Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I can not believe this, but, my better half :D did this just yesterday. She forgot to take off the parking brake and drove for almost 1 mile. She says she did not go more that 30-40 MPH.

The only reason she found out this was, that, she heard some sound, something like a hard plastic or card board hitting underneath the Pilot. She pulled over to a parking lot to check for that plastic. Did not find any thing, then started the car and NOW she sees that RED parking brake indicator.

She dove around the parking lot to check the state of the brakes. She did not see any difference and then she drove on.

This morning I tested the brakes they seem OK.

What should I do ?

1.) Take Pilot to dealer for brake check.
2.) Drive around few more days and see what happens.
3.) Just don't worry about it.

HELP. What should I dooooooooo?

Any experience?

Thanks.

KE

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Don't worry about it

The trick is to put the parking brake on hard enough so you notice it when you try to move!
The parking brake is a drum brake inside the normal disk, so you did not cause any wear on the reagular brake parts.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I recommend finding a nice quiet place where the body won't be found...

·
Registered
95 Posts
That happened to me once on our Accord. The brake was on just enouph so the car wouldn't roll when parked on level ground. I noticed the brake light was on. I then realized the anti-lock wasn't working. (This was during the winter.) Turning off and on the ignition reset everything and we never had a problem in the seven years we've owned the car.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No smell?

Usually if you have the parking brake on hard enough to cause any damage you will smell the burning pad very quickly. How do I know...?:( If she didn't smell anything there was probably no harm done.:2:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ohhh she probably already feels bad enough.....but no harm was done if she could get out of the driveway.

OK....want her to feel really dumb...have her take it to the dealer to have it looked at.....OK...OK...I'm sure you don't want to be killed, for suggesting that so keep and ear and eye on it....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Funny you should mention this....

Joined the wife and her lunch group today (got to test the three across seating in second row & this is the only way I'm going to get to ride in our Pirate). We were driving back when we heard a rhythmic noise coming from underneath. First thought it was a flat but the wagon was not leaning on one wheel. Then the wife says, oh, I had the parking brake on....

N_jay comment of having brake on hard enough in the first place is correct solution.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Potential problems

Riding with the emergency brake on for extended periods of time will result in scorching of the brake rotors and pads plus over exertion of the calipers and piston resulting in contaminated brake fluid that will render your master cylinder and total ABS system useless. But for $19.99 I can send you the remedy to this problem so you won't incur the thousands it will cost you at the dealer. This offer not available in stores...;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Been there....done that

Happened to me a few weeks ago as well. I don't think it's a big deal as long as you don't make a habit out of it.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
The PARKING Brake

Have to check, but isn't the parking brake a drum type inside the center of the rear disks?

Leaving it on is bad, but should not effect the normal brakes.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Don't worry about it. I've done it with every vehicle I ever owned. I do try to set the Pilot's so I'll notice and release it before driving off.

When you get the pads replaced, the mechanic should adjust the parking brake back to factory tolerances.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Just Checked

Parking brake is a drum, and not part of the disk brake system.

·
Registered
162 Posts
OK, I am a dope--I, too, drove with the parking brake on today for about a mile and how did I know that I forgot to unlock the brake?
I smelled something burning :eek: :eek: :eek: !! I know that I did a bad thing, but how bad???

I just talked with a good friend who is very knowledgeable in all matters car-related (he races Porsches), and he thinks that it's fine, that I might have worn the emergency brake down a little, but not to worry about it. I checked the parking brake when I got home, parked on an incline and it worked fine, but the burning smell has me worried. How much damage do you think that I did??

Luckily, my husband is away on business and does not need to know about this. It will be our little secret, OK?:( :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
The burning smell was the pads TRYING to hold on to the rotors. Rub your hands together fast, do they start to feel hot? OK, now stop! Do they hurt, are they broke? I am willing to bet they are neither, and neither is your emergency brake. I would have the service department do a check next time it is in for oil (if it makes you feel better!)

·
Registered
592 Posts
hubby45251 said:
The burning smell was the pads TRYING to hold on to the rotors. Rub your hands together fast, do they start to feel hot? OK, now stop! Do they hurt, are they broke? I am willing to bet they are neither, and neither is your emergency brake. I would have the service department do a check next time it is in for oil (if it makes you feel better!)
Excellent advice, hubby45251 ! I don;t think its a big deal so, RELAX !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Using Parking Brake!!

If the parking brake isn't using the DISK Pads, then WHY can't it be applied when you have pressed down on the brake pedal???

ie: try using it when stopped on boat launching ramp, it really can cause problems!!! It SUCKS!!!!!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
It can be

It can be applied any time, but does not have the holding force of most brakes that share pads/shoes with the main brakes.
It also does not take advantage of the fact that the main brakes are applied when you set it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Many of my previous cars with the pedal parking brake had automatic release feature as a standard item. I was not impressed at all when I saw foot pedal parking brake on my Pilot and knew that I will forget to release it before driving off. I only park on level parking space b/c I don't want to apply the parking brake. If I have no choice but to park on sloped space, I ensure that I press the pedal real hard so I would know when I put the Tranny on D. Honda really cut the corners to save few bucks.:mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts