Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We think that we will want to have both the Navi and DVD eventually. Which would you have delivered with your pilot and which would you try to install later and buy yourself. Right now
we are leaning toward buying the EX-L with Navi and either
buying a portable DVD or having one installed later. We have
two toddlers, so the entertainment value for them is huge.

Thanks

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think that is a wise choice. Getting the NAVI pre-installed and then getting a portable DVD sounds like the better option. Portable DVD can be utilized outside the vehicle as well.

Let me know what you decide finally. I am looking into options for portable DVD as well.

pilotowner2B said:
We think that we will want to have both the Navi and DVD eventually. Which would you have delivered with your pilot and which would you try to install later and buy yourself. Right now
we are leaning toward buying the EX-L with Navi and either
buying a portable DVD or having one installed later. We have
two toddlers, so the entertainment value for them is huge.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Get the DVD with your Pilot and get a portable navi system like Garmin SPS III at PCMall.com for $629. If you want more info on the Garmin ask WNYPILOTGUY I think his currently using this.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Or don't get either with your Pilot and get them both aftermarket. You will spend about the same for both as you would for one Honda installed option alone (ok, maybe slightly more). Also, you could get both a portable Nav and Ent Sys that could be used with other vehicles (convenient if you sometimes go on trips with other people). That's my plan. No reason to pay inflated prices for Honda Installed options that aren't any better than aftermarket options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought an EX-L RES mostly due to the fact it was available on the lot and didn't need to order and wait...:D

But, I figured DVD's would be around with not much technology change when compared to NAVI technology changes. And, most of the time, I don't need to have directions ... but admit I am naive about any other feature like gas stations/hotels and such that a NAVI may supply.

Note, the RES is integrated into the stereo/CD player and is a no brainer as far as operation, ie not a separate component under a seat or....

Another consideration we had was safety. With a 2 year old in hand, we thought having a dvd/vcr component in the cabin to fly around if in an accident was not cool. Thus, our first accessory purchase was a cargo cover to retain luggage and the like where it belongs.

Thats my two cents. Enjoy the Pilot either way!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Now that I have the RES, I don't regret it one bit. The system works very well, and the integration into the stereo system excellent and well thought out. While I would also love the have the Navi in addition to the RES, I will get much more use out of the RES.

If you have kids, you won't believe you lived without it. Slap in that Wiggles DVD and drive in peace and quiet ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
My salesman is not happy...

I, too, could not decide to DVD or not to DVD. Having 3 and 5 y.o., I thought DVD would be the natural choice. However, living in NYC means one must travel outside of the city for the greater things in life, Target, Lowes and Hancock Fabrics (I know not for much longer) and lets not forget that Queens is a maze. We opted to get factory installed NAV (looks much neater) and have installed DVD aftermarket (not the portable one).

Check out the thread below for some insight on the custom installations possible. http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44&highlight=conversion

I was particularly impressed with http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/show...62&pagenumber=4

With that said, we have changed our order from -- Forgive me HAVASU -- Havasu EX-L RES (my husband thinks the blue is girly) to Sandstone EX-L NAV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nyc

Thanks all. Also, hello to fellow NYCer (ejp). We have decided to get it with the Navi and try to get an installed DVD after. Our Pilot will almost always be used for getting out of NYC into neighborhoods we don't know. My husband also is not completely sold on the Havasu blue, so we'll take the blue or the silver which ever one comes in first. We actually know a dealer with a black pilot with DVD in stock, but think its cleaner to have the navi installed into the front deck, so we'll wait as well.

One other reason we decided to get it with the Navi is that I want to get the back camera for reversing help (for me--haven't parked anything this size in the city ever...)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm trying to get aftermarket NAVI in mine now and it is expensive and not clean. Get the car with the NAVI. -Steve

·
Registered
311 Posts
We want both!

