Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate that the parking brake is not a hand brake.

I drove for about 2 miles with it on.

Obviously it wasnt all the way down, or else i wouldn't have been able to reverse, but when i was driving i heard a bunch of thuds... thats when i realized.

Is my baby ok?

what does that affect anyways, it doesnt affect the regular brakes right?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not to worry...

The Pilot uses a small parking drum on the "car side" of the rotor. If you could move at all,l then it was not really fully engaged. There was probably not a lot of friction generated. You make probably just shaved a few millimeters of life off the parking brake. It won't even matter really.

What you may want to do is have the slack taken out of the parking brake cable. I think they set it too loose at the factory. I like the step-up parking brake to lock hard after just a few clicks -- from the factory it is 2/3 down before it will really hold -- and this makes the situation you describe all the more likely to happen.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Don't worry, I did the same exact thing last summer when I only had my car for about 2 weeks and the only way I remembered that I had put the parking brake on was I smelt a burning smell after I had driven the car the same as you, about 2 miles. I thought my husband would kill me, so I didn't tell him. I just came here and poured out my guilty soul to whoever would listen and was immediately reassured that all would be well and it was!:)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
:27: Don't do that. :14:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Not that this will help you at all, but it might help those who are still on the fence about purchasing a Pilot and find this problem disheartening.
According to several sources on this board, the 2004 Pilot will have a new alert bell that will tell you when the parking brake is on.
Yeah!! :D

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:rolleyes: I asked them about the chime for handbrake on and they do not know about it nor do they have any other chime that I can install myself to sound like factory install. mmmm, my IS300 have a chime that sounds when the handbrake is on.

·
Registered
234 Posts
philthis said:
I hate that the parking brake is not a hand brake.

I drove for about 2 miles with it on.

Obviously it wasnt all the way down, or else i wouldn't have been able to reverse, but when i was driving i heard a bunch of thuds... thats when i realized.
I guess one of the advantages of a foot brake is that when you release it, there is no reason for it to not fully release.

A while back, for some strange reason, I did not fully release the handbrake of my Integra and drove a long distance with it semi-engaged. Only thing that eventually alerted me was the fact that the brake light and ABS light was always on.

Hmmm...wonder if the chime can ever be added to an '03 Pilot...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Did that too ...

Made the same mistake a couple of times, but fortunately I didn't go far, perhaps 200 feet or so. I realized the parking brake was on because I looked at the indicator lights. I now make a habit of taking a quick look at the indicator lights just before I pull away to make sure I didn't forget to release the parking brake, and to check for any other warnings of trouble. Now I don't forget to release the parking brake any more. I think it's also a good habit to check the indicator lights every so often while driving to ensure you're warned as soon there's a first sign of any trouble. It takes seconds to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts