Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a DVD navigation system but I don't want leather. As far as I know I have to get leather to get Honda's DVD Nav on the Pilot. Even if that weren't the case I'd still be considering aftermarket options. I'm concerned that as the technology advances and for sure maps get updated that Honda won't be as committed to making upgrades available as aftermarket companies.

I am wondering what experience you folks have with any system. I've seem permanent aftermarket options and portable ones that you could take with you on a plane and put in a rental car.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
florida_guy said:
I want a DVD navigation system but I don't want leather. As far as I know I have to get leather to get Honda's DVD Nav on the Pilot. Even if that weren't the case I'd still be considering aftermarket options. I'm concerned that as the technology advances and for sure maps get updated that Honda won't be as committed to making upgrades available as aftermarket companies.

I am wondering what experience you folks have with any system. I've seem permanent aftermarket options and portable ones that you could take with you on a plane and put in a rental car.
I use a GPS V on my motorcycle and love it. For the Pilot, I am considering the Garmin Street Pilot III. It offers autorouting (like the GPS V) plus a nice large color display. All for a LOT LESS than the Honda Nav upgrade.

rod

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: DVD Navigation Systems - Honda vs Aftermarket

colorider said:

I use a GPS V on my motorcycle and love it. For the Pilot, I am considering the Garmin Street Pilot III. It offers autorouting (like the GPS V) plus a nice large color display. All for a LOT LESS than the Honda Nav upgrade.

rod
That's one of choices high on my list. I am concerned that the fact that it's portable will make my Pilot more likely to be broken into. Smash and grab my GPS. Where would you place it if you bought one?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Re: DVD Navigation Systems - Honda vs Aftermarket

florida_guy said:

That's one of choices high on my list. I am concerned that the fact that it's portable will make my Pilot more likely to be broken into. Smash and grab my GPS. Where would you place it if you bought one?
I use RAM mounts on my motorcycle - and when I use the V now in my cage, I have one of the suction-cup mounts for the windshield. Works fine and easy/quick to remove the GPS when I park somewhere that I am concerned. When it comes time ($$$) to buy a SP III, I will look at whats available again - but will likely stick with the RAM mounts. BTW, I use "TVNAV.COM" for all of my GPS and RAM purchases. Good people and good prices.

rod

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Re: Re: DVD Navigation Systems - Honda vs Aftermarket

colorider said:

I use RAM mounts on my motorcycle
rod
What's a RAM mount. I am not a handy man by any means.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm also looking for a navigation systyem but someting permanent on my Pilot.

I check the Alpine and Kenwood systems, Alpine do not have touch screen aftermarket system, but is compatible with the Audio system on the pilot. You need the DVD player and the screen. (Alpine has a propietary contract with honda and toyota for the touch screen systems). You have to use it with a remote control.

In the other hand is Kenwood has almost the same system
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/redirectFeature.jsp?goToUrl=product.jsp?productId=747

but with the touch screen http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productId=697
this particular screen is 8"1/4 wide by 5" 1/4 hide a 1/4 to wide.

if you can installed is around $2500, if not aprox $3500

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't read that often anymore but there was lots of discussion on this back in Aug 2002 when I got my pilot. At the time I really really wanted something like the factory navi. But I ended up getting the Garmin Street Pilot III Deluxe for about $750 and could not be happier. Touch screen would be nice but being able to move it from my car to a friend's car to a rental car is nicer for me.

When I park in a place that is suspect I move it from the dash and just set it in the bottom of the center console-- it pushes back out of sight pretty well. If it is a really suspect place I am parking flip it around backward and you can't really tell what it is. You can actually get reception 75% of the time with the unit pushed back in the bottom of the center console, almost a built in look. I planned to do this and add an external antenna ($20) but turns out that spot is too far to look down to on a regular basis. On trips I have it on the dash and actually use the speedometer on the Street Pilot instead of the Honda Pilot's gague since the steering wheel obscures the latter.

I recently had visitors in town (SF Bay Area) and I gave them my '93 Saturn and the Street Pilot. If I had the built in NAVI I would have had to give them my Honda Pilot! So works great in this instance as well! :)

-pilotdude

1 - 8 of 8 Posts