Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2020 exl awd. out of curiosity, are the everyday driving dynamics different between the two? would anything be noticeable aside from winter conditions?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,180 Posts
I own both type of Pilots.
An 08 FWD
and a 15 4WD

IIRC, there was been some, but very minor changes in the 4WD/AWD versions- still act about the same.

My opinion? Unless you are in deep mud, or DEEP snow, or not driving for the conditions,
the FWD handles everything well also.

If you need a higher towing capacity, or the driver is not really that good in different conditions,, frequent DEEP snow or ice- then the 4WDAWD is nice to have.

Case in point- this year I parked my RWD V8, posi-traction truck for the winter and drove the 08 FWD and didn't have any problems in snow, etc.

Good tires help also. I have all seasons on the 08, and the 15- not the All weather tire.

HTH

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've only noticed a big difference in bad weather. Under normal circumstances, if you put on the AWD wheel traction monitor on the dash, I think you will see it be primarily FWD on expressways.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Where I live it's primarily flat land. An AWD vehicle is not really necessary. But there is no denying the traction an AWD can give. I feel I'm making some of that up by having High Performance tires on my 2wd Pilot.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
i have a 2020 exl awd. out of curiosity, are the everyday driving dynamics different between the two? would anything be noticeable aside from winter conditions?
You might also notice the difference when accelerating on damp roads, especially on an uphill stretch.
When starting out on an uphill incline when the pavement is wet, an AWD Pilot will accelerate with little if any slip, while a front-wheel-drive version will tend to spin its wheels briefly before the traction/stability control system intervenes to reduce power.
Also, when accelerating out of a corner, you may notice that an AWD Pilot will have less tendency to understeer, as compared to a front-wheel-drive version, since the VTM-4 system sends some power to the rear wheels when accelerating.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The main thing I noticed on our initial test drive when the 2016's came out was that the FWD seemed to have a little more torque steer and broke loose easier when getting on it making a right turn in a busy intersection. That alone made the AWD worth it to me where those issues rarely creep up. Keep in mind, I lived in CA at the time and I kid around that I only need my Los Angeles driving skills when I visit the strip in Las Vegas lol. You kinda had to be aggressive out there.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Day to day driving in dry weather you won't notice a difference. On wet and snowy roads is where the AWD version shines. I also live in an area where I have to make some pretty aggressive merges and even on dry pavement AWD helps get us going and makes the maneuver safer. With a FWD vehicle (like our V6 Sonata) I have to feather the throttle to keep traction but keep enough so it doesn't upshift too soon as well.

Reactions: awd.nv and aggrex
1 - 8 of 8 Posts