It seems clear that a significant number of folks would like both the NAVI and the RES. I bet we see the combination coming in a few years given that the Pilot is the family oriented version of an SUV in the Honda-Acura line. Until then, if you live in a maze of roads that are a constant challenge to keep straignt and your area is well covered by the maps in the Alpine Piot system - the NAVI is really great - I use it all the time - much more than I thought I would and much more than I would use the RES. We only allow our kids to watch a video when going on long trips and that is less often than we get lost on the crazy roads around here. It's a tough call. The portable nav systems and the portable/aftermarket RES systems are fine products. They are just not as nice as having the system fully integrated as OEM equipment in your car. I want both next time.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sounds like a wide range of needs and expectations around here. For us, a NAVI would only be used on family trips or maybe when visiting someone off the beaten path. So a portable NAVI would be fine for me. As a matter of fact, a portable NAVI was already on my list of accessories for my motorcycle and for my occasional (twice a year) trips to Europe. The RES system integrates VERY well with the factory stereo system. I'm somewhat of an electronics freak and I've never seen an aftermarket system that could touch the level of integration found in the OEM model. I also underestimated how often we would use the DVD system. I figured we would use it on trips to my mothers house (once every other week 1hour drive) and to a brother's house (once every 4-6 weeks 1hour 20minutes), but we actually use it quite a bit during a typical 30 minute drive to the mall or friends & family that live closer to us. Basically, if the kids are whiney, crabby, or getting a little obnoxious, on comes a movie and all is better. :p

Chris

·
Registered
262 Posts
Vote for the Navi

I must admit, Navi was not my priority -- I have no problems using
the maps and always thought I can find 100 better ways to spend 2K.
That was until I tried the Honda Nav system on my friend's Odyssey
this summer at Cape Cod. This thing is awesome! :18:
How about looking up a list of supermarkets rated by the distance
from your current locations. How about business addresses with
phone numbers, by category.
How about exiting the highway at the first signs
of an accident ahead, and having the system recalculate the directions
and take you to the next exit via the back roads? As MasterCard commercials
like to say -- priceless!

So, after getting back from the Cape, I called the dealer and said
we want it WITH the Navi.

We do have 2 young kids, to the DVD is certainly desirable.
At the same time, I hesitate getting kids used to the idea
that 20 min trip to a mall is an opportunity to watch a
movie -- I'd much rather they talk to me, my wife or each
other. ON the longer trips -- sure. So, I have not decided
between 2 choices : one, portable DVD player for around $600
that can be taken on the plane, hotel room, e.t.c as well;
two: after-market install -- from what I read, one can easily
do just as good of a job as the OEM for the same money, and
get better features (e.g. TV tuner, vertical swivel, thinner
LCD mount, maybe even hooking up the Nav monitor to the DVD
player, ability to play mp3s). I can not think of anything
that OEM RES offers that can not be done with the after-market
for the same or less amount of money. :1:

Can one install aftermarket Navi? Sure. But: #1 I have not seen
anything better or even as good out there. Certainly not with a touch
screen navigation. The stuff that sells for $600 is a far cry from
Honda's, both in terms of functionality and safety of use. So, you
still would have to spend at least 2K on install, sacrifice the touch
screen, and I still doubt there are too many install shops out there
who can seamlessly integrate a 5 inch LCD screen into the console of the
Pilot

·
Registered
72 Posts
I second the NAV for first. You can add aftermarket DVD's that look like they are factory but no NAV you buy will look factory or have the features mentioned in the post above. All the aftermarket NAVs I have seen stick on the dash or go where the radio is with a pop-out screen.

There are several aftermarket DVD players that are located on the roof in the same place the factory one goes. Many have additional features like tuners. It would be cool to purchase the control plate for the center console between the front seats with the audio plugs and video inputs where the "Grocery Bag Holder" is without the RES system. Connect it to an aftermarket DVD system on the ceiling and no one could tell it wasn't factory.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't have either in our Black EX-L, but as far as a DVD player goes, I haven't heard anyone mention a laptop. My son has a CR-V and a 12" Apple iBook. He puts it between the front seats and plugs the sound in with one of the cassette deals like for a portable CD player. It works great. Sure keeps their 3 year old happy on trips to our house.
Like someone said, I would worry about it flying around the cabin in a crash. Just another alternative.

Rusty

·
Registered
919 Posts
Kruzo, I agree with having the kids interact with us versus staring at a screen for the short trips, but when they start getting a little too wild back there, in goes a movie. It's like magic!

