Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-
I am thinking about the purchase of a Pilot, but my wife is hesitant as she is not sure that she can drive such a big car (Her previous experience is with an Accord). How does the Pilot drive compared to an Accord; and is there any difficulty (blind spots, etc.)

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You are really going to hate this answer!

Go to a Honda dealer and drive them both back to back. I personally like the drive of the Accord over the Pilot in many areas. The Pilot has advantages of visability and a smooth V6 (which is optional on the Accord).

If I just wanted a drivers car, I'd chose the Acord. If I wanted space, 4 wheel drive, higher seating, and the utility, I'd chose the Pilot (or MDX if I had the $$!)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had never driven an suv until the Pilot and MDX. Always a sedan or smaller.

I have found the Pilot very easy to see out of from all directions, and after the initial fear of hitting vehicles in parking lots subsided, I can now park and back very easily. It took me about a week to feel comfortable in it.

I can say that I love being able to actually see around me now. Before, I felt like all I could see when I was driving were those taller vehicles around me. Its amazing how great it is to see again!

Several people at work have the 03 Accord, and it is a very nice looking vehicle, so you wouldn't be wrong in getting it either, but I have to say that it really is great to be in the driver's seat of a Pilot. In addition, I'm 5'4" and have no problem getting in and out of the vehicle. I don't feel like I am hoisting myself into a truck every morning like I think I would have in another suv.

I initally wanted an MDX more than you can ever imagine. But after the Pilot came out, of course I changed my mind. I have to say that after driving both, I can say the Pilot is easier to see out of than the MDX. There are more blind spots on the MDX. Even though the Pilot body is more boxy, it makes it easier to see out of. (However, one of these days, I'd like to think I will get that MDX...)

·
Registered
25 Posts
unless you really have to buy an SUV, just get a car.
I have never owned an SUV before till now.

Overall, SUV's are heavier and sl harder to drive and less
comfy than a car, for obvious reasons.

But I find the Pilot to be an easy,driveable vehicle overall.
Compared to the other SUVs with truck-like manners, the Pilot
is not too bad (and no problems with parking so far).

Pick a couple or so SUVs that u like and test drive them all. You will find that the Pilot will stand out.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
tarheelrx said:
Hello All-
I am thinking about the purchase of a Pilot, but my wife is hesitant as she is not sure that she can drive such a big car (Her previous experience is with an Accord). How does the Pilot drive compared to an Accord; and is there any difficulty (blind spots, etc.)

thanks for the help.
Hey! I'm a wife, and I'm not quite 5'4, used to drive a 94 Civic hatchback. The turning radius in my opinion is amazing for a vehicle it's size. It does not FEEL like a truck, but you do ride high like one. I think your wife will love the Pilot. I personally find it very hard to get into a car now after the Pilot's ride. I guess I'm spoiled. Go test driving and report back to us :4:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It doesn't drive like a truck, but it definitely feels bigger than an Accord. The good thing is that you're sitting much higher up, and have a great view of the road. The bad thing is that there's a *lot* of vehicle behind you, and your ability to see what's back there is decreased. Really, she's got to just go to the dealership and try it on for size.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wife and I loving our Pilot

:D My wife and I have never had an SUV prior to our Pilot (picked up a week ago!) and WE LOVE IT.

We test drove just about every SUV out there and the only one we really felt like we were in a car was the Pilot with the added benefit of sitting up so high and the great visibility.

Highly recommend if your looking for the space!

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
My wife is 5'-2" and normally drives her Toyota Corolla. She has no trouble driving the Pilot and says that it doesn't even feel like driving a "truck" (yeah, like she's ever driven a truck and knows what that's like! (oops, hope she doesn't see this)). She says that the Pilot is a pleasure to drive around in!! But she prefers her little Corolla for it's fuel economy...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Be on the lookout

In response to the fuel economy:
I feel your wife's pain! I came from a Civic VX getting a consistant 40+MPG, now in my Pilot getting just under 19-20 MPG...but incase you haven't read it yet in consumer reports, Honda is developing the Accord and Pilot Hybrids...a much needed untouched market. I personally need the space, but need the economy too. Can't wait until these are being sold:20: :20:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Short Stuff!

My wife is 5'3" and she can't get enough of the PILOT. She loves to drive it anytime she can, and she has NO problems moving the thing around.

My only complaint with my wife driving the PILOT is not having a memory option power seat.

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts