..., but also non OEM parts. There are still a few hardliners. We still love them.

161 - 179 of 179 Posts