I still don't know why they couldn't offer both RES and NAVI at the same time. If you take the standard NAVI configuration and drop the DVD down at the very bottom (it's only 1/2 DIN), it looks like it would all fit just fine.

Also, as I talk about how well the RES is integrated into the Pilot, I'm not simply talking about how well they fit the display into the roof, etc. It has much more to do with how well it integrates into the stereo system. Popping in a DVD automatically switches the rear audio to DVD. The front audio can either go DVD also, or it can still be used to play other sources (CD, radio, etc.) In this configuration, the rear speakers and subwoofer automatically switch off so that the kids can use the headphones without much distraction as only the front speakers are playing the music from the other source. It sounds a bit confusing, but its actually very slick. You can also control the DVD player (play, pause, etc.) from the factory stereo up front. I would recommend spending about 5 minutes in an RES equipped Pilot to get a good feel for it.

Ultimately only you can decide which one you'll get the most use out of!
Chris

·
Registered
389 Posts
I wend for the DVD. I think the after market DVD won't integrate to well with the existing honda stereo system. I believe the Honda DVD player will play soundsurround. Besides I like what the other member pointed out about the DVD being a safety feature......... kids won't whine and ask you 100 times if we are there yet.........the driver won't get too distracted with the kids at bay.:29:

·
Registered
262 Posts
aftermarket integration

From what I've seen, aftermarket DVD integrates ALMOST as nicely:
When you pop a DVD in, whoever is in the back can listen to it
on the wireless headphones; those could be RF (OEM are line of
sight, infra red, right? Are they affected by the heat?). If one wants
to play the sound over the system stereo, one simply switches the
radio to the preset station (FM Modulator), otherwise, can continue
to listen to your favorite CD (rear speaker can be turned off using
the Fader if needed). True, the Surround (if in fact OEM provides it)
sound would be lost, but I think it would be hardly noticable
unless one is parked on a quet place to watch a movie.
Now the features Aftermarket DOES add are: choice of the LCD
monitor (size, quality -- birghtness, contrast, swivel in x direction),
MP3 play via DVD player, which potentially replaces the need of
a changer, a TV tuner. All controlled via a wireless remote. Ability
to utilize the Nav monitor if you want to go wild . Also, from
what I've heard, by next spring the all-in-one units will be
available were the ceiling mounted unit will integrate both the
DVD player AND the LCD screen. Estimated price -- under 1.5K.
Simple DIY installation.

Does not sound too bad to me.

I am not making a case of Nav instead of DVD. Since both are not
available from Honda (which might have been ideal), one has to
choose what to order OEM, and what to get as an aftermarket.
All I am saying is that it makes more sense to me to get an OEM
Nav and aftermarket DVD. Now, if you can leave without one of
those, the choice is much simpler.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Agreed that there are arguements for one or the other. I think it comes down to this. Get the factory installed version of the one that you will get the most use out of. In either situation the factory unit will integrate into the vehicle better to some degree and you shouldn't compromise on your "number one" choice. An aftermarket unit that integrates somewhat less into the vehicle should be acceptable if it's going to be your less frequently used device.

I feel a bit guilty discussing these things given that RES for me as a kid was either a book or that stupid wooden triangle game with the golf tees stuck in it, and NAVI was my mom holding maps, pointing, and yelling at my dad. :rolleyes:

Chris

·
Registered
262 Posts
xyzzy said:
and NAVI was my mom holding maps, pointing, and yelling at my dad. :rolleyes:
Well, since we are now all grown up and are
on the receiving end of this "Navi", why
not make our lives a bit easier? Honda Navi has
a somewhat pleasant female voice, that NEVER
yells :2: Sounds like a no-brainer choice
to me.:2:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Case in point

here is an example of what I am talking about.
This is a post from another Honda Pilot mailing
list:

I bought a Red EX-L Last week. I wanted the NAVI
but didn't want to wait so now I am getting one after
market (not as easy as I thought) :-( Anyway, is the
unit and screen by Alpine? Is the unit the 852A? I
am not able to find an Alpine setup that has the touch
screen, I can only find the Kenwood DV2100 that has the
touch screen.

Anyone else installed after market? I am thinking to
either go with the motorized "popout" screen and just
put it below the A/C controls or else I might buy (for